Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting ready

So, I am just getting ready to go have my surgery. I have already had a gastric bypass 20 years ago that has now failed and the lapband seems to be the only option for me for reconstruction - unless I go through the whole bypass thing again, which I don't want to do. I have scheduled, made my deposit, and purchased my airfare to go down to Mexico for the surgery at the end of October (just a little more than two weeks away) and I can't wait!

I have questions though, about filling. I live in a very small town with the nearest larger City about 2 hours away and it is not certain that they have any doctors that do fills. I know I can go the other direction about 4 hours away and can get a fill, but that is a long way to travel for it. Once I have the fills, am I okay to drive 4 hours home? How much do fills cost? and how often do I need to get one?

As I am not working with a local doctor I have a lot of questions about diet as well. I keep hearing rumors about eating a lot of Protein, but when I have been researching Proteins and how much different foods have, considering the portion size and eating only three tiny meals daily with no snacking in between, how does one actually ingest enough protein to be safe?

Back when I had the bypass there really wasn't much emphasis on what you were supposed to eat - just what you were not supposed to eat, which has stayed pretty-much the same from what I have read so far. So even though I know the rules of "what not to do" I don't really know the rules of what I should be doing. I'd like to know those things before having surgery so I can have it all planned out for when I get back.

I notice that some on this site talk about gaining some post-op weight and wonder what things can cause that or is it just eating in between meals? When I do a web search for protein supplements they always direct me to muscle-enhancing products, which I would guess would put weight on rather than allow for weight loss. So, if anyone has any answers, I'd really appreciate some feedback about all of this. Thanks.

By the way, how do you get those cool weight rulers that I see below so many people's postings? I'll be wanting one of those for myself once I have had my surgery.

You may want to call around to doctors near you because I know a lot of doctors won't do fills for people banded in Mexico. Before you get banded you might want to check if there is a doctor that could see you for aftercare. As far as the Protein goes my doctor wants me to shoot for 70 grams of protein a day whether I get it through food (ideally) or need to supplement with a Protein Shake. I have to eat Proteins first, veggies second, and carbs last. Good luck!

You can get the cool weight rulers or weight loss ticker at tickerfactory .com just follow the directions. Paste it in your Lapband talk signature area on your profile. As for Protein - My dr. want you to have a Protein Shake for Breakfast and lunch and as simple dinner with meat (chicken, beef or fish) which is where you get your protein and 2 vegs. Just make sure you do all your homework before going to Mexico. Call local Dr.'s about aftercare and I would already have one set up before I have my surgery. That way you can follow what that Dr. expects from you and to know how much protein intake they want you to have and answer your question. I made copies of alot of post op menus for lapband from just going to different lapband sights. Every Dr. is alittle different. The more research you do the better prepared you are. Good luck with your journey!

I wish you all the best on the journey you are about to begin, but I do have some concerns after reading your post. Ideally you would want to have your surgery done by a surgeon who has a nutrtionist on staff and who does his/her own fills. In this ideal situation the nutrionist would have already met with you to begin a pre op diet to get you ready for surgery and gone over all your post op nutritional needs and what to eat to achieve this. I'm. oncerned about your situation because I believe the most successful bandsters are those who have easy access to their surgeon and nutritionist and who make all 11 of their post op appointments in the first year. I am also a self pay. My 14,000 fee includes the first year of post op appointments and fills. Have you looked into a surgeon who is in the town 2 hours away that you mentioned? With that being said....protein is easy to get in. I have a Protein Shake in the morning, tuna for lunch, and fish or chicken for dinner. That covers my Protein needs while being low calorie. I eat between 700 - 800 calories a day. The reason people gain post op is when they start mushies after havi g been on total liquids for 2 - 4 weeks. Again, best of luck on your journey. We are all rooting foe you!!