Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok.....so I know you aren't supposed to drink carbonated beverages at all, but I'm a very bad girl. I would like to know how many of you drink carbonated beverages regularly? And has anyone personally had a problem with band erosion? Like I said.... I know I'm not supposed to, but .....unsure.gif

it all depends on your dr about the carbonated drinks. mine said go ahead in moderation. it's more about the empty calories and sugar than anything else. after i first got banded, i didn't drink pop for almost a year. then i would slowly try some now and then. at first the taste had changed for me and the carbonation was a little bit of a discomfort. now 3 years out, i have a can every morning with no problems.

As soon as I found out I was getting the surgery I quit drinking soda. It was my #1 addiction. Between the taste and the caffein. I thought I was going to die. I had migrain headaches for days. I was sick to my stomach but in the end it was worth it. (not sure how someone kicks illegal drugs) I am a self pay patient and spent 12,000 dollars so I would die if I screwed my band up by drinking soda.

I'm a bad girl too. I went a year without drinking soda - and then I had a taste. I can never finish a soda, so I taste my fiances all the time. I don't think a couple of sips will kill me. I hardly ever drink diet sodas anymore tho - I heard people who drink diet sodas tend to be fatter than people who drink regular sodas. I've now lost 102 lbs with no problems. I never drink more than a few sips tho. I was never much of a soda drink er anyway.

Marci

I have a sip on occasion. My doctor says as long as you can tolerate it, it's no big deal. I can never drink whole can and I wait for it to be kinda flat before I take a sip. I'm not a big soda drinker anyway.

I/ quit drinking soda (Diet Coke) a couple months before surgery. I kept not drinking it for a while after, now I've begun having it a couple times a week again. Though I now dislike the taste of canned/bottled diet coke and the only time I'll drink it is when it is a fountain drink.

As soon as I found out I was getting the surgery I quit drinking soda. It was my #1 addiction. Between the taste and the caffein. I thought I was going to die. I had migrain headaches for days. I was sick to my stomach but in the end it was worth it. (not sure how someone kicks illegal drugs) I am a self pay patient and spent 12,000 dollars so I would die if I screwed my band up by drinking soda.

Me too.I am a self pay patient also and I am playing it safe as well.I don't want to even take a small chance in stretching out my pouch for any reason.Even when I take my fizzy powdered liquid Vitamins I shake them up really well with Water and let them sit until they are "flat".

I CAN'T DRINK CARBONATED drinks AT ALL. FEELS MY TUMMY UP WITH TOO MUCH AIR. ITS ALSO BETTER FOR YOU TO STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

I havent been banded yet. Waiting for my thyroid to stabalize.

I am curious to know how carbonated drinks can erode the band if the band is on the outside of the stomach?

I drink Budwiser 55 when I'm out having fun, and I'm fine with it.....you just can't guzzle, you have to sip. That in itself is a milestone for me, cause I used to guzzle everything (except champagne, that will come out your nose if you guzzle)!

"except champagne, that will come out your nose if you guzzle"

ROTFLMAO!!:lol: what a hoot...

I was so addicting to coke before I had the surgery. So I quit 2 weeks before surgery to prepare myself. I got my band in June 2011 and have had about 3-4 small sips since then. I just need to taste. Then after I get it I'm fine. I could never drink a whole soda to begin with, like ever. You get used to not having it I guess

I've been a big soda drinker since forever, but I've always drank diet. I probably have some soda everyday, but I drink ALOT less than I used to. I never finish a regular can, sometimes I'll finish those little 8oz cans, and a 2 liter can sit in my fridge for a week or longer before it's gone. If I'm at a restaurant I usually can finish my soda since it's much flatter than canned/bottled soda. I don't drink soda during the day, I'll usually have it after dinner, I guess it's more of a treat now than part of my main Fluid intake. The desire to guzzle down a 2liter in a day just isn't there anymore. If it's very carbonated, let's say the first sip out of a 16oz bottle, I have to take tiny baby sips until it flattens out a little, otherwise it'll hurt going down. As far as how my Doc feels about carbonated drinks, they're ok in moderation and he suggests to let them flatten out some before drinking it, and of course he suggests not drinking your calories, so no regualr soda.

I gave up pop the first few months then slowly regained my diet mt dew habit. I saw no probs from it. I was drinking prob 2 to 3 a day & stopped loosing so I gave it up again a month & a half ago. I may occassionally, every 2 wks or so, have 1. I find that lemonade hits the spot like diet mt dew does. Oh & I started loosing wt again after I quit pop :)

What about just plain Club Soda??

No calories but is this an option or no? I love to drink club soda and lime and it's like a faux cocktail when I go out. No calories but it tricks me into thinking I am having a vodka/soda/lime but without the vodka and no calories.

Or are the bubbles way too much?

I am at the VERY VERY VERY beginning stages of this journey and just going thru the beginning process of insurance so this is all new to me. Thanks in advance!