Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok!! Is Anyone 100% Happy W/ The Lap Band?? And Successful

I had the Realize Band on 1/9/09 and I consider it a 100% success. I'm within 15 pounds of my target weight but where I differ from many of the folks on this forum is that I eat and drink everything I want. I sip a glass of wine with dinner and I have a small cup off coffee in the morning with Breakfast. Let me preface that by saying the my previous obesity was a result of eating too much food, not from eating the wrong foods. I'll have a piece of bread here and there and I always leave room for desert...the only difference is now I eat a quarter of the food I used to eat.

I had the Realize Band on 1/9/09 and I consider it a 100% success. I'm within 15 pounds of my target weight but where I differ from many of the folks on this forum is that I eat and drink everything I want. I sip a glass of wine with dinner and I have a small cup off coffee in the morning with Breakfast. Let me preface that by saying the my previous obesity was a result of eating too much food, not from eating the wrong foods. I'll have a piece of bread here and there and I always leave room for desert...the only difference is now I eat a quarter of the food I used to eat.

I used to eat too much too but I always ate healthy 90% of the time. I think lap band is perfect for people like this. Also I feel its perfect for people who arent prone to grazing on bad food choices. As long as you stick to your solid healthy foods the lap band is a happy camper. Also being pyshiscally forced to eating slow and chewing more then in the past is such an huge helper in losing weight. Every single time id eat before being banded I would inhale food and be overstuffed before I could tell I was full. Now that I am forced to eat so slowly the fullness is EASILY detected making it very easy to stop. For me anyway. After only 7 months im very used to eating slow and chewing and its second nature. Took some getting used to but Im happy its a new habit.

Basically try to limit the sliders, no grazing and bad food choices 95% of the time and I feel its a win with the band. Oh and some exercise too. :)

Also being pyshiscally forced to eating slow and chewing more then in the past is such an huge helper in losing weight. Every single time id eat before being banded I would inhale food and be overstuffed before I could tell I was full. Now that I am forced to eat so slowly the fullness is EASILY detected making it very easy to stop. For me anyway. After only 7 months im very used to eating slow and chewing and its second nature. Took some getting used to but Im happy its a new habit.

Exactly! Our mothers and grandmothers always new the secret....chew your food well, eat slowly, put the knife and fork down between bites! If we had heeded that advise in our youth we might never have gotten to the point where we needed the band in the first place!

wow I like that this guy walks from 4am to 6am. Being disciplined is very important

1000 PERCENT HAPPY WITH MY BAND!!!!! 88 pounds in just over 6 months. This NEVER would have happened without the band - not even close. Best decision I ever made!target.gif

Make that 117.2 pounds in just over 9 months - LOVE MY BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have noticed that the ones that dont have fills regularly dont have much success and do not like the lap band...I had to go every month for the first yr until it got filled to the right spot,, since then about every 6 months

I've noticed the opposite, I had three fills in the first 8 months and then stopped. I've reached a point where I can't over eat but I can still enjoy a modest three course dinner in a good restaurant. I no longer loose weight from the bands restriction of calories...now it's finally from will power and excersize. My last 15 pounds will come off from a healthy lifestyle and the band will be a referee on the sidelines.

Several men that got the band after seeing my success have not been as happy because they keep going back for fills and unfills and want to make the band the sole arbiter of their eating habits without out using an ounce of discipline. They get unfills before holidays and family affairs and then refill after they put on a few pounds. I strongly believe that the less you manipulate the band the better it will be for the long run.

Make that 117.2 pounds in just over 9 months - LOVE MY BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, good for you! How about posting some before and after shots...you must be literally unrecognizeable from your previous self.

Wow, good for you! How about posting some before and after shots...you must be literally unrecognizeable from your previous self.

LOL i would wineguyd but i'm the most illiterate computer person on the planet and am surprised i was able to even post a profile pic - just learned that in the last 6 weeks or so. I am at the point now where if i run into someone i have not seen since surgery they either do a double take or do not recognize me at all (it's so funny when that happens - especially in professional settings where I initiate a hello or handshake or eye contact and the other person is being polite but it's as if they are meeting a stranger) - then when it comes to them who i am it's a 10 minute conversation about how fabulous I look ;) I do love the attention i must admit!!!)

I haven't had a fill in almost a year and a half. There comes a point where you really have to tell yourself that eating healthy and exercise is what is going to keep you there. The band can not work miracles. There is a time where it's all about you and the choices you make. I have maintained my weight for almost 3 years. I'll be 4 years out from my band date this summer. You can sabatoge the band just like any diet. I don't agree with the filling unfilling thing constantly. Get to a point where it's comfortable and stay there and let the band do it's job. But.. you have to make the choices. The band does not do that for you!

HAve I said I LOVE the band?? It is a tool, but it was just the right tool for me! Let's see, I have lost a total of 70 pounds since August, for a total of 99 pounds as of today. I am SOOOOO HAPPY!!!

HAve I said I LOVE the band?? It is a tool' date=' but it was just the right tool for me! Let's see, I have lost a total of 70 pounds since August, for a total of 99 pounds as of today. I am SOOOOO HAPPY!!![/quote']

Owowo I so happy for uu

HAve I said I LOVE the band?? It is a tool, but it was just the right tool for me! Let's see, I have lost a total of 70 pounds since August, for a total of 99 pounds as of today. I am SOOOOO HAPPY!!!

That is so awesome! Congratulations!

I had RNY originally and lost weight fast,but regained fast too. I now have band and the fact that I can adjust it if I start gaining weight back makes me feel better about my choice. I'm sure you'll make the right choice.

I had my band surgery August 2008. I weighed 363 when I started 6 month mandatory diet. I weighed 300 lbs day my band was placed. Today I weigh 155 lbs. It has been a journey, I have learned a lot. I am 100% happy with my band. My sister just had sleeve surgery this past January she lost 30 lbs prior to surgery and since going from liquid/mushy diet to regular diet she has regained some of that. Her journey has just started :)

I had my band surgery August 2008. I weighed 363 when I started 6 month mandatory diet. I weighed 300 lbs day my band was placed. Today I weigh 155 lbs. It has been a journey, I have learned a lot. I am 100% happy with my band. My sister just had sleeve surgery this past January she lost 30 lbs prior to surgery and since going from liquid/mushy diet to regular diet she has regained some of that. Her journey has just started :)

WOW! That's incredible! Congratulations! You have done an amazing job. You should be so proud!