Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Drinks Stage 1

Many start Stage 1 with Protein Drinks ready for post surgery. Some good, some bad, some cheap, some pricey. Let's share info on Protein drinks to help us all.

When you post about a Protein Drink and/or mix........Please include -

1) Brand Name and flavor

2) Size tub and price

3) Where you bought and if available online, please include the website.

4) Nutrition Info - amount of Protein grams per scoop, Calories, net Carbs

5) How you used the mix to make your drink/shake

Thank you!

Many start Stage 1 with Protein drinks ready for post surgery. Some good, some bad, some cheap, some pricey. Let's share info on Protein drinks to help us all

Give your input on Protein Drinks and Mixes. What you found out for you, where to buy, prices, taste....

Before surgery I bought Atkins ready made drinks - 12 pack at Sam's Club for $15 vanilla, chocolate - 15g Protein, 150 calories, 11oz - loved the vanilla

Bought EAS ready made at Walmart - similar and a little thinner than Atkins. Also bought Isopure bottles of Grape, strawberry and Apple Melon - only didn't like the strawberry

I bought several for post op from www.supplementwarehouse.com - they were ok on the shipping but didn't have the unflavored in stock and held the whole shipment. I got the package 1 day before surgery!! I will reordered from them but not the unflavored.

Atkins - Boxed ready mix drinks - Vanilla & chocolate at Sam's Club 15g Protein per box, 160 calories - Great for a quick fix especially for first week post op. Bought the Strawberry but haven't tried it yet

Syntrax Nector - Fuzzy Navel - $28.25 for 2 lb tub - 24g per scoop, 90 calories - This tastes like orange peach - I like to add 2 scoops to 16oz Water

Syntrax nectar Chocolate Truffle - $28.25 for 2lb tub - 24g per scoop, 100 calories - Mixed in Water tastes watery but I started mix with 16oz Fat Free Milk with 2 scoops and it is delicious!

Syntrax Nector Unflavored Medical - $14.36 for 1 lb tub - 10g per scoop, 40 calories - add in chicken brother, mix first in cold Soup and warm up slowly!!!

Designer whey Blue Blueberry - $9.29 for 10oz tub - 6g per scoop, 40 calories, 1 net Carb - This is absolutely delicious but I didn't realize this was so low in Protein - so I added unflavored 2 scoops and it added 20g Protein to the 6 for a total of 26g.

Isopure - Apple Melon $40.56 for 3lb tub - 32g per scoop, 110 Calories - Bought at The Vitamin Shoppe close to me. Tried 1st time today - not as good as the ready made bottle drinks but will experiment to find a better taste.

I am not adding any extra stuff to my drinks - (no peanut butter) Just trying to follow a strict guideline for maximum weight loss.

For me I plan to do the Chocolate Truffle with Milk every morning for a "Breakfast" then a flavored drink the afternoon.

Hope this helps someone!!

Wow!!! thx a mill... This was very helpful!!! biggrin.gif

Give your input on Protein drinks and Mixes. What you found out for you, where to buy, prices, taste....

Before surgery I bought Atkins ready made drinks - 12 pack at Sam's Club for $15 Vanilla, chocolate - 15g Protein, 150 calories, 11oz - loved the Vanilla

Bought EAS ready made at Walmart - similar and a little thinner than Atkins. Also bought Isopure bottles of Grape, strawberry and Apple Melon - only didn't like the strawberry

I bought several for post op from www.supplementwarehouse.com - they were ok on the shipping but didn't have the unflavored in stock and held the whole shipment. I got the package 1 day before surgery!! I will reordered from them but not the unflavored.

Atkins - Boxed ready mix drinks - Vanilla & chocolate at Sam's Club 15g Protein per box, 160 calories - Great for a quick fix especially for first week post op. Bought the Strawberry but haven't tried it yet

Syntrax Nector - Fuzzy Navel - $28.25 for 2 lb tub - 24g per scoop, 90 calories - This tastes like orange peach - I like to add 2 scoops to 16oz Water

Syntrax nectar Chocolate Truffle - $28.25 for 2lb tub - 24g per scoop, 100 calories - Mixed in Water tastes watery but I started mix with 16oz Fat Free Milk with 2 scoops and it is delicious!

Syntrax Nector Unflavored Medical - $14.36 for 1 lb tub - 10g per scoop, 40 calories - add in chicken brother, mix first in cold Soup and warm up slowly!!!

Designer whey Blue Blueberry - $9.29 for 10oz tub - 6g per scoop, 40 calories, 1 net Carb - This is absolutely delicious but I didn't realize this was so low in Protein - so I added unflavored 2 scoops and it added 20g Protein to the 6 for a total of 26g.

Isopure - Apple Melon $40.56 for 3lb tub - 32g per scoop, 110 Calories - Bought at The Vitamin Shoppe close to me. Tried 1st time today - not as good as the ready made bottle drinks but will experiment to find a better taste.

I am not adding any extra stuff to my drinks - (no peanut butter) Just trying to follow a strict guideline for maximum weight loss.

For me I plan to do the Chocolate Truffle with Milk every morning for a "Breakfast" then a flavored drink the afternoon.

Hope this helps someone!!

the best one i found out there was visalus protien drinks. tthere is one recipe that is a dead ringer for a carmel frapachino from starbucks.

Many start Stage 1 with Protein drinks ready for post surgery. Some good, some bad, some cheap, some pricey. Let's share info on Protein drinks to help us all

i dont understand why they have you diet b4 surgery

I'm not a fan of the powders. I buy the cans of Pure Protein they come in chocolate, vanilla (don't like this one), Cookies n' creme and strawberry. They have 23grams of protein, 1.5grams of fat, 6 carbs and 1gram of sugar. . I get them at Target, they're about $7-$9 (depending on store location) for a case of 4, they're a little pricey but they're convient, they also have them at Vitamin Shoppe. I have them for Breakfast everyday. I either drink them straight from the can or put them in the blender with ice and frozen fruit, sometimes I add milk or nonfat low sugar ice cream, they're pretty yummy.

Out of Breath - Doctors usually like to see a person loose 10% body weight before surgery. Also, the pre-surgery diet gets the body ready for the lap band, reduces the size of the liver when is very important during surgery because most of us have an enlarged liver. The more you do to prepare, the more you are ready for post surgery.

Victoria - What is the name brand of the Protein cans? Not sure if it the same ones but the dietitian told us not to use the Protein Shots because it is crummy Protein. Not sure if they are the same as what you use. I would be interested in knowing and looking it up.

I think the sugar free pudding is a great idea. Since I'm still in Stage 1 - protein drinks only I haven't started adding puddings yet.

I just made my first homemade Protein shake for a late lunch and it is so much better than others I have drunk.

1/2 cup Fat Free Milk (I use Lactaid)

1 small very ripe banana

Dash of sugar free Vanilla Syrup

1 scoop unjury unflavored Protein powder

3 packs of Splenda

4 cubes of ice

227 Calories

32 Carbs

0 Fat

25 grams of Protein

I have been using Jay Robb whey Protein Powder. 190 calories with my soymilk; 32 mg Protein, carbs 5mg. It tastes good and I feel as though I am actually getting something healthy, plus alot of protein!

MST can you give me more details on the one you mentioned?

I have been using Jay Robb whey Protein powder. 190 calories with my soymilk; 32 mg Protein, carbs 5mg. It tastes good and I feel as though I am actually getting something healthy, plus alot of protein!

Can you tell us where you bought this Jay Robb Protein Powder plus the price and size of the tub? I like that one scoop is 32g

I just made my first homemade Protein shake for a late lunch and it is so much better than others I have drunk.

1/2 cup Fat Free Milk (I use Lactaid)

1 small very ripe banana

Dash of sugar free vanilla Syrup

1 scoop powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored Protein powder

3 packs of Splenda

4 cubes of ice

227 Calories

32 Carbs

0 Fat

25 grams of Protein

Hi Bromo, I think that should be tasty because it has 32 Carbs in one serving. In my Nutrition Class at my doctors they taught to stay away from sugars and carbs as much as possible and it will help loose weight faster.....especially during the first 6 weeks. Then if I want to add a banana only add 1/3 banana because they are one of the sweetest fruits. A low carb diet usually limits carbs to 20 per day. Just curious.

I know you got banded on the 14th, do they already have you off liquids only and on pureed? I can start pureed until next Wednesday after my 2 week post op appt.

I love the unjury Protein shakes. The chicken Soup flavor WOW! You can make it a little thicker for a gravy after surgery. I am starting day 2 of my pre-op diet and am allowed 2 shakes a day and am doing chocolate splendor and strawberry sorbet.

I am paying $22 per container and each container has 17 servings. So I really don't think it's to bad.

I bought sample sizes of quite a few! I go to a nutrition shop close to my doctors office and the people there are great :rolleyes:

I tried Syntrax nectar in the peach flavor and mixed it with 8oz of water--Terrible. It didn't mix well and had a very strong flavor. My doctor only wants 100 % pure whey Protein isolate-no blends or from concentrated. It limits a lot and I found them to be more expensive.

I am trying Dymatize ISO-100 in Gourmet berry today for lunch, I will let you know how it is

Erika