Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I really getting a band around my stomach???

So went to consult and my tentative surgery date is 12/19 and I have all my pre-op required appointments made. I should be done with everything by the middle of next month. I decided the band is the way to go because the sleeve seems too drastic for me. In the past I would work out, lose some of the weight but could never keep it off. Also a bit of a Yo-Yo dieter. I have been having anxiety about failing because a lot of posts on this forum is about not losing weight or gaining weight back. But last night I was wrapping my head around the fact that, I am actually going to have a band put around my stomach because I can not control my eating. I am struggling with myself. :blink: I keep thinking "I can do it on my own, this is crazy" and then I think "you haven't been able to do this, do want to live like this forever"....OMG all I want is to wake up next year and say it was the best thing I ever did. I have recently seen posts of people who have lost 100lbs in the year and love it too. I need encouraging thoughts, words, stories. Of those who lost the weight and are loving it, was it with diet alone, band and exercise? Did you find it to be extremely hard to do? I could use some "this was the best thing I ever did" stories. :)

THANKS!

PS I will return the favor in a year to the newbies when I wake up and say "this is the best thing I ever did":D (trying to stay positive)

So went to consult and my tentative surgery date is 12/19 and I have all my pre-op required appointments made. I should be done with everything by the middle of next month. I decided the band is the way to go because the sleeve seems too drastic for me. In the past I would work out, lose some of the weight but could never keep it off. Also a bit of a Yo-Yo dieter. I have been having anxiety about failing because a lot of posts on this forum is about not losing weight or gaining weight back. But last night I was wrapping my head around the fact that, I am actually going to have a band put around my stomach because I can not control my eating. I am struggling with myself. :blink: I keep thinking "I can do it on my own, this is crazy" and then I think "you haven't been able to do this, do want to live like this forever"....OMG all I want is to wake up next year and say it was the best thing I ever did. I have recently seen posts of people who have lost 100lbs in the year and love it too. I need encouraging thoughts, words, stories. Of those who lost the weight and are loving it, was it with diet alone, band and exercise? Did you find it to be extremely hard to do? I could use some "this was the best thing I ever did" stories. :)

THANKS!

PS I will return the favor in a year to the newbies when I wake up and say "this is the best thing I ever did":D (trying to stay positive)

I am going to be banded about the same time as you. I went to a support meeting last night and the people that were banded had lost from 80 to 140 pounds. Every one of them had said it was the best thing they ever did. They were very open to share the good as well as the bad. They stressed this was only a tool. It still takes hard work and dedication. I want my life back after 40 years of trying to loose weight. Good luck and keep the faith. Donna

SkinnyMini,

It was the best thing I have ever done, to date I have lost 125 lbs including weight lost during liquid pre op. It is a combination of band, and diet. I have just started to exercise. I am 11 months out from surgery. It is definitely worth every struggle.

I was the same way, I wanted to do it on my own, without any aid. Guess what, I am. You still have to decide what to eat, there are ways around the band, you can still eat ice cream, all the bad stuff that got us this way. It is a choice, everyday.

Any questions please feel free to ask.

YOU ARE GOING TO BE SO GLAD YOU MADE THIS DECISION.... I HAD MY SURGERY IN 7/11 I HAD 2 SEE THE DR. FOR 6 MONTHS MY TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS IS 36LBS. I WAS TAKEN OFF MY DIABETES MEDS A WEEK AGO. I FEEL GREAT!!! YOU WILL TOO!! I HAVE PICTURES POSTED FOR YOU TO SEE. I HAVE 43LBS TO GO

I feel the same way, I am going to be banded next week on the 20th, I am very nervous about it but I have tried all kinds of dieting and they have not worked, I know this weight has to come off or I am going to die. Good luck with yours, Keep me in your thoughts and prayers as I have mine done

I was nervous before I was banded on February 2nd this year. I had the same thoughts. Now I am so glad I did this. I would gladly do it again. I am 8 months out and have lost 146 lbs. Just remember to work your band :) Good luck!

ROSE--Let us know how you do & GOOD LUCK!!!

I feel the same way, I am going to be banded next week on the 20th, I am very nervous about it but I have tried all kinds of dieting and they have not worked, I know this weight has to come off or I am going to die. Good luck with yours, Keep me in your thoughts and prayers as I have mine done

Yes-- Diet Soda & Haagen Daz & I, need to break up and go our separate ways. As far as food we have to have an amicable divorce. LOL

Thanks for the positive feedback everyone...keep it coming because I still have 2 months of this back and forth. :)

Skinny, I still drink diet pop, my dr says its ok????

Wayne, really??? My doctor said no more carbonated drinks :( Diet soda is my favorite and beer I enjoy socially. In fact I am in the process of weining off of it. Not sure if I could do it but Tuesday or Wednesday, I should have all the Diet Soda out of my house. Did you doctor tell you only to enjoy once in a while? Or any rules with drinking it?

My doc says that some can and some can't with the diet sofa and beer but to listen to yor body. The carbonation starving yor stomach is balogna! The main reason they say no beer/soda is bc of the empty calories! Im on preop right now and I can't wait to have BEER! I dint drink it often, maybe twice a month so I'm not too worried about the calories...just have to watch the cals. Cheers and good luck! :)

I meant stretching your stomach, not starving lol

I had my surgery 8/4/2011 and am down 46#. Best thing I ever did. If you look at the band as a tool (like a gym membership) you will be successful. It's still totally up to you to do the work. The band just makes it easier. I wish I had done this years ago. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Wow!! Skinny I have felt the exact same thing for a while..not anymore though. I lost 50 pounds over a year ago with diet and exercise...at that time I was planning on doing lap band did most of the requirements and then decided to give it one last try. I was very successful but then I started taking care of me and gained all of my weight back so now I am making the decision to stop the rollercoaster I have been on most of my life. I was down to 186 pounds...felt amazing and gained it all back! Each time I put weight on I am gifted with another weight related health issue..NOT GOOD!! So its time to take my life back! Nov 9 is the date!!