Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Total failure - no weight loss

I have failed totally with my lab band which I got in April 2011. I know it's my fault because I still eat pizza and a small amount of sweets. But the diet is so restrictive, I couldn't stay on a diet to begin with, and that's why I got the band. I don't exercise because I feel so bad all the time. I just want to get home from work and sleep. I push so hard to keep going, but I don't know how long I can keep that up. Trying to eat the way they want is causing so much stress. I try every day, and every day I fail.

Well you just wrote exactly why your not doing so well. You can do it!! Pick 4-5 foods you do like and go from there. Pick a few protiens, a few veggies and try again. The great thing about the band is that it will be there to help you for the rest of your life. Maybe just go for walks to start and as you start to lose you can find a sport or something you enjoy to play.

Please don't give up - you worked hard to get the band in the first place!!

Follow the plan. Proteins first, the veggies, then starches as need. What did your surgeon advise you to except post surgery?

Carol, you have to take this into your own hands. If you really want to lose the weight then you have to do your part. Most all of us here love food and love to eat all the things that caused us to be the size we have become. We all have to make the choice each day. It is a conscious choice every time you choose to eat whatever and do not use the tool you have been blessed with. We each have to decide what is more important, using the band or satisfying that thing in our head that says "Eat the pizza, the whopper, the huge slice of cake and bowl of ice cream." In just the month and few days that I have not had any of those things and have started eating more healthy and in proper portions I can honestly say that my desire for the other things seems to have dissappated to almost nothing. I bought my grandson who is spending the night some chocolate cupcakes and could care less that they are over on the table. I love this feeling. Perhaps you need to go see you doctor and talk to them about this possibly getting some fill to help you curb your appetite. And are you suffering possibly from chronic depression? I really think you need to see your doctor. This is not always an easy journey but one that is worth every stuggle to see it through.

Carol,

You can still eat all them foods but you have to watch how much you eat of it and how often you eat of it .

I love pizza its my favorite food, but instead of eating it two or three times a week now I eat it once or twice a month .

My doc has always told me its not about giving up your favorite foods its about learning how to eat t hem foods in proper Portion Control and how often to eat them foods

pizza, sweets , french fries helped us getting us over weight but it wasn't what made us overweight. What made us overweight was sitting down and eating half of a pizza and sub , what got us overweight was eating a Big Mac , large fries and something else. what got us overweight instead of eating one small slice of cake we sat down and ate a pound of it That is what got us overweight.

I still enjoy McDonald's, I still enjoy pizza, and I still enjoy my candy during the TOM , BUT now instead of eating a half of a pizza and large sub I eat two slices of pizza and I am happy with that .

If I have to give up my foods I Love to for the rest of my life I would fail at this also. I was like you , I can eat healthy for so long then boom I would snap and that would be the end of it .

As far as exercise that is something you just have to do unless physically you cant and even then you can still exercise . The lap band is the slowest WLS out there and I bet about 98% of people with the band have to exercise or you just wont lose weight .

You will lose weight first starting out with no exercise but after while your body is going to get use to it and you will just stall . Exercise is just something you have to do and it tones your body up .

I took a shower a while ago and weighed myself and was happy that I'd lost four pounds this week,

then I read your post and thought "what a bummer". I could come up with a bunch of things I'd do

to lose weight, but that wouldn't help you. I'm certainly no mental health expert, but I wonder if

you don't need to talk to a therapist more than a WLS forum. We all want to help you, but I don't

think we have what you need. If your post is really how you feel, I hope you get some professional

help and I wish you all the luck in the world and please let us know how you

make out.

POST SCRIPT:

Carol, If you're still there, Look up "5-day pouch diet" in Google. This

will take some commitment on your part, and I hope you're up to it.

It requires many of the things you say you're not willing to do, but if

you took time to write your post, you must want help, and this is the

only thing I've found that might do that. Again, good luck.

You are doing everything to sabotage your weightloss. I have never liked to exercise but now since the band I make it up in my mind to do it 4-5 times a week. I love pizza and all that other stuff that keep us fat,BUT I had to change my mindset and eat healthy and splurge every once in a while. You have to get your mind right or you will never be successful with the lapband. You have to try to do better. Have you ever had a fill? Do you feel restriction. Try really hard to get some help , refocus and start the weightloss journey. You can do it but you have to change your attitude and try harder. Wishing you much success. Take baby steps and make it happen.

I have failed totally with my lab band which I got in April 2011. I know it's my fault because I still eat pizza and a small amount of sweets. But the diet is so restrictive, I couldn't stay on a diet to begin with, and that's why I got the band. I don't exercise because I feel so bad all the time. I just want to get home from work and sleep. I push so hard to keep going, but I don't know how long I can keep that up. Trying to eat the way they want is causing so much stress. I try every day, and every day I fail.

Have you gone back in for fills? I know I don't stick to any strict diet and when I'm at my sweet spot I really can't even eat pizza easily. I think the band has worked for me because I found my sweet spot early in the process. At least it's something to consider ...............

I may be echoing an earlier comment, but your answer might be as simple as finding a local WLS support group that you can attend regularly until you get the encouragement and help that you need to get back on track. I always find post-surgical support groups helpful to get my mind back on track with the band.

Hi,

I also got my band in April. What I want to say is you can eat pizza, just not a lot of it. I believe my greatest success with this band is not eating sugar. I was told by my nutritionist to eat only 2 grams per entree. So, if you have 3 small amounts of foods for a meal you can only have 2 grams per amount. I have lost weight successfully doing this. For me sugar seem to be the problem. I eat most anything I want, but in small amounts. I buy sugar free candy (I am a chocoholic) and have 2 pieces a day. Now, you have to watch sugar free items because they contain more fat, but if you limit it to 2 pieces a day it works out. That is what gets me through, knowing I can still have foods I love, just in very small amounts. After 2 weeks of no sugar, I have lost my cravings for them. It does work, so I hope you take this into consideration. I also agree with the others, you may need a group or some other type of help to get you started. Once you see the weight coming off, you will be inspired to continue. See your doctor and get the answers you need to be successful. Talk to your nutritionist also, they are a great help. The 5 day pouch test is a great way to get started again. But, remember, you have to commit to this and not feel cheated by it. Eat some of your favorite foods, just in small amounts and not everyday. Try the sugar free products out there, that may help a lot. Good luck and I pray you can start to use your band as the tool it is meant to be!!!!!!

I love pizza too. U know u can take the foods you love and make them better for you!! For pizza, I take a low carb tortilla put Pasta Sauce and mozzarella on it and the pepperoni. You can either pop in the oven or put in a frying pan with butter to get it nice and crispy! Lower calories and carbs and it taste like a thin crust pizza!! I can help with the food. I've perfected the art of turning almost anything into a healthy alternative. Just drop me a message.

I took a shower a while ago and weighed myself and was happy that I'd lost four pounds this week,

then I read your post and thought "what a bummer". I could come up with a bunch of things I'd do

to lose weight, but that wouldn't help you. I'm certainly no mental health expert, but I wonder if

you don't need to talk to a therapist more than a WLS forum. We all want to help you, but I don't

think we have what you need. If your post is really how you feel, I hope you get some professional

help and I wish you all the luck in the world and please let us know how you

make out.

POST SCRIPT:

Carol, If you're still there, Look up "5-day pouch diet" in Google. This

will take some commitment on your part, and I hope you're up to it.

It requires many of the things you say you're not willing to do, but if

you took time to write your post, you must want help, and this is the

only thing I've found that might do that. Again, good luck.

I'd like to second what Corrigan said. Carol, it sounds like you want desperately to be healthy, but your head keeps getting in your own way. What you need is to work with someone that can help you learn to work with your brain - you and your head need to get on the same page, so you can take control of your body. Think of it is the second and most important step to getting a lapband. Step 1 - band the body, so that you have this amazing tool to help you become healthier. Step 2 - band the brain, so that you can work with this amazing tool properly. You were committed enough to do the surgery. Now follow through and get the help you need to "band your brain", so you can make the lapband work for you.

I wish you all the best on your journey... !!

Hi there Carol,

I have been where you are right now, we all have bumps in the road, but you have to know when to get up and do something about it. Everyone has given you some great advice so far, so please try whatever it takes to get yourself back on track.

I see my Dietician once per month just to talk about what I am eating and she will give me healthier alternatives instead to try. Also I am an emotional eater, Could that be you??? Find out what is at the root of your issue and that should help steer you in the right direction.

I love pizza, Ice cream, etc.... I eat all of those things in Moderation. Instead of getting the pint of Haagen dazs, I get the little sample 3 oz cups. I may have one per week. pizza, we may get that once or twice a month and I may just have 2 slices. It is not too late for you, I got my lapband in April too, and I went thru a rough patch as well. So pick yourself up and try again. I had to start over and teach myself to eat better again. YOU CAN DO IT!

FeFe

weight.png

Sounds like you might try a few months of counseling and maybe some meds to help you right now. I only say that as I have been through 3 years of counseling and need my meds to keep me from being locked away in my bed or house for days at a time. Most of the time there is a reason behind our eating patterns. Not everybody . . . some people just enjoy eating. I knew a girl who was raped while she was overseas serving our county and she put on weight to make herself less appealing (her words not mine). She is now banded and looking great but she needed some special help.

Maybe you need some help in this area to help you with the weightloss. Nothing to be ashamed of, trust me we could all benefit from some counseling. You seem too down on yourself and being so tired you want to hide in the bed. That is me. But I have been learning to deal with it and so can you. I could be totally wrong but you remind me of me before the band and before the counseling. You might check it out could be just what you need. You have to believe in yourself and sometimes we just can't so we need some help.

Okay before anyone thinks I am being mean, just remember I said this is me . . . may not be her . . .but could be. Just adding my opinion.

Cheri

I am a lazy person also. When I get home from work I am beat mentally and force myself to cook, do dishes and whatever needs to be done before I sit down for the evening. I am not an exercise person, never have been. But....I walk twice a day on break down to the local store for a black coffee ( no calories), that is my treat! I have stayed pretty much the same but do go up and down 5-6 pds depending on if I have cheated with slider Snacks on the weekend. I hold Water very easily from anything that has sodium in it and it takes a couple of days to get it out of my system.

You can do this if I can. I am 58 years old and wanted to extend my life by getting banded. I am off all meds and feel like 28. Don't give up, take it one little step at a time. I gave up bread and sugar and the pounds started to fall off, then it made me really want to follow the bandster rules and eat mostly Protein. I still have a hard time with fruits and vegetables (they have to be cooked to mush). If I can do it, you can do it. I have lost and gained over 1,000 pounds in my lifetime and have been stable for the last 3 years with the band. This is not a diet, this is a life change and that is the mind set you need to get into. I do not tell myself that I can never have something, because then I would want it even more. You need to do what you can live with and what works for you. Good luck!