Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October Bandsters!!!

Hi Cindy! I am also a Brooklynite, so I was banded at NYU on 9/19. I was SO afraid before, and now all my fears seem so funny . No pain, no hassle, no gas, no nausea. Now after18 days, I feel as if I did not have anything at all. Just 1 inch pencil line on my belly.

Service there was so good ! . Probably it was some morphine they gave me, but I really did not want to go home.:D

I can't boast that I have lost a lot- only 11,5 lbs after surgery, and 29,5 total. But, honestly, was not even so strict with the diets ( pre-and post-op). I know - it's a sin, but could not stop experimenting.

SO GOOD LUCK TO YOU. I DON'T KNOW HOW THE WEIGHT WILL BE GOING DOWN, BUT SO FAR IT WAS SO EASY !!

I'm being banded at NYU too. Who was your surgeon?

As I mentioned in prev. post- I had it done by Dr. Ren on 9/19, same practice as Dr. Kurian, all- the same.

All goes so smoothly there- don't be nervous. Actually my own nervousness was the worst part of the whole thing.

I was not such a good girl, and was cheating both with pre-op and post-op diets ( just a little bit). I bet everyone does it if he/she can.

You come to NYU, wait, then nurse screens you, then you wait a bit again. After that they take you in the pre-op room, you dress (actually undress) and talk to the surgeon and to anastesiologist. They allow your relatives to be with you toill the moment they take you in the OR, then they can come in the recovery room.

By the way- on the instruction they advise you to take robe , pijamas and sleepers - don't bother. I bought sleepers, expensive beautiful robe and pijamas of Gargantua's size. All was brought back unopened. They give you gowns of really huge size, socks, all you need and bag to carry it. Do not take anything with you- you will not need it- even toothbrush.

You walk to the operating room and climb on that table yourself ( which looked weird to me, as I was shaking as a sheep's tail).

Anastesiologists make sure your sholders and head are in good position. May be that's why I never experienced any neck/ back pains many complain off.

Then they put in the needle, you look at the wall clock.

Next you see- the wall clock, only 1 hour later.

I had little difficulty breathing - it was kind of shallow, and scared me, but they gave me the oxygen, and in few minutes I felt as if my lungs are opening- and the great releif .

That was one of the best moments for me when I realized- I finally did it, all was behind, and NO PAIN !!!

In recovery the nurse watches you constantly, gives you Heparin, painkiller, etc other shots. I am not even sure I needed that painkiller, but it made me feel more comfortable.

I stayed overnight because I had sleep apnea- no problems at all - nice room with the panoramic window facing Hudson River. Never had any gas pains, nausea. You may call it light discomfort, as if you pulled the muscle, or had bruise on your stomach. It was so light, that I can't remember now.

Next morning they discharge you, and you go home. Nothing unpleasant happened at home as well. Had some broth, some propel, did not feel any restriction. The first few days you just don't want to eat... But then...( the story will continue):D

That's it.

GOOD LUCK

Thank you. Somehow your account makes me feel much bettter. I too have sleep apnea, but was told that I would be day only. I wonder if they will keep me overnight afterall.

Hope you're on your way to a quick recovery.

I've had second thoughts. I started crying uncontrollably today and told my husband I changed my mind. I think I was just very, very hungry.

LB4me - I've had similar moments when the reality of everything really hit me. This is not an easy decision and I wish you peace over the next few weeks preparing.

Going to NYU too and scheduled 10/14. Did pre-op testing yesterday and it was quick and easy (blood tests, EKG, chest xray, and did most of the paperwork to minimize anything for the day of process).

My final motivation and why 100% sure this is the right thing for me - I don't want Morbidly Obese in the same sentence as my name EVER again. Good luck!

I introduced myself awhile back. Since then I've been lurking, learning and reading lots. I received my authorization last week. I'm scheduled for Oct 27. I have only told a select few friends. It's odd to me that they are all so quick to tell me horror stories that they've heard or tell me about a friend of a friend of a friend who didn't succeed. I KNOW that if I work this tool properly I WILL be successful.

I'm glad there is a place like this on the web. Good luck to everyone.

Hi, Heather. I'm on the same schedule as you. I will start my pre-op diet on the 13th as well. I am going to use Jay Robb Protein Shakes. What are you using?

This is my first post here, so glad to see October bandsters! I'm scheduled for October 27th...so I expect to get details from the rest of you so I know what to expect! lol BEST of luck to you all on the pre-op diet. I start the 13th, all liquid liver reduction diet, and expect it to be harder than the surgery itself. I have been testing Protein shakes and have some favorites so I hope that helps!

CONGRATS ALL!!!

hello all!

I had my surgery October 4th. Doing ok so far. look forward to comparing notes with everyone!

I had surgery on the 6th and was feeling purdy good yesterday. Today I tried to eat a couple bites of yogurt. I'm not sure it's sitting well. I have been up and walking I was lucky and hardly had any gas pains!

Hello October Bandsters!!!

I went today for my pre-op visit and to see the surgeon one last time before surgery. I'm scheduled for October 14th at 11am. I will be the 3rd surgery of the day. In exactly 7days, I will officially be welcomed into Band-Land. I'm so nervously excited. I started my pre-op 10day Atkins diet on Oct 2nd (this past Sunday) and I have lost 6.2#'s this week already... Yay!!! I really hope and pray for everyone to have a successful surgery and quick recovery. I have really enjoyed reading everyone's stories and glad to see everyone who has been banded is doing pretty well thus far. I cant wait to join you guys next week. Just remember... "We may not be there yet, but we are so much more closer today than we were yesterday!!!" Good Luck everyone!!! biggrin.gif

Hello everyone. Just wanted to let you know that I started a "October Bandsters!!!!" Group for us in post-op.

Hi Q-Tee!

I got your personal note and I have tried to write you back, but for some reason it won't let me. I haven't been able to figure it out. It let's me do others but not you~so sorry. I am so excited for you! Mine is coming right up as well, Oct.13!! I will keep working on trying to fix whatever is wrong with trying to message you. Having a hard time with it.

Update. Surgery Monday, stayed in hospital until Wednesday, my choice, BTW. Spending the rest of this week in nearby motel and will have my follow up Tuesday. Then the ride home should be interesting.

Went to the State Fair yesterday. I walked a lot then rented a motorized scooter just to speed the process of seeing things.

On Monday, just I was being wheeled out of the pre op area and into the surgical area, an the doors opened and I was about even with them, I yelled, "stop" and stuck my hands and feet out like I was changing my mind and tried to keep the gurney from going into the area. People who know me, were not surprised by this little joke on the staff. They were a bit startled, but then started laughing at my antics when they noticed it was my idea of a joke.

I'm getting tired of Soup, but it won't last forever. The VA packed me up with food to eat in my motel so it's pretty idiot proof. My friend with me keeps my little bowl washed up for me. We try not to get too bored by taking a field trip everyday. The upside is that our beds are made for us everyday and the room is cleaned. Not by us. I know, it's a spa vacation. Not really, but it's away from home and the tedium there.

As a tip, I am very grateful for this elastic belly band the staff found for me. I tried to sleep without it last night. I'm much more comfortable with the girdle on, and I'm not that kind of person normally.

Y'all newbies stop worrying. It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I have yet to be hungry. I know that losing weight is not the important thing to work on right now, rather healing is. That's what I'm focusing my energy on today.

I have been craving chocolate something fierce and made a Protein Shake that tasted like reeces Peanut Butter cup. milk, ice, chocolate Protein Powder (unjury) and a tbs of creamy peanut butter. I hit the spot! Thought I would share.

Oct. 13th is my day!! So excited and cant wait....Pre-op diet I'm on is shake for Breakfast and lunch and lite dinner. It's hard to follow but I am trying hard. Cut out all caffeine and only drink Water and water with Crystal Light type of flavor packets. Hardest part of dieting is fitting it into life. Adding light exercises into routine this week. Will work my way up by surgery to doing a lot more exercises. Surgery will so be worth it in the end and I look forward to a LIGHTER ME!! Good Luck EVERYONE!!

Protien shake tip to share with the pre-opt dieters.

I bought some extracts. The kind you use to flavor cakes or candy, not the coffee Syrup. There are places online that sell them in sample sets.

If you add pumpkin and pie spice extract to the Muscle Milk latte flavored powder, it tastes quite similar to my favorite coffee store pumpkin spice latte (and a lot less expensive!). I've also added coconut and banana flavor to vanilla for a tropical shake. It is kinda fun to experiment.