Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm getting talked out of Surgery on Obesity Help

I really thought this would work for me. I am a healthy eater, I don't eat emotionally, I know how to exercise and count calories/journal my food, and am absolutely not going to have a malabsorbative procedure.

Yet I am still being told that the rate of slippage, scar tissue, vomiting, hunger, incorrect fills, etc are so bad that no one should get it.

Help me out here- I feel like I've done a lot of research, but now I'm wondering. My surgery is scheduled for Nov. at a Center of Excellence. Almost 50% of my surgeon's procedures are Lap Band.

I don't know what to do now.

Only you can make this decision for yourself. Where are the statistical numbers coming from that you mentioned in your post for erosion, slippage, etc? Is that just someone posting it on a message board to you? If you are concerned about that I would think talking to your doctor's office would be a more educationally correct source. Ask your bariatic coordinator to give you some numbers from your doctor's facility. I would bet that the numbers are extremely low. Considering how many people have this surgery every day, if it were true that it was such a failure, don't you think that there would not be so many of them? I don't understand why the site Obesity Help is so negative towards lap band surgery, other than lack of knowledge on their part. Read the success stories here to offset the negativity and to give you another perspective. I am 12 days out from surgery and think I made the best decision ever in my life. I am excited to use this tool to have a healthier and better quality of life than I have now. Once again, only you can make this decision for yourself though.

This is your decision entirely, Just make sure you have all the correct facts before you make up your mind. I'm a member of the forum you mentioned

and I go there only to mention Lap band and watch the feathers fly. They are very GBS centric. If you want horror stories about GBS, go to Google

and look up "Gastric Bypass Surgery CBS". In reality, LBS is probably safer than any other form of WLS. Try reversing GBS or the sleeve. Again, you're

the one who has to live with whatever decision you make so make it an informed one.

If you are going to a Center of Excellence, I can almost guarantee your success

I agree with the others that have said it's your decision and one that should be made with your doctor. Not by some strangers that don't even know you. I was banded two months ago and today and I've lost 51 pounds. That 51 pounds means the world to me. I have only had 2 fills and am still working with my doctor to find the right restriction. Once you find that sweet spot you could be good for 6 months before you need another fill. But it involves communicating with your doctor, telling him where you are in your eating and are you getting hungry before you should etc. Talk to your doctor. No one wants you to do something you aren't comfortable with. Good luck in any decision you make so long as it is yours!! :rolleyes:

This is your decision entirely, Just make sure you have all the correct facts before you make up your mind. I'm a member of the forum you mentioned

and I go there only to mention Lap band and watch the feathers fly. They are very GBS centric. If you want horror stories about GBS, go to Google

and look up "Gastric Band Surgery CBS". In reality, LBS is probably safer than any other form of WLS. Try reversing GBS or the sleeve. Again, you're

the one who has to live with whatever decision you make so make it an informed one.

If you are going to a Center of Excellence, I can almost guarantee your success

I was very seriously considering RNY until I could not come up with any good evidence of the positive effects 10-15-20 years out. I'm 39. I don't want osteoperosis or not be able to drive at night because my vision is so poor from lack of nutrients. The studies I've seen show that 95% of RNY patients after 5 years suffer severe malabsorption issues even while following the prescribed Vitamin protocol. I take Vitamins and minerals already. i believe in their importance to every function in our body. I cannot- will not- have such a drastic procedure (that cannot be undone) when I see those that kind of outcome. And I can't talk about it on most forums because most people have had RNY and I'm not looking for a battle nor do I want to freak them out, because they can't do anything about it having had the surgery anyway.

I want to go about losing weight as I have in the past- but without the hunger or the ability to eat more than I should in one sitting. I've been successful in the past with tracking my foods, eating yummy but very healthy meals, exercising at the gym, doing cardio in my target heart rate range, strength training to prevent muscle loss......I know how to do it the right way. I just find myself becoming exhausted of it after a period of time. And getting started when I feel so down on myself. My thinking was that I'd need to do all those things I mentioned including counting calories, Protein, carbs, fat and Fiber, but having the band would be my extra motivation, my extra kick in the ass to keep me going and help me in my problem areas- eating too quickly, too much and being hungry on 1200 calories.

@Corrigan: LMAO!! ("watch the feathers fly")

I agree with the others ... do your homework. Research and ask questions of your doc.

I have been banded a little over 2 years and I couldn't be happier -- and I happen to be a slow loser.

Yes, I've read about a number of people with complications, but what I have learned about the band in the past 2+ years is that Lapband is the thinking persons WLS. I say this because it is so different from GBS -- the weight does not just "fall off" days after surgery (for most, not all) If you do not learn how to work the band you can easily end up with complications. The band is not for everyone. From your description in your original post, it does sound like a good surgery for you, but you must decide this for yourself. Just be sure to do your homework. I believe that reading this forum is good too. Here, you get the good, the bad, and the ugly ... and everything in between.

I hope everything goes well for you, whatever you decide.

I really thought this would work for me. I am a healthy eater, I don't eat emotionally, I know how to exercise and count calories/journal my food, and am absolutely not going to have a malabsorbative procedure.

Yet I am still being told that the , etc are so bad that no one should get it.

Help me out here- I feel like I've done a lot of research, but now I'm wondering. My surgery is scheduled for Nov. at a Center of Excellence. Almost 50% of my surgeon's procedures are Lap Band.

Based on your first paragraph I would think the LapBand would be perfect for you as well. I dont petend to walk in your shoes so will not tell you what to do. I also have no idea what a Center of Excellence is.... What I do know is this.

I stepped on the scale in My surgeon's office last December and weighed 377 lbs. At 5"10 I was a big girl. Last week I stepped on that same scale and it read 253. I am still 5'10 and I am still a big girl.... but I am 124 lbs, 10 sizes and more inches than i can count smaller. And in another 6 months I expect to be 165 lbs.

I know how to diet... shoot I had done it more times than I could count over the past 30 years. Problem is... I never learned to eat just a little bit. No one taught me food is fuel. Until the Lapband.

My Dr is strict. He has done 600 bands so I trust him and have followed his guidelines to the letter. I gave up carbonation, stay away from fried foods, do not drink my calories and record what goes in my mouth on my phone ap. I eat 4-6 oz of food per meal...3 x per day. I have 2 Snacks. I stay at around 1000 calories and walk 2 miles a few times per week. I have been doing that since December of last year.

I dont care about the statics. I did my research, picked a top bariatric Dr and follow his rules. I can tell you he has removed 1 band in 600 due to a medical problem. He also was honest to tell me at least 20% of his patients fail... because they do not follow the rules, get regular fills and keep appointments. I have never vomited but I have brought food back up when I ate to fast or too much...that isnt tha band's fault. I have never been "starving" except the first 4 days of the liquid diet. I am not sure what an incorrect fill is... unless you mean its not enough or too much. Thats part of the process getting to your green zone. Its certainly not a big deal.

That said... I believe this band has worked for me and will continue to work for me after I reach my goal because I want it too. Its a drastic measure... but one I was ready to make. I dont know how much you need to lose... I dont know what your motivation is... but the band does 70% of the work. You must do the rest. For me... I was willing to give %30.

Yet I am still being told that the , etc are so bad that no one should get it.

Based on your first paragraph I would think the LapBand would be perfect for you as well. I dont petend to walk in your shoes so will not tell you what to do. I also have no idea what a Center of Excellence is.... What I do know is this.

I stepped on the scale in My surgeon's office last December and weighed 377 lbs. At 5"10 I was a big girl. Last week I stepped on that same scale and it read 253. I am still 5'10 and I am still a big girl.... but I am 124 lbs, 10 sizes and more inches than i can count smaller. And in another 6 months I expect to be 165 lbs.

I know how to diet... shoot I had done it more times than I could count over the past 30 years. Problem is... I never learned to eat just a little bit. No one taught me food is fuel. Until the Lapband.

My Dr is strict. He has done 600 bands so I trust him and have followed his guidelines to the letter. I gave up carbonation, stay away from fried foods, do not drink my calories and record what goes in my mouth on my phone ap. I eat 4-6 oz of food per meal...3 x per day. I have 2 Snacks. I stay at around 1000 calories and walk 2 miles a few times per week. I have been doing that since December of last year.

I dont care about the statics. I did my research, picked a top bariatric Dr and follow his rules. I can tell you he has removed 1 band in 600 due to a medical problem. He also was honest to tell me at least 20% of his patients fail... because they do not follow the rules, get regular fills and keep appointments. I have never vomited but I have brought food back up when I ate to fast or too much...that isnt tha band's fault. I have never been "starving" except the first 4 days of the liquid diet. I am not sure what an incorrect fill is... unless you mean its not enough or too much. Thats part of the process getting to your green zone. Its certainly not a big deal.

That said... I believe this band has worked for me and will continue to work for me after I reach my goal because I want it too. Its a drastic measure... but one I was ready to make. I dont know how much you need to lose... I dont know what your motivation is... but the band does 70% of the work. You must do the rest. For me... I was willing to give %30.

And I wanted to add..... I wish you all the best in making your decision. You are the only one who knows what is best for you!B)

I want to go about losing weight as I have in the past- but without the hunger or the ability to eat more than I should in one sitting. I've been successful in the past with tracking my foods, eating yummy but very healthy meals, exercising at the gym, doing cardio in my target heart rate range, strength training to prevent muscle loss......I know how to do it the right way. I just find myself becoming exhausted of it after a period of time. And getting started when I feel so down on myself. My thinking was that I'd need to do all those things I mentioned including counting calories, Protein, carbs, fat and Fiber, but having the band would be my extra motivation, my extra kick in the ass to keep me going and help me in my problem areas- eating too quickly, too much and being hungry on 1200 calories.

That is kind of how the band worked for me. I know how to lose weight. I know the things I need to change, but really it was the surgery that shored everything up for me. It helps keeps me accountable. It reminds me when I screw up and helps set me on the right path. I personally haven't had any fills in the band because I really want it to be because of my hard work and effort that I am losing the weight. Some have asked then why have the surgery. The surgery was my rock bottom in my addiction to food. To me it was my wake up call and that is exactly what I needed it to be.

Remember the band is a tool. You determine how you want to use it.You can do things as fast or as slow as you need them to be for you. I don't know you but from how you describe yourself, this would work for you. Whatever you decide, good luck on your journey and yeah I would hesitate of doing the RNY.

I agree with most of these posts, while I have not been banded yet, I believe the Band is the best for me. I'm not interested in losing weight fast but to get to my healthy point and stay there. That's where I think the Band will help me the most. My Dr keeps trying to talk me into getting the GBS but i have made up my mind. The rNy and the GBS makes you lose instantly which increases the chNces of gaining weight back again. The reason why is bc the muscle mass and skin do not have time to catch up with the rapid weight loss. There is alot more muscle mass lost as well. That I learned from reading 4 books on all the types of WLS. I've done my homework. The band offers restriction and maintenance. So while u have to make the choice that will best fit you, I wish u luck in your upcoming surgery! Personally, I chose the LB!

Yet I am still being told that the rate of slippage, scar tissue, vomiting, hunger, incorrect fills, etc are so bad that no one should get it.

I was banded in 2008 at a 'Center of Excellence'. Was extremely happy with the band as I'd lost about 100 lbs my first year. Two weeks ago my band was removed via emergency surgery as the band had eroded so bad it was over 80% inside my stomach.

I encourage you to research, research, research and ask a butt-load of questions from your surgeon and your PCP. As part of my research after my band failed I found this article in JAMA from July 2011: Based on a follow-up of 54.3% of patients,LAGB appears to result in a mean excess weight loss of 42.8%after 12 years or longer. Of 78 patients, 47 (60.3%) were satisfied,and the quality-of-life index was neutral. However, becausenearly 1 out of 3 patients experienced band erosion, and nearly50% of the patients required removal of their bands (contributingto a reoperation rate of 60%), LAGB appears to result in relativelypoor long-term outcomes.

I also want to add that my surgeon who put in my band (and took it out) no longer performs banding because of the sheer volume of failures resulting in explantation.

I wish you luck and if the band is for you, I hope it works perfectly!

Okay knock on wood! I am a little over a year out from surgery. I had a picture perfect surgery and recovery. Did not use perscription pain killers at all only needed liquid Tylenol. I have never been over filled. There are no foods I have trouble eating. All my blood panels have been normal since surgery. I don't froth or have productive burps. No one I work with has any idea that I've had weight loss surgery; though they do comment on how healthy I eat.

Thank you all. I have asked more questions of my surgeon and had the answers I needed in order to feel more confident in my decision. I am also seeing a psychologist and a nutritionist as I prepare. I've never had surgery and definitely do not take this lightly, but I also don't want to freak myself out so much I become irrational and talk myself out of it. This is my tendency with any big decision, and I feel like I've ended up making the wrong choice at times in the past out of fear. I don't want to keep doing that for the rest of my life. This, as well as weight loss surgery and subsequent regular exercise and good eating habits are just a couple of ways I am looking to make some major life changes. I've been stuck below my potential for way too long. Good thing I started seeing a psychologist a month ago, who is teaching me to sweep aside the "But what ifs?" whenever they creep into my head, and instead concentrate on the task at hand which is to get some kind of exercise every day, make mindful eating choices and sit down and eat mindfully as well. It really is the best I can do to prepare.

I was banded in 2008 at a 'Center of Excellence'. Was extremely happy with the band as I'd lost about 100 lbs my first year. Two weeks ago my band was removed via emergency surgery as the band had eroded so bad it was over 80% inside my stomach.

I encourage you to research, research, research and ask a butt-load of questions from your surgeon and your PCP. As part of my research after my band failed I found this article in JAMA from July 2011: Based on a follow-up of 54.3% of patients,LAGB appears to result in a mean excess weight loss of 42.8%after 12 years or longer. Of 78 patients, 47 (60.3%) were satisfied,and the quality-of-life index was neutral. However, becausenearly 1 out of 3 patients experienced band erosion, and nearly50% of the patients required removal of their bands (contributingto a reoperation rate of 60%), LAGB appears to result in relativelypoor long-term outcomes.

I also want to add that my surgeon who put in my band (and took it out) no longer performs banding because of the sheer volume of failures resulting in explantation.

I wish you luck and if the band is for you, I hope it works perfectly!

Thank you. I'm interested in reading the article you cited but couldn't find it in the July 2011 JAMA issue. Is it possible it was another month/ publication? I currently work in a hospital and they're laying around everywhere here - just don't have time to look through them all for the article so thought I'd ask. Thanks!