Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded on 9/19 and had my first fill today....not too bad. There was some discomfort while the doctor poked around with his finger locating the port, but really the shot didn't hurt. I'm really looking forward to more restriction. Did anyone else experience discomfort or pain during their first or subsequent fills?

Hmm, i was banded on the 19th too and my doc doesn't give the first fill until 6 wks after surgery. Wish it was earlier.....

Are you feeling any restriction? How long do you have to be on liquids?

G-D, this itching is driving me CRAZY!!!!!!!!!1

Oh really? Yeah I'm glad he does give fills at 4 weeks. I have to be on liquids for the rest of the evening (appt was 2:25). I do feel restriction already. I had some creamy potato Soup for dinner and I could tell a difference right away-pressure feeling in my chest. Not nauseous or vomiting just pressure. I was full at almost a cup of Soup.

Good luck with you. :)

Hmm, i was banded on the 19th too and my doc doesn't give the first fill until 6 wks after surgery. Wish it was earlier.....

Are you feeling any restriction? How long do you have to be on liquids?

Had my surgery on 9-30 getting my fill this coming wed!

Woo Hoo!! so that's at about 3 1/2 weeks post Op!

I've been eating solids successfully for about a week and a half now (with Dr's Approval!)

With the liquid diet i was losing about 1-1 1/2 pounds a day,

but since I've been eating, I've gained 5 back, and now its slowly going back down.

I'm directing this questions to the ladies...

Has you 'time of the month' gotten screwy?

I got it 2 days post Op, then a week after and now its on two days, off one then back on.

I'm thinking its because my hormones are so screwy and my body is reacting to the weight loss/ exercise/ diet

but i thought i'd ask.

Also wondering how long after surgery i have to wait to go swimming?

in a pool? the Ocean?

Has any one had issues with Dumping??

Went to dinner Sat, and had to run to the restroom after

1 Cup of pilaf rice and veggies as well as 1c of salad with dressing.

(At a restaurant )

Very embarrassing!

I hope everyone has a restful night tonight!

Lisa,

Would you kindly share your recipe for the mushroom barley Soup. Sounds delicious! Thanks!

Peg

Easy, pezzy!

Lisa's Jewish Mushroom & Barley Soup (Based on Zingerman's Classic Mushroom Barley Soup)

Saute onion (one large, sliced), carrots (2 chopped small cubes), celery (2, chopped small cubes), garlic (as much as you want), and 1 lb mushroom (sliced) and 1/4 cup parsley (or even dill) (1 lb, sliced) in butter (2 tbls -- or you can use oil), and cook for about 5 minutes until veggies are soft, but not burned.

Lower heat and stir in 1 tbsp flour, mixing every 30 seconds or so for about 5 minutes until thickened.

Heat up 2 qts broth (beef, chicken, veggie or even water), and add to mushroom/veggie mixture a ladle at a time. Sir to incorporate.

Bring to boil and add 1 cup barley and season with salt and pepper.

Reduce to simmer, cover and cook for an hour or so -- stirring occasionally -- until thick.

Add more parsley or dill, and season to taste with salt, pepper.

PORTION INTO 1/2 - 1 CUP PORTIONS (so we don't eat too much) and freeze.

Vary the mushrooms, broth, veggies as you wish!!!

Enjoy,

Lisa in NYC

Thank you so much for the recipe. It sounds yummy

Has anyone else had dry heaves in the morning at all? About once a week when I wake up my stomach starts rolling as soon as I get up and no matter how hard I try, the dry heaves come. I never had this problem before banding so I am thinking it possibly has something to do with it. I see my doctor on Nov 8 and will ask about it if it continues, but I was just curious if this was happening to anyone else. I will eat liquids only today as I do each time this has happened just to be on the safe side.

@bromo

I would probably call the surgeons office. I have not had this problem. I would be concerned a out the band moving if the exertion was major.

Thank you so much for the recipe. It sounds yummy

My pleasure! I made the mistake of giving some to my neighbor and within 12 hours, two more of my friends showed up asking for some, as D told them it was DELICIOUS!!!! Now I have to go to costco for more mushrooms to make some more for me. unsure.gif

But, as always, I'm thrilled that people like my cooking!

Lisa (soupless in NYC!!!!)

Easy, pezzy!

Lisa's Jewish Mushroom & Barley Soup (Based on Zingerman's Classic Mushroom Barley Soup

Saute onion (one large, sliced), carrots (2 chopped small cubes), celery (2, chopped small cubes), garlic (as much as you want), and 1 lb mushroom (sliced) and 1/4 cup parsley (or even dill) (1 lb, sliced) in butter (2 tbls -- or you can use oil), and cook for about 5 minutes until veggies are soft, but not burned.

Lower heat and stir in 1 tbsp flour, mixing every 30 seconds or so for about 5 minutes until thickened.

Heat up 2 qts broth (beef, chicken, veggie or even water), and add to mushroom/veggie mixture a ladle at a time. Sir to incorporate.

Bring to boil and add 1 cup barley and season with salt and pepper.

Reduce to simmer, cover and cook for an hour or so -- stirring occasionally -- until thick.

Add more parsley or dill, and season to taste with salt, pepper.

PORTION INTO 1/2 - 1 CUP PORTIONS (so we don't eat too much) and freeze.

Vary the mushrooms, broth, veggies as you wish!!!

Enjoy,

Lisa in NYC

Thanks, Lisa. Sounds scrumptious! Can't wait to try it! Peg

@bromo

I would probably call the surgeons office. I have not had this problem. I would be concerned a out the band moving if the exertion was major.

Becky, thanks for your reply. Not really major exertion and I get it under control pretty quickly, the actual heaving, just have an unsettled stomach for a bit. I don't think it is enough to disturb the band, since it is not full blown throwing up. And my band is stiched in with the plication. If I had violent contractions, believe me I would be there when the office door opened!!

I am so excited, I have my first fill today :) I am anxious to get on the scale there. Yesterday am my scale said 191. I went to the nutritionist yesterday (in the same office as my surgeon) and their scale said 184. My scale at home is brand new and I asked them if they were sure because 7 pounds off is a big difference. She asked one of the nurses to get on it to see if it is right and she said it was (of course, that is probably the scale she uses all the time, lol) . Okay so I think mine is broken. I checked on my other scale and it says the same thing as my new one and my hubby checked on his at work and it was the same as our new one. So I guess it is safe to assume my drs. scale is broken. I am just hoping that when I go back today it doesn't say I gained 7 pounds, haha. We shall see!

Tan_ya- My period has been way weird. I started the day before surgery (Sept. 11th) and it was about 4 days long which is normal. I haven't had it sense so I am a little over 2 weeks late! I am def. NOT pregnant, my tubes have been tied and my husband had a vasectomy so NO pregnancy (having a set of twins after 2 single babies we are all good :) I am really bloated and have cramps so we'll see....

You are sooo lucky to have not had any episodes. I was at the Nutritionists yesterday and they postponed my fill ( for 11/8 ) because they said I have to go 2 weeks without an episode before they will tighten me. I must be too tight already and I have never had a fill just plenty of restriction. I don't get it ! I chew everything into mush I eat very slow and can still at times have a problem My Nutri. thinks it must be dry food that does it and said to dip into sauces and FF gravy before eating meat. She said restriction now is good the fewer fills the better. I'm really not hungry much in between but had hoped a fill would help me lose faster.

So sorry that episode happened to you! Am very surprised it happened with no fill!! I've been able to eat most anything, i know i'm not chewing as well as i should, been swallowing larger amounts than i should, and i've not had any episodes. I've been taking it for granted that i have no fill but i'm so glad you shared your experience because it forces me to pay more attention and not take things for granted.

What your Nut said makes lots of sense! If you're already feeling restriction then a fill shouldn't be necessary. I've already had Pasta, veg sushi, meatballs, bread, even whole wheat pita with sauce and cheese on top (my healthier version of pizza). I don't get much restriction or fullness...........i've already gained 4 lbs in 2 weeks since being able to have more food choices. 2 more weeks left before my first fill.