Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last minute doubts

:( Ok. I met Dr yesterday for the first time. Surgery less than 48 hours away. Have lost 12 lbs in 12 days. Not hard to do on liquids. But...am really getting nervous. So much info on the internet, good as well as bad. How do you change 50 years of bad eatting? How do you ignor a really bad sweet tooth? I worked in a big county jail and did medical intake on 100's of men who had destroyed their life with drugs and swore if they got out they would NEVER touch drugs again. They would finally get out and then they would be right back in there swearing NEVER AGAIN! I was very judgemental (inside myself, never to them) And I would wonder, why don't you just stop, you don't have to do drugs, you make a choice and you elected to do it again. They I tried dieting again. And I would tell myself Don't eat that. Dont. You don't want it. You dont need it. You said you weren't going to do it. And then I would eat it. And a second and a third. Why do I think this time will be different? Will I end up doing the worng thing again? Why is having this "tool" inside me going to help?

Bc when you do you will feel the ill effects of it and that isn't fun at all- dumping, pain, PB-ing! U will feel when you cant eat anymore! Think of this as a headstart! It will be better in the long run! Lots of people on here say they wish they had done this earlier. The negative stories are the one reaching out for help bc they haven't followed the rules precisely and the success stories seldom get told!

Bc when you do you will feel the ill effects of it and that isn't fun at all- dumping, pain, PB-ing! U will feel when you cant eat anymore! Think of this as a headstart! It will be better in the long run! Lots of people on here say they wish they had done this earlier. The negative stories are the one reaching out for help bc they haven't followed the rules precisely and the success stories seldom get told!

This is a great tool! You still have to be "ready" to use it as a tool and not expect to wake up thin! Our minds do not change just the size of our stomachs. I have lost 64 since May and 70 from my highest weight and I had not been able to wrap my head around dieting and weight loss for many years before my surgery! Best of luck to you and don't forget the excercise I have really enjoyed that part and never thought I would!

I had a band with a gastric plication Monday. So I know I am nol expert here. What I have figured out in this short amount of time is that initially I have absolutely no decisions to make whatsoever. I eat (or rather drink) what they tell me, I sleep, and I walk. Tomorrow I get to experiment with full liquids. I am imagining that as I lose more pounds and feel better and better, that those feelings are going to reinforce themselves. I guess what I am saying is that a day at a time is a great way to look at things.

Best of luck on your surgery!

Thank you all for your encouraging words. Less then 24 hours and I join the land of the banded. Deep breath.......

:( Ok. I met Dr yesterday for the first time. Surgery less than 48 hours away. Have lost 12 lbs in 12 days. Not hard to do on liquids. But...am really getting nervous. So much info on the internet, good as well as bad. How do you change 50 years of bad eatting? How do you ignor a really bad sweet tooth? I worked in a big county jail and did medical intake on 100's of men who had destroyed their life with drugs and swore if they got out they would NEVER touch drugs again. They would finally get out and then they would be right back in there swearing NEVER AGAIN! I was very judgemental (inside myself, never to them) And I would wonder, why don't you just stop, you don't have to do drugs, you make a choice and you elected to do it again. They I tried dieting again. And I would tell myself Don't eat that. Dont. You don't want it. You dont need it. You said you weren't going to do it. And then I would eat it. And a second and a third. Why do I think this time will be different? Will I end up doing the worng thing again? Why is having this "tool" inside me going to help?

Leisha249,

Chances of failure are less because the band keeps you in check with your portions and appetite. Once you reach the green zone with your fills, you will feel satisfied with your meals and will not be hungry for 4-6 hours inbetween meals. That is the results of the "tool" inside of you and the next thing you will deal with is the head hunger meaning we are used to eating a full steak and now you only eat 1/3 of it and your mind tells you that you cheated yourself out of the steak. What I do to keep the mind in check is use a small plate at meal time and only place my portions on the plate and once done my mind doesn't feel deprived.

I was a night eater and now eating my 3 day meals I no longer have the hunger that I had a night. My supper is usually about 6pm and I remain satisfied until the morning. Not to say that I don't get hungry occasionally but a small snack does it for me.

I also had/have a sweet tooth and have been able to easily control this. I use sugar free hot chocolate drinks when a chocolate attacks comes and will also treat myself to a piece of cake at the end of the month. This has been easy for me. You will be fine. The band really does help with all these cravings. Good luck to you and you will be ok. Jake

I think I'm gonna be alright. Wasn't too sure for awhile. The gas pains just about did me in. Pain meds every 4 hours. Not sleeping, walked to get rid of the gas and caused the insisions to hurt. But....better today. And 16 lbs down in 17 days. Have been forse feeding myself fluids. Couldn't tolerate the heavy sweetness of the Protein Drinks. Finallly cut one with some 1% milk and got a few drinks down. Maybe on the mend. Ate a few bites of Soup. More intake today then the last 4 together.