Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The secret life of PBing

Another dinner down the drain! Went out to a bar to Celebrate a firend's birthday with a bunch of people. I had 3 shrimp and the slime started. I wentto the bathroom twice and I knew (from experience) it was going to be a bad night in bandland. I told my husband my side was hurting (I have had side pain for the last 2 weeks and they can't figure out what's wrong) but the real reason I wante dto leave if I could tell the shrimp did not land well-3 friggen shrimp! I tell him to stay and I will drive home. I ask him to get the car and while he's getting it for me I PB behind a car in the lot-had no napkin so I had to use a pad I had in my pocketbook to wipe with. I drove home hoping for green lights (it was only a 5 minute drive). The bad news is I have an anniversay dinner to go to tomorrow night -yet another dinner!!

My hubby is pretty much the only one who knows I had surgery. I don't tell him when I PB. I don't see the point, plus is that info that I really need to share. Why ruin his dinner? Do you guys tell your partners or friends when dinner isn't going down right? I would think they would get sick and tired of hearing about it.

I dread going outto eat with people-does it get any better? I read of vetern bandsters who still only manage a teeny portion at dinner.

I have learned that I must always carry napkins and some platic bags with me in the car and even in my pocketbook-just in case.

Do you ever feel like a closet PBer? I hope it gets better!

Another dinner down the drain! Went out to a bar to Celebrate a firend's birthday with a bunch of people. I had 3 shrimp and the slime started. I wentto the bathroom twice and I knew (from experience) it was going to be a bad night in bandland. I told my husband my side was hurting (I have had side pain for the last 2 weeks and they can't figure out what's wrong) but the real reason I wante dto leave if I could tell the shrimp did not land well-3 friggen shrimp! I tell him to stay and I will drive home. I ask him to get the car and while he's getting it for me I PB behind a car in the lot-had no napkin so I had to use a pad I had in my pocketbook to wipe with. I drove home hoping for green lights (it was only a 5 minute drive). The bad news is I have an anniversay dinner to go to tomorrow night -yet another dinner!!

My hubby is pretty much the only one who knows I had surgery. I don't tell him when I PB. I don't see the point, plus is that info that I really need to share. Why ruin his dinner? Do you guys tell your partners or friends when dinner isn't going down right? I would think they would get sick and tired of hearing about it.

I dread going outto eat with people-does it get any better? I read of vetern bandsters who still only manage a teeny portion at dinner.

I have learned that I must always carry napkins and some platic bags with me in the car and even in my pocketbook-just in case.

Do you ever feel like a closet PBer? I hope it gets better!

Make an attempt to slow down when you eat out. If you know you will get stuck on Protein (stress, being out, stress) eat half your baked potato and veggies. No way can you get stuck on them. Order soup..don't worry what others think. This is your life....you still need to enjoy going out with others. Avoid PBing at all cost. Hugs. Just do a calm down....you'll be fine.

I can't do a baked potatoe or veggies. I can do mashed potatoes though! Og Soup would have been a REALLy good idea! I will definitely order soup tomorrow-thanks for reminding me about that! I use to love salads and all kinds of fruits-now I can't really eat them. I can't do side dishes unless they are mushies.

I am going to a seafood place tomorrow so I'll have soup and a nice flakey type fish or maybe crab imperial.

It's all about chewing and eating slow. The second something doesn't feel right, don't take one more bite. I think we try to eat to fast when we are out to keep up with everyone else. If you only eat one bite and it's not going down then stop and have it packed to go. It took me a year to learn this. And yes, because I don't hide my band, I simply tell my dinner partner that my band doesn't want to eat just yet, so I'll finish later at home.

I always order Soup when I go out with other people. I don't want to take the chance. My closest friends know what happens but I don't really give them all the gorey details, except for one friend who is also banded. We always know when it happens to each other. We've even gone into the bathroom together and held each others hair!

Aww so sorry =( i can never eat shrimp, they do not get stuck, but just give me a real weird feeling, chew chew chew and it never gets soft,

it really sounds to me like you ARE too tight, that is not normal, and eating all the slider foods andthe PB is a sure sighn u are too tight.

Having the band dpes not mean having to carry napkins around and being a closet Pber =) Def see your Dr and even if its just .20 or .10 take alittle out so u can enjoy your life =)

That was me too....everything would always get stuck. I couldnt eat any fruits or raw veggies. If i ate any veggies they had to be steamed or cooked and I still wouldn't be able to eat much. I wanted to so badly be able to eat healthy and to feel satisfied. After I got my 3rd fill which made me have 5.25cc..i started Pbing all the time. I thought that was normal and that soon it would loosen up well i was wrong. I never got any Fluid taken out and ended up having a slipped band. I think all the Pbing caused this to happen. Now Im going on almost a month unfilled and able to eat normal again although since I had been banded I felt deprived of all the things I missed eating so Ive gained a couple pounds but now that ive satisfied my taste buds its back to eating healthy again : ) I am going to get a little fill here in a couple weeks and see what happens but if I start getting sick again, its gonna have to come out which if it does i will get the sleeve done. I know that i need something in place because I am addicted to food. I really wish i could overcome this problem with food addiction. Well anyway NJgirl good luck to you. My advice though is to get some fluid taken out because you shouldn't be getting sick like that. Take care

Thank you so much for all the comments and support!

I don't PB all the time, but it does happen now and then. I am guessing that I probably didn't chew enough and maybe even with shrimp I might need to cut small pieces instead of taking the tail and eating it that way.

Geeze I really don't want an unfill because i is helping control my portions and I still have a long way to go. I can drink liquids with no problem at all and meats in small portions. I just disocvered a new quick food item I can have-McDonalds! Yes, you heard me right-I ordered a snack size chicken (grilled) wrap with sauce. I didn't eat the wrap part but the chicken and lettuce was the prefect size for me. The best part is it was under $3.00.

This morning I still attempted to have 1 egg and 2 slices of bacon. I could only manage 1/2 slice of bacon and 1 bite of egg. When will I learn that my band can't do mornings?? I had a yougurt with granola mixed in instead and it felt much better!

Haha, I STILL (2 years later) try to convince myself that I can eat in the mornings, and every stinkin' time I pay for it. I'll never learn! When I PB (which has been more frequent lately because I've been having awful acid reflux and I'm trying to get it under control) my husband knows instantly...almost as instantly as I do. Apparently I have a "stuck face" as he calls it. He just knows that I need to go to the bathroom and take care of business. I couldn't hide it from him if I wanted to!

Funny you should post this.

We just got back from dinner.

Started dinner with a Vodka Martini. wink.gif

Then had shrimp, filet and mashed potatoes. After 2-3 shrimp, excused myself to go to the bathroom. Spit it all up!

Came back to the table and finished my garlic mashed potatoes. Never touched the fillet.

On the way home stopped at Starbucks to bring coffee home.

So that was my dinner tonight. Three shrimp I spit back up, a Martini, mashed potatoes, and coffee. Ahhh, the life of a bandster.

Tonight's the Yankee Game. I'll have a Protein shake while sitting in front of the TV.

For the newcomers, it is not always like this, but there will be days. Nothing to worry about, all part of the learning experience.

Oh, I do take small bite and eat slow. But shrimp is one of those crunchy foods that does not break down easily as part of the digestive process. I generally stay away from "Crunchy" foods.

Also, I can NEVER eat solid foods for Breakfast since being banded.

Funny you should post this.

We just got back from dinner.

Started dinner with a Vodka Martini. wink.gif

Then had shrimp, filet and mashed potatoes. After 2-3 shrimp, excused myself to go to the bathroom. Spit it all up!

Came back to the table and finished my garlic mashed potatoes. Never touched the fillet.

On the way home stopped at Starbucks to bring coffee home.

So that was my dinner tonight. Three shrimp I spit back up, a Martini, mashed potatoes, and coffee. Ahhh, the life of a bandster.

Tonight's the Yankee Game. I'll have a Protein shake while sitting in front of the TV.

For the newcomers, it is not always like this, but there will be days. Nothing to worry about, all part of the learning experience.

Oh, I do take small bite and eat slow. But shrimp is one of those crunchy foods that does not break down easily as part of the digestive process. I generally stay away from "Crunchy" foods.

Also, I can NEVER eat solid foods for Breakfast since being banded.

Think you could turn the faucet off so maybe they can get this game in?

I was told ahead of time that shrimp was "off limits". So, i hust havent tried it. I dont believe that "chew chew chew" is always the answer.

Tonight I went out with friends to a fancy resturant with friend for their 25th anniversery. I was worried about it since last night was the shrimp mess. I ordered soup-good move! Then I order salmon in some maple sauce-it came with 3 ravolis which I gave 2 away. Well is was delicious!! I had a tiny piece of brad (very tiny). I gave a little of my fish to my hubby to try. I have 2 martinis (hey it was a 25th anniversery!! Well is was a HUGE success-no problems at all and every thing was the perfect size for a banster, however Iam sure some others thought there could have been more food on their plates! lol I feel so much better today. I think I just had a very bad night last night and maybe I need to give shrimp a break for a while?:blink:

I was told shrimp was off limits as well. Probably some shellfish too. It can be pretty chewy. I think that's the problem. Hope lobster is ok though!