Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Lost and Confused...

Hi, i had my lap band surgery on Aug 30, 2011. I think i have been doing ok for the most part, I didn't have any problems and adjusted back to eating solid foods fine. The first week after my surgery i felt restriction but after that first week i haven't felt any restriction. I had my first fill on Oct 4th of 5ccs. I felt restriction the first two days and after that i haven't felt restriction. I feel like i could eat how i use to. Is that normal? I don't see my doctor till next month and don't know what to do? I am really struggling with my diet and knowing what and how much to eat? I don't feel very supported by my doctor or his office. I feel completely lost and confused. Does anyone have any suggestions? :unsure:

So sorry to hear this. I was banded one day after you. I am going for my second fill this Wed. I only have 2 cc in mine right now and am hoping he will put at least 2 more in. I feel like I eat less than I did before the band but still more than I should. I feel bad that your Dr.'s office isn't being supportive. I would die because I just love everyone in my Dr.'s office including the Dr. I guess I would say that you are the one who went through this surgery and you know your body and if you feel you need another fill then call before your next appt. My Dr. said that if I felt like I needed a fill before my next appt. to just call. I hope everything goes well for you and don't let them give you any crap!

Hi, i had my lap band surgery on Aug 30, 2011. I think i have been doing ok for the most part, I didn't have any problems and adjusted back to eating solid foods fine. The first week after my surgery i felt restriction but after that first week i haven't felt any restriction. I had my first fill on Oct 4th of 5ccs. I felt restriction the first two days and after that i haven't felt restriction. I feel like i could eat how i use to. Is that normal? I don't see my doctor till next month and don't know what to do? I am really struggling with my diet and knowing what and how much to eat? I don't feel very supported by my doctor or his office. I feel completely lost and confused. Does anyone have any suggestions? :unsure:

I'm sorry you are feeling frustration. I have a few questions for you and then I may be able to give you some answers. 1. How big is your band? 2. Are you taking a full 20 minutes to eat every meal or snack? 3. Do you food journal? 4. Do you follow the "don't drink anything 30 minutes before or after eating"? 5. Do you intake at least 64 oz. of Water per day?

Thank you for responding, this whole experience has been very different then i thought it would be. I thought there would be a lot more support and more structure but it seems once you hit solid food that's it. My Dr. is a good doctor it's just that i don't feel that supported from him and the rest of his office or staff just forget it. When i go into his office for an appointment there is such a disconnect and weird silence. It's very strange but i will take your advice and give them a call and let them know that i don't feel a difference. Thank you again!

So sorry to hear this. I was banded one day after you. I am going for my second fill this Wed. I only have 2 cc in mine right now and am hoping he will put at least 2 more in. I feel like I eat less than I did before the band but still more than I should. I feel bad that your Dr.'s office isn't being supportive. I would die because I just love everyone in my Dr.'s office including the Dr. I guess I would say that you are the one who went through this surgery and you know your body and if you feel you need another fill then call before your next appt. My Dr. said that if I felt like I needed a fill before my next appt. to just call. I hope everything goes well for you and don't let them give you any crap!

Thank you so much for responding. To answer your questions: 1. I don't know how big my band is, i just know that i have the realize band. 2. I'm not sure if i am taking a full 20 mins but i am chewing my food thoroughly. 3. no i was never told anything about food journaling. 4. i do follow the rule of not drinking 30 mins before or after eating. 5. I do take in 64 oz of Water daily

I'm sorry you are feeling frustration. I have a few questions for you and then I may be able to give you some answers. 1. How big is your band? 2. Are you taking a full 20 minutes to eat every meal or snack? 3. Do you food journal? 4. Do you follow the "don't drink anything 30 minutes before or after eating"? 5. Do you intake at least 64 oz. of water per day?

For me, that is what happened. I was banded October 25, 2010. I was able to eat normally for the first few fills. I didn't get any real restriction till the 4th fill. You will get restriction, and then it will loosen up again as you lose weight. I promise, I was feeling the same way you were. You will go through losing and then not for a couple weeks. Don't get discouraged. The time will come when you are a year out and you will be celebrating I started at 216 and now I am at 164. Just relax and enjoy the ride. It'll happen. I promise!

Thank you for the words of encouragement, i'm glad to know i am not the only one that has experienced this. I will try to relax but it's frustrating.

For me, that is what happened. I was banded October 25, 2010. I was able to eat normally for the first few fills. I didn't get any real restriction till the 4th fill. You will get restriction, and then it will loosen up again as you lose weight. I promise, I was feeling the same way you were. You will go through losing and then not for a couple weeks. Don't get discouraged. The time will come when you are a year out and you will be celebrating I started at 216 and now I am at 164. Just relax and enjoy the ride. It'll happen. I promise!

Kimmel it sounds like your surgeon is a general surgeon like mine was ... as opposed to surgeon that specializes in WLS. The WLS surgeons usually base their practice on the care and support of their patients.

On my first visit my surgeon gave me a booklet that was still enclosed in plastic. I had information about the lapband and I think it had a dvd inside as well (I never read it). He told me about how long the surgery would take and then said his assistant would call me with my surgery date. That was it! He is a very nice man and apparently a decent surgeon (I haven't had a single problem -- at least not related to the surgery ... I tend to get dehydrated too often, my fault). As for the staff in my docs office ... hmmmm ... well, he moved offices about 3 months after my surgery. The people at his first office were inept and I believe a little "crooked", but that's another story. At his new office the people are nice and I am sure that they know what they are doing, but they are not actually his staff. They work for the plastic surgeon that has apparently leased office space to my doc. They make appointments and such, but they were not familiar with lapband. They may have more knowledge now -- I was banded 2+ years ago.

It is nice to have support, but you may have to find yours in other places. That's what I did. Find a lapband support group in your city. Read, read, read. I cannot say this enough "educated yourself" about the band. This forum is very good for support and information -- but look elsewhere as well. I haven't seen my surgeon in well over a year. When I got to my sweet spot I didn't see any point. I do a lot of reading about nutrition so that I continue to eat healthier. I also power walk 3 miles every morning before work (not lately since I have been working 15 hour workdays ... but that ended yesterday -- can't wait to get back on track). I see a physical therapist once a week because I had back surgery in 2004 and in order to kick my exercise up a notch or two, I have to strengthen my muscles so that I do not injure my back.

I live in L.A. and I receive evites for a support group from a great doc that I went to initially --- but he wasn't on my insurance so... :( Find support online and support groups in your city if you can. Sometimes we have to do a "work around" to get what we need. It is time for you to recognize that you have taken a really big step in getting banded ... you can now do whatever it takes to succeed in your journey. Just keep moving, one step at a time. Trust yourself. This is your life, your health, your future. YOU must do what it takes to help yourself, trust me ... no one else will ... and no one else should. Your docs office is not the only place to get support. You can't change anyone but yourself, so just change the way you look at your docs office. Remember that your doc works for YOU, not the other way around. Ask for a fill sooner as suggested by another poster. Then get to work finding places to get support and researching how to better work your band. YOU CAN DO THIS!

We are here to support you! Your life is not about to change ... YOU are about to CHANGE YOUR LIFE! YAY Kimmel!

~Fran

Dont feel like the only one. I have had the same problem since April. Somewhere on here It asked for my story I gave it but Now I cant find it. This is not the easiest web site to navigate. Any way.......I had surgery on April 18 2011. I have had 3 fills since then NOTHING!!!!!!!!! NO restrection no weight loss just nothing. I go back every month and they ask me a bunch of stupid questions that If I had the right answers to I WOULDN'T be there to begin with. I was hoping that I would find some help on here as to what to do with the situation. I used Insurance to pay for it so I cant go to another doctor for fills or such. I am stuck! Please if you find any answers as to what to do about this please let me know!

Thanks.........Good Luck