Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP!!! Gaining weight

HELP!!!!! I'm having some major issues and concerns! I had my surgery in Jan of 2010 and was steadily losing until July, 2011. I moved from VA to GA and obviously had to switch surgeons. I was only 7 pounds from goal and was having a few issues with my band...I felt it was too tight, so I saw my new Dr here. From the minute I was told I could exercise following surgery, I was up and at 'em, starting with walking, running, spinning, kickboxing, you name it, I did it. It has never been an issue from the start, but suddenly my new Dr says I'm not eating enough. My previous surgeon told me to eat 3 oz total at meals, and snack only if needed(while I was working nights as a nurse). Well, the new dietician and PA told me to eat more calories and eat 4 oz of Protein and 4 oz of veggies or fruit, and snack between meals. When I work, I work 12 hour days so I get up super early. I get up at 4am to go to the gym before work, then I eat Breakfast at 6:00-6:15. They wanted me to eat something every three hours(some form of 4 ozprotein and 4oz fruit/veggie). Well, since I've been doing that for the last two months, I've GAINED 13 POUNDS(3 pounds in the last 6 days)!!!! I have called and e-mailed the Dr and dietician and they don't really seem that concerned. They keep telling me to be patient and that my body will adjust and my metabolism has to speed up after having supposedly been in starvation mode. Really??? How much weight do I have to gain and how long should it take for me to get out of starvation mode? Not to mention that I am working out 5-6 days per week including weights and cardio(30-60 minutes). Has anyone else had this problem? How much does your Dr tell you to eat? I am feeling SOOOOO discouraged and feeling like this is the same thing as all the other weight loss methods I've used. I don't know what to do, any suggestions would be very helpful, as I cannot get any response from my previous physician either:-(

Thank you!

I am no expert, but I would go back to what you were doing while you were losing.

If I ate more than three small meal per day( and maybe one snack) I would gain weight! That is what my body seems to do. I stick to my calories and smaller meals and I am steadily losing. I don't know if these Dr's always take into account how differently all of our bodies work.

Again, I am no expert but that is my opinion! :) good luck!

If your body had been in starvation mode you wouldn't have been losing weight. Sounds like they are working to a formula but you know your body best. I'm all for following a doctor's rules but if you were in starvation mode, you would have broken out of it in two months and started losing again. Check out some of the discussions on this topic on myfitnesspal.com They are very helpful.

I don't neccesarily have an answer for you but I can tell you what my doctor recommends. 3 oz solid Protein at 3 meals a day; plus veggies (limit carbs like bread white potatoes and rice). He recommends against Snacks as it could lead to ritualistic eating (I always have a snack at 3:00 so I must have one whether I'm hungry or not.) I do have a 160 cal. 30 g Protein Shake preworkout at 6:00 but I have lunch at 12 and don't get dinner until 8:30 or later.

Go back to what you know works...listen to yourself!!!

Find another Dr. This one is not working for your style and if you aren't comfortable now, you never will be. If you are gaining, then yes their method is not working.

Go back to what you were doing before and contact your old Dr and ask for advice.

HELP!!!!! I'm having some major issues and concerns! I had my surgery in Jan of 2010 and was steadily losing until July, 2011. I moved from VA to GA and obviously had to switch surgeons. I was only 7 pounds from goal and was having a few issues with my band...I felt it was too tight, so I saw my new Dr here. From the minute I was told I could exercise following surgery, I was up and at 'em, starting with walking, running, spinning, kickboxing, you name it, I did it. It has never been an issue from the start, but suddenly my new Dr says I'm not eating enough. My previous surgeon told me to eat 3 oz total at meals, and snack only if needed(while I was working nights as a nurse). Well, the new dietician and PA told me to eat more calories and eat 4 oz of Protein and 4 oz of veggies or fruit, and snack between meals. When I work, I work 12 hour days so I get up super early. I get up at 4am to go to the gym before work, then I eat breakfast at 6:00-6:15. They wanted me to eat something every three hours(some form of 4 ozprotein and 4oz fruit/veggie). Well, since I've been doing that for the last two months, I've GAINED 13 POUNDS(3 pounds in the last 6 days)!!!! I have called and e-mailed the Dr and dietician and they don't really seem that concerned. They keep telling me to be patient and that my body will adjust and my metabolism has to speed up after having supposedly been in starvation mode. Really??? How much weight do I have to gain and how long should it take for me to get out of starvation mode? Not to mention that I am working out 5-6 days per week including weights and cardio(30-60 minutes). Has anyone else had this problem? How much does your Dr tell you to eat? I am feeling SOOOOO discouraged and feeling like this is the same thing as all the other weight loss methods I've used. I don't know what to do, any suggestions would be very helpful, as I cannot get any response from my previous physician either:-(

Thank you!

I agree with Tracy. If you were in starvation mode you wouldn't have lost any weight. Go back to what you know works for you.

How many calories do you usually eat?? Before I started seeing this new surgeon, I was probably getting in 4-700 calories in along with my pretty strenuous workouts and never had a problem losing. My current Dr was convinced that since I was eating such few calories that this is what was causing me to stay the same...I was on a plateau because I she had released some Fluid...I didn't start gaining until she told me to eat more:-(

Thank you for your input! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy!

I am no expert, but I would go back to what you were doing while you were losing.

If I ate more than three small meal per day( and maybe one snack) I would gain weight! That is what my body seems to do. I stick to my calories and smaller meals and I am steadily losing. I don't know if these Dr's always take into account how differently all of our bodies work.

Again, I am no expert but that is my opinion! :) good luck!

Thank you for your help, I thought there was something wrong with what the Dr was telling me. Even when she was telling me to eat more, I never ate carbs...thankfully! I was having a difficult time eating 4 oz of solid Protein and 4 oz of fruit or veggies...so I felt as though I was FORCING it down. From what you say, you aren't hungry very often even though there is quite a bit of time between your meals...I usually eat breakfast at 6 and am starving by 8 or 9...perhaps I need an adjustment:-( I'm leary of returning to this physician because of all the different things she's told me that aren't correct. The other issue is that there aren't any other bariatric surgeons in this area. I contacted me previous Dr last week and haven't heard anything...What are your thoughts about an adjustment? I used to only eat 3 meals a day with a Protein shake and wouldn't be hungry...not now however.

Thanks again for your help!

I don't neccesarily have an answer for you but I can tell you what my doctor recommends. 3 oz solid protein at 3 meals a day; plus veggies (limit carbs like bread white potatoes and rice). He recommends against Snacks as it could lead to ritualistic eating (I always have a snack at 3:00 so I must have one whether I'm hungry or not.) I do have a 160 cal. 30 g Protein Shake preworkout at 6:00 but I have lunch at 12 and don't get dinner until 8:30 or later.

unless there is something in your labs to suggest that you are nutrient deficient, then i would suggest that you go back to what works for you. as we get closer to our goal, the weight will be harder to lose. I would suggest that you look at shaking up your exercise routine too.

if you are getting hungry within 2 hours or less of your last meal, perhaps it is time for a fill.

as a nurse you know that you sometimes have to go toe to toe with the docs. you advocate for your patients, now advocate for yourself!

What kinds of food are you eating. Are you eating things that are high in fat. Are u drinking enough Water and exercising. I had problems with my band also. I had to remove some of the solution because it was too tight and I often went to the bathroom to barf. I gained weight after the nurse removed the solution. I had more food and then gained weight. I have gained I ton of weight. I suggest to keep to a diet that works. High Protein and low fat diets. My doctors and nurses told me not to snack between meals. It is very difficult to do this. I will try to quit snacking and I will drink more water than usual. I hope this will help me with the weight.

I just wanted to update anyone who replied to this post. After many episodes of telling the dietician and PA that I was so hungry I could eat my hand off my arm, they finally listened and checked it out. Turns out, I have a leak somewhere in my system...they think it is in the port. I was supposed to have 7cc in my band, there was only 1cc in!!! They refilled my band with 5 and in less than 24 hours, half was gone. I am glad that I have found out the reason why I was working my tail off and gaining, but I am upset that it has taken this long to find out why...meanwhile I've gained 20 pounds and am eager to get it back off...I am very frustrated that I pretty much had to beg them to do anything to figure out what was wrong and I know I annoyed the pee out of them, but they weren't listening to me when I told them I know my body! I've had this for almost 2 years now, I know when something is not right. Any suggestions for keeping any more weight from accumulating before 11/7? I already workout 5-7 days per week (training for a half marathon, spinning, etc).

Thanks everyone!