Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Too Many Frustrated Lapbanders!

There is a Lap Band Success Stories section on here somewhere and I would go there all the time.

I'm a frustrated bandster.....BUT.....I know that it is going to take time. I'm getting less frustrated and more accepting of this process/journey. I actually frustrate myself because I DO read the success stories and they are losing 30 pounds in two months and losing 3-4 pounds a week! UGH! I had surgery in April and I'm barely losing a pound a week. THAT is frustrating. I'm NOT at a good restriction and I understand that takes time. I get double talk from my "fill" lady and she says one thing but then I read another. Frustrating.

I get frustrated because I'm on YET another diet and I didn't want to diet, but I'm getting the mind set that I'm a fat person right now and fat people need to diet to lose weight! I have to diet before I can do maintenance and maintain my happy weight. I didn't want to sacrifice and I've set myself back. I'm learning. I'm not perfect but I'm getting better and I've made HUGE changes to my life compared to how I was before surgery. I get full now on a Lean CUisine....that would have never happened before. They talk about life style changes and I've made a lot of them. I'm getting better at eating better and I make such better choices now, but like I said, I'm not perfect. I think a lot of how you lose is how you work it. If you are super disciplined (or really lucky) then you'll lose faster but I'm happy with 1 pound a week....if it is more, awesome but I'm accepting my fate that I'm not perfect but if I can lose 1 pound a week, that is 52 pounds in a year.

I don't regret my decision. I regret that I wasn't prepared mentally for not being able to lose as fast as I wanted. I thought the first few months would be the easiest weightloss but that isn't the case with me. I've read that some people it took months before they really had the band kicked in and working with them. I have to do a lot of my control on my own....it is a lot of will power and the band won't stop you from eating whatever you want. Just be clear about that. Some people have restriction problems with certain foods sticking or not agreeing wtih them. I havent' found that yet....I can literally eat anything, steak, bread, chicken, anything.

Good luck and it's what you do with it...I don't regret getting mine.

I will always tell people to proceed with caution. If you think you can do it without the lapband then go for it! I was sucessfull without it. Then I got preggo and gained weight back.

So ultimately it's your decision.You know yourself more than anyone in the world. For me, since I didnt have food issues the lapband has not been anything that has changed how I lose weight or the rate I lose or anything. It's par the course. The lapband just limits how much I eat and thats about it. A really expensive appetite suppresant! LOL!

If you are an overeater, need motivation to get started on better eating habits etc, or looking for something to suppress your appetite then it may work for you. But dont believe for one second that the only reason someone fails is cause they don't follow the rules or not use the band as a tool. You can do all that and still fail. The band does not work for everyone! Some people have serious emotional issues with food and feel cheated that they cant eat certain things. I've seen this in bandsters too. Then they come to resent having the band. Or like me, a slow slow loser that thought the band would help increase her weight loss. So good luck with whatever you choose.

I would use the band as a last resort. I've tried every diet out there almost and nothing has increased my metabolisim or help me lose weight except a low carb lifestyle. The lapband was my last hurrah!

That's it!! I have lost it and never been able to keep it off. I spent hours at the gym so working at is something I know I could do it. Since I have lost and gained many times, I do not want to be a failure this time. When I read posts of people who are struggling I start to panic.

Great Advice from above ! Its all about your surgeon and what you do, If you do not follow the food rules then you may no be as successfull. After your band you will eat to live, not live to eat. Also ITS NOT A MIRACLE QUICK FIX, its a journey =)

I was banded march 23rd 2011 and wish i had done it when i was 25 not 35 !

I have my ups and downs, good and bad, but so far i have lost weight and kept it off. thats the goal for me ! i have lost weight my whole life, keeping it off is the key.

follow your Dr's orders, and just remember you are human !

people that eat bad, and continue to eat bad will never be successfull with the band, there are a lot of habbit s you have to break, and have to think to your self, Is it hunger or HABBIT? that is key also

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU !!!!

WOW!!! This statement will help me tremendously. I have to break up with food :( I know this and it will be hard. I will remember this statement when I am going through it to remind me that its normal to feel this way.

My journey had been great. I am down 100lbs today! 7 months after being banded. It hasn't been easy but it was the best thing I ever did and would do it over a million times. The first month was tough for me. Very emotional. I was not prepared for the loss I felt, I mourned the loss of my best friend (food). I took it one day at a time and pushed through. I started working out with a trainer twice a week and on my own walking at least 3 other days about 8 weeks after surgery. That has really been the best thing I have ever done. I can officially say now I love it and feel the effects when I miss a day at the gym! :lol: Who would've thought? 7 months ago I couldn't comfortably walk up the stairs and now I can easily walk 5 miles.

This is all my own personal opinions and I don't claim to know how others are feeling but my belief is if you keep eating right, following what your doctor says and exercising it will start to come off - even if it is slow. Sometimes you can go a week or two with no loss but just keep at it and it will all catch up. I always say this is a journey to save my life and it will come off as slow as it needs to - as frustrating as that is. :rolleyes: Just keep at it. My new mantra is - Do you choose to simply know the path, or do you choose to walk it? (Hey whatever works!! ;) )

I wish you nothing but the best of luck with your journey! It is the best thing I ever did for myself!! Best wishes! :D

Honestly that is great. I don't mind losing a pound a week. I just don't want to gain. That is my biggest fear.

There is a Lap Band Success Stories section on here somewhere and I would go there all the time.

I'm a frustrated bandster.....BUT.....I know that it is going to take time. I'm getting less frustrated and more accepting of this process/journey. I actually frustrate myself because I DO read the success stories and they are losing 30 pounds in two months and losing 3-4 pounds a week! UGH! I had surgery in April and I'm barely losing a pound a week. THAT is frustrating. I'm NOT at a good restriction and I understand that takes time. I get double talk from my "fill" lady and she says one thing but then I read another. Frustrating.

I get frustrated because I'm on YET another diet and I didn't want to diet, but I'm getting the mind set that I'm a fat person right now and fat people need to diet to lose weight! I have to diet before I can do maintenance and maintain my happy weight. I didn't want to sacrifice and I've set myself back. I'm learning. I'm not perfect but I'm getting better and I've made HUGE changes to my life compared to how I was before surgery. I get full now on a Lean CUisine....that would have never happened before. They talk about life style changes and I've made a lot of them. I'm getting better at eating better and I make such better choices now, but like I said, I'm not perfect. I think a lot of how you lose is how you work it. If you are super disciplined (or really lucky) then you'll lose faster but I'm happy with 1 pound a week....if it is more, awesome but I'm accepting my fate that I'm not perfect but if I can lose 1 pound a week, that is 52 pounds in a year.

I don't regret my decision. I regret that I wasn't prepared mentally for not being able to lose as fast as I wanted. I thought the first few months would be the easiest weightloss but that isn't the case with me. I've read that some people it took months before they really had the band kicked in and working with them. I have to do a lot of my control on my own....it is a lot of will power and the band won't stop you from eating whatever you want. Just be clear about that. Some people have restriction problems with certain foods sticking or not agreeing wtih them. I havent' found that yet....I can literally eat anything, steak, bread, chicken, anything.

Good luck and it's what you do with it...I don't regret getting mine.

Oh yeah no one wants to gain but let me tell you. I had one cheat day on sunday and now have gained 5 lbs! So if gaining is gonna throw u off the lapband wagon then don't do it. Don't let the band make you miserable like me!! Then you go for a follow up and they chastise you for not losing enough!!!

I know there will be ups and downs but I don't want to regain all my weight as though I never had the surgery. Also I am looking for positive reinforcement instead of being chastised. That must be so frustrating and upsetting. Hopefully I will get a positive vibe from the surgeon and his staff.

g

Honestly that is great. I don't mind losing a pound a week. I just don't want to gain. That is my biggest fear.

The overwhelming # of those who complain about the band not working are those who have been with the band for a month or less. Then the # starts to drop off from there.

Many times I have read posts from people upset

because they have not lost what they expected, 2 weeks if not 2 days after surgery.

It took me 3 months to get to a point that I feel comfortable.

These negative posts come so often, I feel many people get frustrated just trying to respond to them. I know I do.

Years ago, I once had a Dr. give me his big secret formula for loosing weight: "You want to loose a lot of weight? Then stop eating so much!"

Well, in a nutshell, that is what the band has done for me. I eat a 1/4 of what I used to. Period.

I wish that eating 800 calories a day and feeling weak and tired was the simple formula it's not. I asked time and time again what about starvation mode??? I was told by several people even on here that some believed it was a myth. My own surgeon said starvation mode doesn't effect lapband patients! Well here I am burning 300-400 calories a day working out and another 2400 just by breathing and living. Then eating 800 calories a day!! U do the math.

Now we are being told to eat more??? Confused? Umm hello??? Yeah!!!

I am not expert but maybe you should add some Protein shakes to your daily diet and continue to workout maybe even add weights. You may not be getting enough in order to sustain your working out and muscle recovery etc., If you build more muscle your will burn more fat.

I wish that eating 800 calories a day and feeling weak and tired was the simple formula it's not. I asked time and time again what about starvation mode??? I was told by several people even on here that some believed it was a myth. My own surgeon said starvation mode doesn't effect lapband patients! Well here I am burning 300-400 calories a day working out and another 2400 just by breathing and living. Then eating 800 calories a day!! U do the math.

Now we are being told to eat more??? Confused? Umm hello??? Yeah!!!

Thanks! I just got a fill so I'm all about shakes and trying to do 3-4 a day plus one good meal.