Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Strange Instructions...

Hi all,

I was banded on 9/20 and my doctor wanted me on Clear liquids for 3 weeks (up on 10/11). I went to see her yesterday and the visit took no more than 3 minutes (she diditn even look at my incisions) and gace me the following instructions "after your liquid you can go on to mushies for 4 weeks, then come back on 10/31 and we can discuss food". No talk about fills either. Is this insane????? is anyone else going thru something like this????

Its not like I want to eat a steak but I could barely get thru 2 weeks of liquids much less 4 weeks of mushies.

Im down 30 pounds....happy about that!!

Thanks.

Did you know about this post-op eating plan before you had the surgery?

I don't think it sounds soooo strange... different than what I had. but usually you don't have a fill until 6 weeks past surgery at the earliest... I DO think her brusqueness was weird!

I wasnt aware of the extent of it.....I knew I had to do the liquids and then the mushies but at no point was I informed it was for 4 weeks. As for the fills, I asked a lot of questions and at no point did they mention a 7 week wait for a fill.

I am trying my best to stay on the straight and narrow, doing what I feel is best for my body and am working out....in my head im asking myself, if I can make it thru the next 5 weeks without a fill and I start seeing results then do I really need a fill?

I will make this work, I will lose the weight......

Sorry that your experience with your doctor has not been informative. I was inundated with info. Your diet seems more restrictive than many here, but each doctor seems to have their own post op plan. Hope that you do well.

Yes, 6 week waits for fills are standard. Mushies for 4 weeks seems a little much-but not terrible. You can get pretty creative with mushies-and some mushies are yummy! Good luck!

Hi all,

I was banded on 9/20 and my doctor wanted me on Clear Liquids for 3 weeks (up on 10/11). I went to see her yesterday and the visit took no more than 3 minutes (she diditn even look at my incisions) and gace me the following instructions "after your liquid you can go on to mushies for 4 weeks, then come back on 10/31 and we can discuss food". No talk about fills either. Is this insane????? is anyone else going thru something like this????

Its not like I want to eat a steak but I could barely get thru 2 weeks of liquids much less 4 weeks of mushies.

Im down 30 pounds....happy about that!!

Thanks.

Hi Rosy, I have been amazed at the variety of instructions given by surgeons and dieticians, you would think there was best practice in there somewhere, an agreed 'this is what to do'. Yours does sound extreme. I was banded a week ago and I am on a Soup (with bits, just not big bits), porridge, yogurt, fruit juice etc and I'm on that for 2 weeks and then transition straight to textured foods, no mushies at all. I would really struggle with your regime but best of luck with it!

Hi Rosy, I have been amazed at the variety of instructions given by surgeons and dieticians, you would think there was best practice in there somewhere, an agreed 'this is what to do'. Yours does sound extreme. I was banded a week ago and I am on a Soup (with bits, just not big bits), porridge, yogurt, fruit juice etc and I'm on that for 2 weeks and then transition straight to textured foods, no mushies at all. I would really struggle with your regime but best of luck with it!

I agree with you when it comes to the different instructions from each doctor! Mine wasn't nearly as restrictive, I am not sure I would have been able to do liquids for 3 weeks and mushies for an additional 4... almost 2 months?!! I wonder if it has to do with the type/size of the band... I know each patient is different, so who am I to question? I just don't know if I could have gone that long without any textured foods.

My diet was similiar. 3 days of clear liquids, then 6 weeks of modified full liquid - I guess you would call it mushie diet. I was allowed strained or well-blended Soups, yogurt, cottage cheese, thin oatmeal/grits, jellos, pudding, applesauce, Protein Shakes. I can tell you now I will never eat Jello, pudding or applesauce again. It was a long 6 weeks but I got thru it. Just hang in there - you can do this.

thank you all for your responses and words of encouragement....im trying!!!:P

I was on solids at 4 weeks... 7 seems extreme but I'm not shocked. Every doctor is so different. I couldn't do 7 weeks. It wasn't because I was hungry, I just wanted to she's something in my mouth! Haha I'm a texture eater so all the mushie stuff was starting to gross me out.

I'm 9 weeks post op and I haven't had a fill. And won't for at least 3 more weeks. I'm losing consistently so I guess I don't need one yet. Sometimes I get hungry but I just try to drink a lot, find low calories Snacks if I need them and stay busy!

I guess each Dr. has different instructions based (hopefully) on patients. I was on fluids for 10 days, then mushies for 1 week, then onto food after. I would stick w. what your Dr. is telling you - if you feel that you can't do it - call them up and ask if you can move onto the next stage.

Good Luck =)

I couldnt take it today so i mushed a tiny potato and mixed it in with my soup...it was delish! and, satisfied me....and I dont feel bad either becasue Im still on my Protein and drinking lots of Water. I also exercised so.....

On my thick liquid stage I added Water or milk or Protein Water to anything and blended it!! HAHA taht got me thru 2.5 weeks of liquids! And my mushies and soft stages lasteda bout 2-3 weeks also. At week 7 I got my first fill. it was tiny but i got a fill. lol. then every 2 weeks after that i went back to get more fills. I am at 5.5c amd very satisfied. it didnt take long for me to reach restriction.

You are very similar to the diet I'm on. When I went for my 2 week check up, I admitted to my dr. that I had progressed myself to cottage cheese and melted cheese. It was the only thing that got me through. When he told me I had to do 4 weeks of mushies - I told him that I refused to blend meat to the consistency of applesauce before eating. He backed off a lot, and told me to do just about a week at that point, and then slowly start introducing foods back in. It took me about 48 hours to get to ground turkey meat and I've had no problems. At this point, I have not had a solid piece of meat yet - probably because I'm afraid. He said he wants me to be on regular food by my 6 week appt., and that's when I get my first fill. I can't wait, because I am starving all the time!