Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New guy here from Plano, TX

Hi all! New guy from Plano, TX here! I am 4 days post-op. I feel like someone stabbed me, but I am not regretting this for a second! Glad to be on here and am hoping some of you have some good advice for me. At almost 400 lbs at 31 yrs old, I knew I had to do something about my weight but didn't know what to do!

I had zero energy, was too depressed to even shower most mornings, and didn't have insurance to pay for any surgery. And most insurance companies wouldn't insure me because I am so overweight!!

Well, my parents sat me down... told me that they wanted to do anything they could to help me, because they loved me and wanted to see me happy and healthy. My dad offered me a huge chunk of his savings (they're teachers and far from rich) about $5000. Said that I should take it and have surgery that would change my health for the better. They said it would make them happier than any money ever could. So I was about 4k short of being able to pay for it myself.

THE NEXT DAY, I sat down to lunch with my boss and asked him what he thought about the lap band procedure... his response? "Oh wow!! I was JUST about to talk to you about that! I wanted to know if you were interested in the procedure, and I wanted to know I would be willing to sponsor your surgery in the amount of $4000!"

You have to be kidding me right? God has a funny sense of humor sometimes, but sometimes he makes things so clear. I am grateful for such an amazing group of people around me and I CANNOT fail them or myself. I want to live, be married, and raise kids of my own. I can't do this and be this fat! I want to live so I got banded. And now I'm here hoping to get some good advice and support. Thanks all!

Amen to that!!!:D You are so blessed and divinely favored! God clearly had a plan to answer your prayers. I am so happy for you!! What an awesome support system you have around you and what a wonderful God you serve.;) I am sorry to hear that you are having some post op pain but rest assured this is a small blip in your journey and you will not even remember or care about any pains you may be having when you begin to see the pounds shedding and live out those humble and commendable goals you have for your future ;) . No pains can compare to those we struggle with daily being obese thats for sure! You have made a step in the right direction and I congratulate you wholeheartedly!:D Welcome to the forum and best wishes to you! I'm sure you will be on the success side of the forum before you know it! I started out at almost 400lbs with the same dreams for the future you have shared also and even with my slip ups and old habits dying hard I have managed to put a nice dent in my weight loss so your aspirations are definitely feasible. Stay focused and rejoice in all the mini milestones on the way. You're on your way!

You are truly blessed. How are you feeling today

You are truly blessed. How are you feeling today

It's awesome, I'm feeling better every day! I could actually spend a whole night in my bed (Was having to sleep in a recliner since surgery since it hurts so much to lay on my side), I am able to drink more fluids (Can finally get at least 40g of Protein in) and I've already lost 23 lbs since starting the pre-op diet 4 weeks ago!!

One question for anyone who might know: Did you guys feel hunger immediately post op? I feel ZERO hunger. Nothing. As a matter of fact for the past few days I've had a hard time even drinking that much before feeling REALLY full. Is this normal? Surgical swelling still? I'm only 5 days post-op

Thanks all!

hey there! congrats on your surgery! My name is Dave and I was banded in February weighing in at 330 lbs. Currently I am down to 265 and couldn't feel better! To answer your question though, I had NO hunger for the first week and little hunger the next week, but unfortunately the hunger does come back before your first fill arrives - so enjoy it now! :) Good luck!

I felt no physical hunger immediately post op, I often times felt really full from nothing or just a few sips of Fluid. I think it was the swelling for me. I imagine the last thing the body is worried about is food while its still recovering from the trauma of surgery. But indeed mental hunger returned first especially once I moved into the mushy phase- my mind wanted to CHEW!haha

I did feel hunger right from the very start. You have such a wonderful story... I use Dr. Fox too and love him love him love him. He is strict! All the folks at TR will tell you he is the most strict with his patients but he also has the best success rate. I have lost a total of 178 in the past 11 and a half years. 98 since my LB sugery in April of 2010. Keep moving....I wear a pedometer everyday and try to get 10 to 12 thousand steps per day...ask DR. Fox how many he gets.... it's like a competetion...he never beats me...ha ha....good luck and keep us posted....

I felt no physical hunger immediately post op, I often times felt really full from nothing or just a few sips of Fluid. I think it was the swelling for me. I imagine the last thing the body is worried about is food while its still recovering from the trauma of surgery. But indeed mental hunger returned first especially once I moved into the mushy phase- my mind wanted to CHEW!haha

Hi all! New guy from Plano, TX here! I am 4 days post-op. I feel like someone stabbed me, but I am not regretting this for a second! Glad to be on here and am hoping some of you have some good advice for me. At almost 400 lbs at 31 yrs old, I knew I had to do something about my weight but didn't know what to do!

I had zero energy, was too depressed to even shower most mornings, and didn't have insurance to pay for any surgery. And most insurance companies wouldn't insure me because I am so overweight!!

Well, my parents sat me down... told me that they wanted to do anything they could to help me, because they loved me and wanted to see me happy and healthy. My dad offered me a huge chunk of his savings (they're teachers and far from rich) about $5000. Said that I should take it and have surgery that would change my health for the better. They said it would make them happier than any money ever could. So I was about 4k short of being able to pay for it myself.

THE NEXT DAY, I sat down to lunch with my boss and asked him what he thought about the lap band procedure... his response? "Oh wow!! I was JUST about to talk to you about that! I wanted to know if you were interested in the procedure, and I wanted to know I would be willing to sponsor your surgery in the amount of $4000!"

You have to be kidding me right? God has a funny sense of humor sometimes, but sometimes he makes things so clear. I am grateful for such an amazing group of people around me and I CANNOT fail them or myself. I want to live, be married, and raise kids of my own. I can't do this and be this fat! I want to live so I got banded. And now I'm here hoping to get some good advice and support. Thanks all!

We give God the Glory!!!!! Wow I am so happy for u1 That he has bless u in away that will make your life better!!!!!!!!!! He is such and awesome God!!! He is always showing up and showing out!!!! Be Bless on your Journey!!!!:D And feel free to ask any question!!!!!! I am 10 Months out and I thank God for helping me!! So far it been good!! I haven't had any fills!!! Anyway be bless!! And remember there is no wrong question :D Be bless

We do serve an awesome God, don't we? Congratulaitions on your decision and I know you won't regret it. Start moving a little bit and add a little bit each day. I have close ties to OK and tx but in the end I root for the Ducks and sooners, in that order, lol.

Take good care and visit often.

Melinda

Good for you. This is a life changing decision and gets better and better!

The reason you don't feel hunger is because your stomach is swollen due to surgery. You will start feeling hungry in another week or so and you will need to be patient until you start getting your fills to achieve the restriction. Your fills will be done every 6 weeks until you've reached the green zone. The green zone is when you eat about 1/2 cup, maybe 1 cup, of food per meal depending on your activity level, and remain without hunger until your next meal (4-5 hours later). It takes awhile to get there, but , you will and patience is the key. You are truly blessed to have a caring employer and loving parents.

Before my surgery I was a dedicated couch potato and watched every movie that was out there. When not watching movies I was so tired all the time and did a lot of sleeping (depression). The little activity I did was so painful on my joints. I became isolated from everyone and didn't want to be around anyone other than my immediate family, consisting of my wife and 3 sons. Well, then one of my son's made me a grandfather and seeing my granddaughter the first time inspired me to want to be around for her and starting looking into weight loss surgery.

One year later my life has totally changed. I'm active with exercising, active in my community, I jog with my youngest son, work out at the gym and have my granddaughter spoiled rotten. I actually enjoy being around people and participate in gatherings. I don't watch as many movies anymore :-( and the couch misses me. lol I'm really happy for you. You are on your way to new beginnings! Jake

I am 4 days post-op. I feel like someone stabbed me,

Ha! I know how you feel. I was just banded Monday and I feel like I have been stabbed also!:D

Best of luck to you man!

Hey Man, I am in Longview, TX. I am 5' 11" and 405lbs. I am similar to your weight. Can you give me any advice? Are you glad you have done this? How long were you in the hospital? Any information you can give for a fellow Texan would be great. I believe I am about to endure this journey and I believe I will qualify with my insurance, just freaked out a bit on where to start and where to go to even begin. Thanks in advanced. God Bless you and may he grant you strength and consistency through your journey.

BocajApache,

Hey man, thanks for the post... yeah I am glad I've done it. I have to tell you though, you need to realize that there is no band for your mind. Many of us are this big for a reason, and the band will not fix those reasons. It will only help you in a mechanical way. I have had a few setbacks, trouble making the right choices, and overall am still struggling with my new life with a lap band. I have lost over 50lbs now, but it is a daily struggle. I think I'm finally in the green zone, so I hope to start losing more now. I encourage you to speak to as many people about this as possible, I found a lot of great advice on this website, spoke to a few support groups, and went for it. It's just one step at a time bro! I'm glad I did. Lemme know if you have any other specific questions!

God does have a sense of humor and an immense heart. I was just telling my hubby that this morning. He didn't start me on this trial and not be watching out for us. God can do it all, but he wants us to do it and when we follow his plan, we will be richly rewarded.

Best of luck!

With backing like that you can not fail. God made this possible for you for a reason. God bless!