Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I missing something?

Hello everyone, I've been hanging around the forum for awhile now and decided it was about time I asked some questions. I am scheduled for surgery Oct. 21st but I don't think its going to happen that day. I haven't heard from the surgeons office about any pre-op work or anything like that. I haven't even been instructed on a pre-surgery diet of any kind. I am starting to freak out because here I am reading about everyone and everything before surgery and mine isn't adding up. I am prepared to call the surgeons office tomorrow to deal with this just wanted to know if anyone can give me any advice or has experienced the same thing...

so close yet so far.

my pre-op consult is the week before my surgery and i don't have to do a pre-op diet- they just said i can't eat after 9pm the day before surgery. i have a low bmi so that may be why...but i'm planning to try to do as much liquid and as little food as possible a couple of days before the surgery. maybe your surgeon is planning on doing all the pre-op procedures the day of. calling to confirm is probably the best idea. good luck!!

Hello everyone, I've been hanging around the forum for awhile now and decided it was about time I asked some questions. I am scheduled for surgery Oct. 21st but I don't think its going to happen that day. I haven't heard from the surgeons office about any pre-op work or anything like that. I haven't even been instructed on a pre-surgery diet of any kind. I am starting to freak out because here I am reading about everyone and everything before surgery and mine isn't adding up. I am prepared to call the surgeons office tomorrow to deal with this just wanted to know if anyone can give me any advice or has experienced the same thing...

so close yet so far.

call your doctor and be aggressive. If you want to be banded, advocate for your self and get it done. Best of luck

On my first visit with the surgeon i was there for an hour and a half. after i spoke with the surgeon i spoke with the insurance lady and i was given a packet that showed exactly what my insurance required. in the last three months i had to get clearance from a cardiologist; pulmonologist; gastroenterologist; therapist; letter of support and weigh history from primary care doctor and have three sessions with the hospitals nutritionist. have you done any of these? definitely call them. good luck

I was going to write a big, long post about all the stuff I went through, but roeroe pretty

well covered it. If you don't have nearly that much support, maybe you should find

a bariatric Center of Excellence near you and speak with them (look on Google).

Whatever you do, good luck.

call your doctor and be aggressive. If you want to be banded, advocate for your self and get it done. Best of luck

OH Goodness, I just reread everything and realized your Doctor is My Doctor. Dr Adam and his staff are really great, I was lucky I had alot of stuff already in place from when I started the process before.

Did you meet with Jane the Nutritionist or the Psych doctor? Did you have your sleep study? Did you get your insurance stuff in place? I was there today for my 4th fill. Dr. Adam really does make you have a preop diet 2 weeks to 10 days before. I wasn't perfect with mine but I still managed to loose a few pounds to free up the liver to help make the stomach easier to get to.

Did you call today? Call asap if you really want to get it done. Also the people at Norwood Hospital were really great.

Let us know how it goes.

Dawn Marie

OH Goodness, I just reread everything and realized your Doctor is My Doctor. Dr Adam and his staff are really great, I was lucky I had alot of stuff already in place from when I started the process before.

Did you meet with Jane the Nutritionist or the Psych doctor? Did you have your sleep study? Did you get your insurance stuff in place? I was there today for my 4th fill. Dr. Adam really does make you have a preop diet 2 weeks to 10 days before. I wasn't perfect with mine but I still managed to loose a few pounds to free up the liver to help make the stomach easier to get to.

Did you call today? Call asap if you really want to get it done. Also the people at Norwood Hospital were really great.

Let us know how it goes.

Dawn Marie

I just had a really dumb moment, I looked at the bottom of my own profile and saw my Doctors name and thought it was your doctor. Sorry but do let us know how it goes

lol got a little confused on who you were talking to. I did call today, the person I have been dealing with told me that yes I was supposed to be on a diet and briefly told me what to do she said the fact that I will be starting tomorrow doesn't really matter that she will make a note of it. I also asked her about that procedure (medical term slips my mind) where they run a camera thru your mouth to make sure you don't have any ulcers or issues with the mouth of your stomach, she apologized for not "realizing I hadn't had that done yet" and its scheduled for Tuesday Oct. 18th, 3 days before my surgery.

I keep wondering what would of happened if I didn't call? am I still missing something else? These people are not making my anxiety jitters before my big day any better.

I have already received approval from my insurance. Got clearance from my Dr., Psych. and Dietitian for those of you wondering. I have now been told of the pre-op diet and will start tomorrow 9 days before surgery. Anything else that they might have forgotten? Any other suggestions that I can take up with the Dr. on Tuesday?

Thank you everyone for your help, this forum really helps. cool.gif

I was self pay and brought all my current medical records to seminar on Saturday had an appointment right after seminar and he said everything look good, had surgery 1½ days later Monday morning. I have not had any problems during, or after the surgery. He is a very respected Dr. and I miss him as do many of his patients. So if you see a Dr. on regulars basis for bloodwork and general health and are selfpay you can move along without much or any test. good or bad thats how it works. Insurance requires all the tests

Cheri

I didn't have to do any tests prior to surgery which I found odd... My doctor said it was because I'm young and have no pre existing conditions. I had no pre op diet other than don't eat or drink after midnight. I did put my self on a low fat, low carb diet 2 weeks prior and then liquids 2 days before... But just because my doctor required I stay under a 50 BMI and I was a 48 and I didn't want to risk gaining ANY weight.

lol got a little confused on who you were talking to. I did call today, the person I have been dealing with told me that yes I was supposed to be on a diet and briefly told me what to do she said the fact that I will be starting tomorrow doesn't really matter that she will make a note of it. I also asked her about that procedure (medical term slips my mind) where they run a camera thru your mouth to make sure you don't have any ulcers or issues with the mouth of your stomach, she apologized for not "realizing I hadn't had that done yet" and its scheduled for Tuesday Oct. 18th, 3 days before my surgery.

I keep wondering what would of happened if I didn't call? am I still missing something else? These people are not making my anxiety jitters before my big day any better.

I have already received approval from my insurance. Got clearance from my Dr., Psych. and Dietitian for those of you wondering. I have now been told of the pre-op diet and will start tomorrow 9 days before surgery. Anything else that they might have forgotten? Any other suggestions that I can take up with the Dr. on Tuesday?

Thank you everyone for your help, this forum really helps. cool.gif

Yippie you are on your way! keep in touch. The week after surgery is the hardest.

Dawn Marie

post op shopping list is so important. i am not banded yet, but i have read over and over about what you will need for your liquid diet following surgery. hopefully some of the bandsters can give you tips on that. you will not be able to do a big shopping after, so make sure you have plenty of gas x and all the Protein Shakes that you will need for the week to follow. also Vitamins and supplements are needed and plenty of Water if you do not drink tap water, make sure you have plenty of bottled water. good luck in your journey. just keep checking the pre and post surgery forums, so much crutial information. go to the source, the doctors and nurses have not been banded so talking with people who have been can give you first hand information on your journey following surgery. GOOD LUCK

My surgery is scheduled for 10/28 just started my 2 week liver diet(liquid diet) today I was also just called today to set up my per-op testing by the hospital. If I was you I would be calling the surgeons off and asking some questions.

so close yet so far.

I didn't do the pre-op diet, I didn't even know until couple days before and I just did the laxatives I was suppose to do and lost 5pds. I did meet with my surgeon a month prior surgery and that was it. I had the surgery and I'm 6 weeks post op. I don't think you have to worry about anything. My doctor office didn't really put as much effort into giving me info unless I asked. When in doubt, call your surgeon!

Thank you that makes me feel better...that's how my surgeons office feels like...as if they don't tell unless you ask. I'm scheduled for my endoscopy tmrw and surgery Friday.