Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fallen off then wagon; Please help!!

Had my sugery in Aug. 2008 @ 353 and at my lowest weight I was 225!!! But then I got a piece of food stuck and had to have all of the Fluid taken out. I've felt like I've lost control since then and can't get back on track. I've put off going back to the doctor because they've changed how they code the adjustments and it will cost at least $300 to have an adjustment. Finances are really tight right now. The other factor, and probably the most severe one for me, is that I'm embarrassed. I've been embarrassed to talk to my doctor about my recent weight gain of at least 50 lbs!!!! And I'm lost. I've tried dieting to get it off without success. That's how I've gained so much...binging. So I googled 'getting back on track with Lap-Band' and found this site. I'm just now deciding to get on track and I'm feeling overwhelmed and defeated. I am just now starting nursing school and time is limited which leads to emotional eating, poor food choices, and excuses to eat bad and not exercise.These are just a few. I'm hoping I can get back on this wagon. It's not my doctor's fault but I just am so nervous to admit/face him...I don't know how to do it...and even worse, facing the nurse; getting on that scale...her writing it down and telling me I've gain 58 lbs...then the questions 'have you been drinking with your meals? Eating between meals?'...

Please, any advice is helpful!!!!

Jess

Hey Jess, sounds like you need some tough love, so here it is!

You can have excuses or you can have results but you can't have both. At the moment, you have excuses, plenty of them. Lack of time, poor food choices, excuses not to eat right, excuses not to exercise. That's why you've gained and are finding it impossible to lose.

But I suspect you already know all that and you're ready for results. So, here's what you do. Suck it up! You made the decision to get the band. Yes, you had a stumble. Now it's time to get working with your band again. Don't be embarrassed by what a dr or nurse may say or what you think they may think about your gain. They have seen it all before. I'll bet the ones they think worst of are those that don't come back and ask for their help. That's what they are there for, to help you.

Can't afford it? Another excuse. Sell some stuff on ebay. Save up the money. Talk to your dr's office about paying it off. You want this badly enough then you will find a way.

Now the support. You have definitely come to the right place on these forums. We are all here because we have battled the obesity demons. We understand your feelings and this band community will be here to support you as you get kick started again and work your way through this tough time.

Hang in there. You can do it!

Good luck.

I agree with SageTracey: They have seen it before, you are not the first one to put weight back on. You need to see your doctor and get a fill. I know it is 300.00 but really, if it helps it is so worth it. Don't be ashamed, it's life, it happens, do what ever you need to do to help fix the problem.

Best of Luck to you!

Think of the $300 this way... That is take out every day for a month, If you get the fill you will not buy the take out or other extra food and it will all work out in the end. YOur doctor will not be upset with you if you show up, confront the issues, and take ahold of the situation. He will commend you for jumping back on that horse!!

Get that fill and work that band girly!!!! You know how to get er done!!!! you have done it before right!!!

Well I will start by saying I am NOT banded. I feel the same though about the gym. Last year I lost 40lbs by working out and this year I am up 50 lbs. I know I need to get to the gym but I am embarrassed to see the instructors reaction as they see me bigger. BUT I know I must get back on the saddle. I am sure the gym instructors and your doctor have seen it all. I know if I make it to the gym, I am working out. For me its a matter of just making it there. I am hoping to get there in the next couple of weeks. The reason why I am getting the band because I can lose it but can't keep it off. I am afraid of failure but I know that when I lose it I intend on using the band as a tool. Which is what you need to do right now. You already have it. Its a matter of getting it filled. Call your insurance and inquire about the fills. If they paid for your surgery they usually cover the fills. All the hard work for you to get the band you can figure out a way to get it filled. I understand $300 is alot but just start saving. In no time you will have the $300. Worse case scenario wait until tax return and just try to eat right in the meantime. We all know what we have to do, now we just have to do it!!! Good Luck!

Think of the $300 this way... That is take out every day for a month, If you get the fill you will not buy the take out or other extra food and it will all work out in the end. YOur doctor will not be upset with you if you show up, confront the issues, and take ahold of the situation. He will commend you for jumping back on that horse!!

Get that fill and work that band girly!!!! You know how to get er done!!!! you have done it before right!!!

That was an awesome reply! I think I am going to like this site alot!

Had my sugery in Aug. 2008 @ 353 and at my lowest weight I was 225!!! But then I got a piece of food stuck and had to have all of the Fluid taken out. I've felt like I've lost control since then and can't get back on track. I've put off going back to the doctor because they've changed how they code the adjustments and it will cost at least $300 to have an adjustment. Finances are really tight right now. The other factor, and probably the most severe one for me, is that I'm embarrassed. I've been embarrassed to talk to my doctor about my recent weight gain of at least 50 lbs!!!! And I'm lost. I've tried dieting to get it off without success. That's how I've gained so much...binging. So I googled 'getting back on track with Lap-Band' and found this site. I'm just now deciding to get on track and I'm feeling overwhelmed and defeated. I am just now starting nursing school and time is limited which leads to emotional eating, poor food choices, and excuses to eat bad and not exercise.These are just a few. I'm hoping I can get back on this wagon. It's not my doctor's fault but I just am so nervous to admit/face him...I don't know how to do it...and even worse, facing the nurse; getting on that scale...her writing it down and telling me I've gain 58 lbs...then the questions 'have you been drinking with your meals? Eating between meals?'...

Please, any advice is helpful!!!!

Jess

Hey Jess...I havent gotten a fill yet..I was banded in Aug (7 weeks ago) I have lost 20 lbs so far and it hasnt been easy...Dont be so hard on yourself... Dust yourself off..get back on the wagon!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

That was an awesome reply! I think I am going to like this site alot!

Awwwe, thank you!!! <3

Thanks everyone!!! Wow that was a fast response!!! So right after I typed all of that at I got busy at researching my insurance coverage on behavior health to try to help with my emotional eating...I keep hearing that we need to fix why we're eating. Weeeell, get this...they don't cover therapy. Rude! So then...I took a deep breath (I have HUGE anxiety issues) and dialed my doctor's office. His nurse actually answers. I just blurt it out "I'm a patient, I've had my band since 08, fallen off the wagon, gained 60 lbs, I'm very embarrassed and overwhelmed. Can you offer me guidance?" With tears welling up in my eyes, if hear her reply..."Jessica, thanks for calling. We probably need to get you a fill and we just adopted a support service. Call Betty and let her know what's going on then call me back to schedule" so I call her. She's a-ma-zing! I'm crying again after I blurt it out...She tells me to take a deep breath and that we need to get back on track and that I've taken the hardest step. Informed me of the newly formed support group that meets on the 25. Told me to start a food log, shoot for 60g Protein, 64 oz Water and get a fill. Bought my journal and appointment set for the 20th!! THEN I get on her and see all of you responses! omg..amazing day.

Jess

Yay!! See calling wasn't so bad!! Everything will be alright.

:D

Thanks everyone!!! Wow that was a fast response!!! So right after I typed all of that at I got busy at researching my insurance coverage on behavior health to try to help with my emotional eating...I keep hearing that we need to fix why we're eating. Weeeell, get this...they don't cover therapy. Rude! So then...I took a deep breath (I have HUGE anxiety issues) and dialed my doctor's office. His nurse actually answers. I just blurt it out "I'm a patient, I've had my band since 08, fallen off the wagon, gained 60 lbs, I'm very embarrassed and overwhelmed. Can you offer me guidance?" With tears welling up in my eyes, if hear her reply..."Jessica, thanks for calling. We probably need to get you a fill and we just adopted a support service. Call Betty and let her know what's going on then call me back to schedule" so I call her. She's a-ma-zing! I'm crying again after I blurt it out...She tells me to take a deep breath and that we need to get back on track and that I've taken the hardest step. Informed me of the newly formed support group that meets on the 25. Told me to start a food log, shoot for 60g Protein, 64 oz Water and get a fill. Bought my journal and appointment set for the 20th!! THEN I get on her and see all of you responses! omg..amazing day.

Jess

FANTASTIC!!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

I love it when people support each other by being honest. we have all lied to ourselves, sometimes for years! I want tough love. I want my health back, I deserve it and so do you!! Thanks for sharing so honestly.. keep coming back.