Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on Sept 15 and I lost 11 lbs before surgery and 14 lbs. since. I was wondering what you are doing to lose so fast. I haven't been able to lose anymore weight for over a week and I am getting frustrated. Are you counting calories or carbs? I am just counting calories. I can't live on meat and veggies only. I try to walk everyday but there are days when I don't have time.

Thanks,

Lisa

I am very similar to you -- have lost 14 lbs in the 6 weeks since surgery -- that's over 2 lbs a week!!! The rest of the weight loss was prior to surgery and the pre-op liquid diet. I believe that a slow and steady loss will be more likely to be kept off, so I'm taking my time. I actually don't count anything. Just try and eat better food (hummus, home made Soups, veggies, eggs, tuna salad with low fat mayo), eat less at each meal, and DON'T snack. I have also been trying to increase my Water in-take, and walk most mornings -- but not all.

Try not to have unrealistic expectations. I have to believe that it will be very difficult to keep up a diet of 600-800 calories per day over the long term.

Lisa

PS: I've gone through some weeks when I didn't loose, or lost only .6 lbs, but that's normal, according to both my doctor and the nutritionist.

I am doing fine on the 600-800 calories a day. I don't feel deprived at all, I just try to eat as healthy as I can, as that is my main goal, to reclaim my health. I treat myself to things I like such as I found the Starbucks Frappaccino drinks in a Light version yesterday. So for Breakfast I had one with a half scoop of Unjury Protein Powder and it was about the same as the shake I have most mornings. I have never been a breakfast person and so the shakes are pretty much my go to thing to get some Protein in first thing in the morning. The taste of the Mocha Frappaccino made me happy happy. For lunch I had a chicken wrap with light Miracle whip and brown mustard, lettuce and mild banana peppers. It makes a pretty large wrap and I am full and it tastes good. For dinner tonight I am either planning on grilled salmon with a veggie of choice or a serving of noodleless lasagna, which I can hardly hold a full serving of it, even though it is just about a cup and a half. I will still have a snack of some Oikos greek yogurt with honey or a sugar free fudgecicle. I don't feel deprived at all eating that for the day and I know I am losing weight and getting healthier for doing so. When I start getting more intense on the exercise by joining the Y, I will increase my calories to make up for some of them used with the exercise and when i reach goal I will increase them again to maintain. Each of our journeys are different and some take my road and others take another. All of us have the same goal to be healthier and slimmer. My road is working for me and I am happy with it.

Hey all! I'm so happy to hear many of you are doing so well!

I was banded on the 19th and don't have my first fill till Nov 7th. Frankly, it could not come fast enough cuz i'm ready.

Even though i can get most foods down with no problems, i am trying really hard to listen to my stomach and stop when eating i'm feeling satisfied. I'm also trying very hard to eat slowly and concentrate on my bites. I gained 2 lbs last week and will probably see a gain tomorrow when i weigh myself (i do it every sunday) but am not discouraged because i know i'm on the road to success and it will take some time to get back on the losing track!

Hope you all had a great weekend!!!

Ugh. So tired. Exactly 1 month post op. We went to an amusement park today. We prolly walked 3 miles lol. I didnt do any rides buy did enjoy the shows. I was the official babysitter so the grown ups could all go on yhe big rides. Haha

We had a picnic. I had a sliming episode. I dont know if i was truly stuck or what. It was a raw baby carrot. First bite. Bam. Mid chest I felt pain. Slime started and i paniced. Sister in law was near me and she doesnt know i am banded. I was sitting on the ground so i decided to stand up. I walked for a bit and then told dh the carrot was stuck. I went to the car (we were having a picnic under a tree in the parking lot) with a paper towel and walked real slow so it would take longer. I slimed in the paper towel a little. After a few minutes I felt better. I went back to the group but was too scared to eat. The carrot went down.

Soooo dont think I will be eating raw carrots anytime soon. I know i did chew well. I am certain that caused it. I just never expected to have this happen with no fill. Other than that the day was great. It was so much easier not lugging an extra 35 pounds with me!

J

Banded 9/22

Ugh. So tired. Exactly 1 month post op. We went to an amusement park today. We prolly walked 3 miles lol. I didnt do any rides buy did enjoy the shows. I was the official babysitter so the grown ups could all go on yhe big rides. Haha

We had a picnic. I had a sliming episode. I dont know if i was truly stuck or what. It was a raw baby carrot. First bite. Bam. Mid chest I felt pain. Slime started and i paniced. Sister in law was near me and she doesnt know i am banded. I was sitting on the ground so i decided to stand up. I walked for a bit and then told dh the carrot was stuck. I went to the car (we were having a picnic under a tree in the parking lot) with a paper towel and walked real slow so it would take longer. I slimed in the paper towel a little. After a few minutes I felt better. I went back to the group but was too scared to eat. The carrot went down.

Soooo dont think I will be eating raw carrots anytime soon. I know i did chew well. I am certain that caused it. I just never expected to have this happen with no fill. Other than that the day was great. It was so much easier not lugging an extra 35 pounds with me!

J

Banded 9/22

Sorry that happened to you! I know it is probably inevitable but I hope it never does happen to me, lol. Isn't it amazing how much better you feel with some of the weight gone. I have lost 29 lbs and still have 61 to go but when I was thinking how much better my knees feel it is awesome. It is pretty much the equilivant of carrying around 6 5lb bags of potatoes and that is a lot of weight not hitching a ride on my body :)

Bromo--i feel exactly the same way you do regarding calories. I log everything on myfitnesspal and never hit my 1200 calories. It's not something I intentionally do buy I eat when I'm hungry, eat the portions I can and make good food choices. 1/2 c of food anf i'm full. I usually don't snack. I know that my body is only taking in such a small amount of food that I can't afford to fill it with crap. I do not feel deprived. I am not going to eat a peice of cake at every darn event I go to. And I don't feel deprived by it. I am trying not to worry about my low calories. I intend to resume my p90x workout once cleared by my dr so i know my appetite will increase. Right now I'm just walking. I am quite sure I won't be living in 600 calories daily forever so i try not to stress abouy it.

J

Banded 9/22

So sorry that episode happened to you! Am very surprised it happened with no fill!! I've been able to eat most anything, i know i'm not chewing as well as i should, been swallowing larger amounts than i should, and i've not had any episodes. I've been taking it for granted that i have no fill but i'm so glad you shared your experience because it forces me to pay more attention and not take things for granted.

Ugh. I feel so blaaaaa today. I was telling DH last night that I felt blah. I think it's bc I have been eating more carbs. Fri night had mexican with chips, sat am had 1/2 of an english muffin, sun am had potatoes and 2 bites of flour tortilla, sun pm had this rice potato and meat dish. I didnt measure my food yesterday but didnt feel i over ate portions just made bad choices. I did log anything on myfitnesspal. Stepped on the scale today and Im up 1/2 pound in 2 days. I know its only 1/2 pound and I am not really stressin it but i am more bummed about the way i physically feel. I have a headache and body aches. I got my flu shot friday so i dunno if thats why i feel icky or what. And today i have a super important meeting at work with a client and it will last several hours and include lunch. Oh joy. I hope this feeling passes. Hope all my fellow sept bandsters have a fabulous week!!

J

Banded 9/22

@pugsx3- lap band support group tonight at 6:30 at CDH. Go to Bariatric in lobby to meet up and be led to conference room in the maze of offices behind the doors. Sorry I didn't get this posted sooner. Come if you can. Nutritional support is third Wed and lap band support is fourth Mon.

Just a quick update for the Sept 2011 bandsters:

I was banded on 9/12 and feel great. All together I've lost over 33 lbs and have finally (!!!!!) gotten into the regular sizes. Bought a new pair of jeans today at costco without trying them on, and the size 18 (short) are loose. I can't believe it. My weight loss has slowed down now that I'm on real food, but it is slow and steady.

My first fill was Wednesday (10/19) and received 4 cc's. The PA said they generally just follow a protocol, so that's what I got. He was pleased with my weight loss to date, and said that with no restriction in the band, the weight loss was due to diet exclusively. I had no problem with the fill, and was told to return to liquid diet for 2 days, or until I felt like I could get solid food down. The second day, I tried some soft food and had no problems. Today I'm pretty much eating what I was before, just much less. Although my hunger seems to be back, I find that if I eat slowly, chew carefully and moderate my intake, I get satisfied with less food. That's exactly what I want. As I keep telling myself, the lap band is a tool, but I must be conscious of what I'm eating.

I saw the nutritionist at Bellevue, and he definitely believes in tough love! After going over some questions I had, when I asked about hunger between meals, he said to try and ignore it. Easier said than done, he said, but I must remember that someone cut into my body to help solve my obesity. When I'm tempted by a (wicked!) donut, try and remember that I was desperate enough (my words, not his) to have surgery (with all it's pain, cost and bother) and do I really want to screw that up! A bit harsh, but like a slap to the head. He also suggested I set a goal of getting to 180 by the end of the year. That's 12 lbs in 10 weeks! Think I can do it???

Have a great week everyone, and remember, if this process of conquering our obesity was easy, we would have done it way, way, way, before now! Let's concentrate on the positive and be kind to ourselves!

Lisa in NYC -- with a pot of mushroom barley Soup simmering on the stove~

Lisa,

Would you kindly share your recipe for the mushroom barley soup. Sounds delicious! Thanks!

Peg

Lisa, your blog is inspirational! And your nutritionist hit the nail on the head! Congrats on your success. I am almost two weeks banded this Wednesday. Eating mushies, tracking Protein, cals and carbs. I don't have my first official meeting with nutritionist till 11/3. My bariatric center ( north of Boston) has a " heart and wellness" center that all bandsters have to go to once a week for 12 weeks starting a few weeks post op. It's nutrition counseling, exercise , Nd meeting with NP. I'm looking forward to starting that. I'm down 20 lbs from my first meeting with surgeon on 8/17, so I can't complain. Just keeping my eye on the prize and my mind focused on what I can eat, not what I can't.

Keep up the good work!

Arlene

Good Morning everyone, I am semi excited for my first fill. I am at the Drs. Right now.

Good luck, Chrissy. Hope your fill goes easy peasy.

I have only been out once to eat since being banded until last night. I took a young couple I love to dinner at O'Charley's and it went great. Luckily I can eat red meat so I ordered filet mignon, medium rare, broccoli and it came with a side salad with lite ranch on the side. I did as I read about here and asked for a to go box before my meal arrived, so immediately upon the meal arriving, I put half of everything in the to go box. I probably won't eat anything out of it but the steak at home, but it worked for only having the right portion on my plate. O'charley's nutrition labels are online so I knew before I went what I would order. And on fitness pal they were all listed, including the salad with the lite ranch and it was so easy to add it for dinner using half a serving. I came in under 1000 calories for the day and was good on Protein, carbs and fat, so I am thoroughly amped to eat out again.

duplicate post

Good Morning everyone, I am semi excited for my first fill. I am at the Drs. Right now.

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing about your experience. I've got 2 more weeks till mine.