Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a lying liar

I personally have told alot of people about the band.My friends,family, coworkers, people at the gym. I want them to know about this great tool and how it has saved my life. I have lost 48lbs and people are always curious in how I did it. They are truely amazed at my progress and are great cheerleaders. Sometimes I feel a little embarrassed by my weightloss at work because everyone comments and I hate bringing alot of attention to myself because I don't want people to think I am bragging or being boastful. I don't tell perfect strangers because many never ask. Again its your personal choice on who you tell. I would have probably told the ladies at the gym. Heck they may have contemplated the idea but too nervous because they never knew anyone who had it. Follow you heart and don't put so much pressure on yourself.

I almost cried when I saw your post. I was only banded on 6/27/11. The last time I was at the Dr's office, I had only lost 12 lbs. I am so happy I only told a couple of people. I was still feeling like a failure. I couldn't believe I had surgery, and STILL wasn't losing weight. I have 9ccs in an 11 cc band. My next weigh-in is 3 days away. I saw a picture of myself yesterday for the first time since the surgery. When I was looking from the waist up, it was amazing. Now I know eventually the rest will come. I will be forever motivated. I still don't think I will ever tell that many people. But now I see there is a light at the end of the tunnel. And who knows, if you feel comfortable with it, maybe you can help someone you don't know change their life as well.

Like others who have posted here...It is your choice whether or not to tell others of your band. There are no right or wrong answers!

For me...I tell everyone as I am in healthcare and did not want the rumor mill to diagnose me with some traumatic disease state. I also prepared myself for those that might be negative. so far everyone has been extremely supportive from my family, folks at work and my neighbors. I have had one person mention the dreaded statement "the easy way", I took the time to educate her and she told me that she had a friend who had WLS that was not successful and we then had a long conversation about the failure of WLS too.

My neighbor, came over to ask me about my weight loss and I told her. However, when I speak of the band, I also educate on the various other WLS as with all of us a choice should be made by the one who is going to have the surgery. She chose to go with GB and has been doing great! We talk over Vitamins and help each other out when the going gets tough, i.e. what types of food to eat, the balancing of carbs vs. Proteins.

The one piece of advice that I have for anyone who is feeling guilty is don't.... this is your process, your journey and you can approach it in any way that you want.

Typically when people ask how I do it, I tell them I eat smaller portions, make better food choices, and exercise. That's not a lie, that's the truth.

I don't have a problem with people knowing I've had the lapband, but I don't typically share unless there's a reason to. I don't go out and tell everyone, but a good number of people I work with know. Someone in the office next to me has been going through the process for quite a while (she has a different insurance and they require the 6 month doctor supervised diet) and her surgery is in the next couple weeks. It's funny because when she sent an e-mail to our lead, requesting the time off, she said "Because I want to be like Holli when I grow up, I am taking off.....etc etc". I thought that was cute.

I also shared an office with one lady for 2 years. She was there when I got the lapband and also for the next year. She saw my struggles and my success. At the time she had said it wasn't something she'd do because she knew several people that "failed" with it (haven't lost weight). Well, I'm close to losing 100lbs. About a month ago she called me up (we now work in a different location) and said she decided she was going to get the lapband and I was her inspiration. Her surgery is in 2 days.

Sometimes it's good to let people know, especially those you know struggle with weight. Weight loss isn't easy and some of us really do need the extra help. I like knowing that I've inspired at least one person to make a decision to want to be healthy.

Thank you all so very much for your very encouraging reply's. You all have offered such great insight and I have taken it all to heart.

I told everyone, family, church and school. (I pastor and teach in public school.) for me it was a great choice. Everyone is supportive and kind. I feel like I'm educating a lot of people. I think some others will choose to go this way as well. Last week my director called me in to go over some paperwork and while there she asked if my energy level was up, did I feel better, was there anything they could do for me. I was really taken aback by the kindness. They feel I am going to be a better, more active teacher because of what I have done and I agree. I think it will just get better. I know we are all different, but we are here helping each other and there are many not here who could use our help as well.

When I went to have the surgery in 2009-2010 time I told my entire family and they made me feel like garbage. Oh why would you do something so drastic? Why can't you go to the gym and do it like regular people? Blah. So in 2011 I decided not to tell anyone and went and did it and in September I was banded. The only people who know is my parents. I finally told my closest aunt and cousin and they hug me and was so happy I made such a change for the better and my health.

I think you have to decided if you want people to know. Some people will have negative and some will have positive reactions.

A lot of people think wls is drastic.

I think it really depends on how you know these women and if you want them to know this about you.

Don't be ashamed and don't call yourself a liar. It's your business. People see me eating less, stop drinking, and losing weight and I say, I'm on a diet.

Ask what I do, I eat smaller portions and I work out. Which is true. That's really what the band does.