Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Texasbandit, so very sorry that you and your husband are having such a hard time medically. Best thoughts and wishes coming to you.

I think many of us are struggling during this time. My weight loss is still happening but has slowed due to not being as strict as I was in the beginning. I am trying to decide if this is the route I want to go, slow but less diet oriented, or back to watching everything I eat with a more rapid loss. Maybe after the holidays are over and the new year begins I can motivate to get back to the faster weight loss. Right now I am just glad to still be losing and still being able to enjoy myself and family.

Dalex -- the psychologist I visited is associated with the bariatric group at Bellevue Hospital in NYC where I had my surgery. Why don't you ask your surgeon/nutritionist to recommend someone. She also leads the support groups. Another alternative might be to see if there is a support group at your group.

A note to everyone: I see that lots of people on our thread seem to hit a a plateau recently. I certainly have. m not gaining, but I'm not loosing at the moment. Makes me think this is "normal stage" Most of us lost a lot of weight right after surgery, but now it is slowing down. Perhaps our bodies need to adjust to our lower weight, and it will pick up again at some point, or just level off to a slower, but steady rate. Again, I know I am always saying this, but perhaps a slower, but steady loss will allow our bodies to adjust quicker.

Remember, a lot of us (ME!) did this to be healthier, not just to see quick changes on the scale which can be motivating, but probably not sustainable. Right now I am taking comfort in seeing how far I've come, not how fast -- and the reaction of friends that haven't seen me in a while (" Wow, you look GREAT!" YES I DO! Repeat after me: YES I DO!-- ))

Lisa on a beautiful, but slightly chilly night in NYC (and watching the NYCBallet Nutcracker on PBS)

Hello everyone

I thought I am the only one who is cheating again and is not loosing weight as a snowman in April.

Banded 9/19/11, from highest lost 50 lbs, from surgery - 30.

First fill 10/22/11, 5 cc in 14 cc band.

Actually did not feel restriction at all neither after the surgery, not after the 1-st fill. Just couple of mild episodes right after the fill.

I am a big girl,and 50 lbs is only 30% of the weight I have to loose. Meanwhile- all has stopped, I am plus-minus 2-3 lbs for almost a month.

Though I eat 1/3 of what I used to eat, I started cheating- sweets, bread, meat.< /p>

I have feel like band related motivation is over.

I thought I should have the second fill somewhat in November, but the doctor could not accomodate me until 12/22/11, so I am on my own.

Is anyone experiencing something similar ?

NYC Girl, thank you for the idea with psychologist. I have forgotten about this option, but for me may be very expensive thing- I have HIP, and psycologists on the panel are good but not quite experienced with weight loss.

Any advice ?

It isn't so much cheating with me....but learning as I go. I was on a steady wt loss of 2 lbs per week but once I reached week 8 and could eat "regular" food again (meats, veggies, etc.) I began eating more carbs than before. I also started dating and my weekends (which had been my intense work out days at the gym) were now filled with car rides and eating out. I gained 5 lbs!!!! I had a serious talk with the guy and explained this couldn't interfere with my wt loss plan. He has lost 90 lbs without surgery and understands completely. He began taking walks with me. I went back to strictly monitoring the Protein intake and I lost the 5 lbs again. I have my 2nd fill this Friday and I fear I'll get lectured about not having more weight loss....but I have learned an important lesson and will move forward. To have lost 5 lbs this week shows me it is still possible...if I just stay diligent.

Maybe it's cause it's the holidays? I've been trying to work out but ive been so tired, but I've been losing consistantly. I've been working hard though. I log in everything I eat and work out at least 5 days a week. I've lost almost 50lbs but I've got another 50 to go.

I hit a plateau again--very frustrating!! I know that weight is coming off, but I don't understand why all of a sudden it stops. Grrrrr My portions had grown because I stopped measuring, but thats when the most weight came off. Very confusing

Well I have gotten back on track but now this plateau.

Had my 2nd fill 12/16/2011. I now have 7 cc's in an 11 cc band. Still no sliming episodes. Don't go back to the surgeon for 2 months. Stalled on the weight loss but understand the reason is that I started eating carbs and backed off the exercise. Brush myself off and get back on the program.

I feel the same.. today i havent been able to keep anything down, i get stuck alot and have to throw it up. I can eat some foods fine and others are difficult. i cant keep down rice, beef or pork and have to wait a while after i eat to drink, if not it get stuck. Its so irritating. Is this common for others?

Question fellow banders.....

I am having a strange problem....

Some meals I eat and have absolutely no problem. Then, out of the blue, the next day I may nearly throw up after just a few bites. I'm chewing well and following the rules. Is anyone else having a problem like this? I am not understanding why some meals I can eat and others not.

Greetings everyone! I sure hope you made it through the holidays ok. I really struggled the month of December. Got my third fill last week and WOW, it has really made a difference. I've also been walking a lot more, so the exercise level is getting to where I want it. I noticed something last night while on my evening walk....my thighs don't rub anymore!! It used to seem like my legs only moved from the knees down because my thighs were so large. Now my whole legs are moving! Woohoo!!

Sharilo,

Congrats on the increased walking and thinner thighs. I noticed at the gym today that I had increased in speed and elevation on the treadmill. My one knee also doesn't hurt since I lost the weight which allows me to move more. Slowly and steadily we are getting there!

Long time no see. Just checking in. I was terrible over the holidays and only lost 2 pounds from Thanksgiving until the first of the year. Am back on track and am almost at the 50 pound mark. I see the dr. on Feb 7 and think I am going to get my first fill. All of my loss has been to changing of habits and none with the help of the band, so I want to get to my sweet spot and see this thing in action. Hope everyone is doing well.

Long time no see. Just checking in. I was terrible over the holidays and only lost 2 pounds from Thanksgiving until the first of the year. Am back on track and am almost at the 50 pound mark. I see the dr. on Feb 7 and think I am going to get my first fill. All of my loss has been to changing of habits and none with the help of the band, so I want to get to my sweet spot and see this thing in action. Hope everyone is doing well.

How awesome you have lost so much without a fill!! The holidays were a struggle for me also. I ate so much more than I should have. The Cookies went down way too easily! You'll really notice a difference when you get your fill. Good luck and congrats again on the fantastic loss!

Hi All - I haven't been here for a while thanks to the holidays, and catching up afterwards! I've been struggling with choices, and I am starving all the time. My surgeon will only give me 1cc per month - and he says he thinks I'm getting close to the green zone. I tell him that so far I don't feel anything at all - I've only had 1 stuck episode and it was on a raw carrot, because I don't even have to chew my food welll. I'm at 3cc in a 14cc band - and I go for another fill tomorrow. I'm losing weight because I am making the right choices and I am exercising - no help from the band. I'm not giving up - but I'm desperate to get some help from this band! I don't think I'll be able to keep this up without some help soon!

Another concern is the cost for the fill. They told me insurance doesn't cover fills - so I have to pay for them on my own. The first two were included in the surgery, but I was billed $400 for the last fill + $200 for the appt. If I have to do this 10 more times - I won't have to worry about eating too much, as I won't be able to afford food! I'm hoping that even though I have to pay for fills, that insurance will bring the price way down. Anyone got any experience with this? Any advice on how I can get the surgeon to give me a bigger fill?

Wow I am so sorry to hear that! I have not had any problems like that. I got my first fill a month after surgery. Obviously eating right and working out help but if I could rely on that alone I would not have needed the surgery so I don't quiet understand the docs that make you wait so long for a fill. My surgeon (who also is a lap band pt himself!) has a great set up where we can come in as often as needed for a fill or deflate. All visits are covered for the first year. After that it is about $200 a visit. But after a year hopefully you are at the green zone. They have no set amount for a fill because everyone is different. I have gotten as little as 0.3 cc! They have you drink some barium and look at the flow and then I would hang out and have to drink Water. I was able to give them feedback on how the band felt and such. If it turned out to be to tight I would get adjusted either right then or could come back in a few days. Fortunately I only had to do this once. Now the bad part is that I have moved to Denver so I lost my 1 year of free fills etc. But I am in my green zone so I am not to worried about it at this time. Not sure how you can fix your situation but for anyone else starting their journey I would strongly recommend making sure that fills are included for a period of time not just a number of fills. Everyone is different and it is hard to gage the need otherwise. But @pugs you seem to be doing great! Keep it up!!!

Hi y'all!! I'm checking in too. I know some of you have read my blogs and know my hubby has been in the hospital for 2 months now. I've been so depressed lately but my weight loss continues and I lose about 8-10 lbs per months. I haven't been able to work out in 2 weeks due to my crazy schedule but I'm getting back in it this week. My diet is still low calorie, low carb and I made out like a champ during the holidays!! Good luck everyone.

Hiya All!

I'm just checking in as well!

I'm still loosing slowly, between a pound and a pound and a half a week, some weeks more, some less! My doctor is thrilled and says a slow, steady weight loss is more likely to be sustained. And as I have said before, my plan is to do this only once. I've had my third fill, and the restriction is really kicking in.

I am now under 180 pounds, and that means over 45 pounds less than I weighed last year at this time! HOORAY! I've been circling around this milestone for a while now, so I promised myself that I would get a new bag when I finally got there. So I'm taking myself off to my favorite handbag store this weekend!t I do have a handbag fetish!

Despite all this, I'm still still struggling with perceived hunger. The band helps me moderate what I eat at one sitting, but I'm generally hungry two hours later. I know this isn't real hunger, so I'm trying what the Bariatric Psychologist at my center calls "Mindful Eating". I tell myself that if I'm still hungry in 30 minutes, I can have something more to eat. If not, I won't. Usually about 50% of the time, I'm able to avoid in-between meal snacking. I'm working on the other 50%, not to be perfect, just better.

BTW, my New Year's resolution is to be kinder to my self! No more expecting perfection and putting myself down in what I say. Until I started paying attention, I didn't realize how often I put myself down subtly, and not so subtly. It's a process!

My next goal: below 30 BMI. This may take a while! Must come up with a good reward for that one! Any suggestions? Just remember, I'm currently unemployed, so no high ticket items like a new house, or car!!!!!

Lisa in a Giants crazy NYC! (Go Big Blue!)

Edited by NYC Girl