Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October Bandsters!!!

I am from Sandy Springs, Ga.

Today is day three of my preop diet and I actually feel pretty good. Let me tell ya'll that I hate Water..I had an IV drip of coke. I have not had the first headache this time after quitting the coke. I am very surprised!! Wondering if it is the amount of Water I am forcing myself to drink? If you haven't already sign up for myfitnesspal.com. You can enter your foods and shakes to calculate how many calories you are having! Its pretty cool. They also have a app for your phone. I think the biggest help I have had is the Protein shakes I got. They have 30g of Protein in one. They are Premier Nutrition chocolate and taste like a yoohoo so it helps with my sweet tooth also.

Best of luck everyone in the new fam :D

My date has changed! October 12th is the new date, I was kinda nervous to do it on a Friday not knowing if I really could go back on Monday. So I got approved to be off from Wednesday to Monday. Very excited, I won't start my preop diet until the 28th. I am testing some Protein powders as I will have to drink two a day. The one I had this morning wasn't that great, it was vanilla whey protien from GNC, but I bought a sample of chocolate as well so I'll keep you updated on that one. Hope everyone has a great day!!! Oh and btw I live in the DFW area in Texas if anyone lives around here let me know.

Can I just say how much I love this forum! So helpful. I have a meeting with my doctor, dietician & a pre-op class next Wednesday. I will have the "dreaded" weigh in and snap shot. The very next day I will start my pre-op diet. So, it has been very helpful to know kind of what to expect for the pre-op diet. I'm actually quite excited to start the pre-op diet, as I was approved weeks ago and all I have done since is eat, eat, eat. I am very excited and ready to have this done! However, there is a part of me that is a bit nervous since I found out this was a go~ it is like every meal is my "last meal." I will honestly relieved when I can no longer eat this way. I feel out of control. Although I feel this time in between (the anticipation phase) has allowed me to wrap my mind around this surgery and what my life will be like after. Someone mentioned in an earlier post they were doing this as "a gift of love to themselves." What a fantastic way to look at it! I also am doing this as a "gift of love to myself!"

Also, I have a very supportive husband. He is fantastic. However, he is wanting to attend everything next Wednesday with me. I am thankful he is supportive. However, I know he knows I am heavy and am having this surgery, but I have a fear of him knowing my weight, probably silly, at this point, I know. But, I have not shared with anyone my weight for as long as I can remember. Don't get me wrong, I love the support, but part of this is surely personal. I also have 4 children ~ages 13, 11, 6, & 3. I do not want them to know about the surgery either. Just wondering how other people have handled these types of situations?

Thanks!

Eyeonprize- I have been very selective on who knows about my surgery as well and I do not want my kids to know. I dont have a definitive answer as to why, I just don't.

I have a signigicant hiatal hernia. That's what I tell those who need to know, i.e. neighbors, etc. since I'll be gone a week. The members of my support team have been with me this past year cheering every step of the way. I have weaned myself all NSAIDs and have been taking tylenol for my aches and pains. My head hurt for a couple of weeks because of the rebound effect of those meds. This is day 3 of pre op dieting. I felt better yesterday than I do today. We have weather moving through, though, so my joints are achey. Off to get more Water to drink. Cheers!

My doctors office just called and my insurance has approved my surgery. My date is October 25th and I'm very excited and happy.

D

I have only told my husband,mom,brother and two co-workers. Everyone else just thinks I am going on vacation for the week. My kids don't know either~I have not made up my mind if I should tell them or not, they are 9 &5 both girls. I don't want them learning to be self concious(sp)of weight :(

I just downloaded the app on my Iphone for myfitnesspal, and it is amazing! Thank you for telling us about it. You can take your phone and scan a barcode and the nutrition information will pop up, it is the best!!! Thank you again!!

I am from Sandy Springs, Ga.

Today is day three of my preop diet and I actually feel pretty good. Let me tell ya'll that I hate Water..I had an IV drip of coke. I have not had the first headache this time after quitting the coke. I am very surprised!! Wondering if it is the amount of Water I am forcing myself to drink? If you haven't already sign up for myfitnesspal.com. You can enter your foods and shakes to calculate how many calories you are having! Its pretty cool. They also have a app for your phone. I think the biggest help I have had is the Protein shakes I got. They have 30g of Protein in one. They are Premier Nutrition chocolate and taste like a yoohoo so it helps with my sweet tooth also.

Best of luck everyone in the new fam :D

Hello everyone!!!! My name is Cheryl, I'm 24 and my surgery date is October 7th :D. I started my journey in Feb this year and have come so far already! I start my pre-op shakes and bars tomorrow but have done them before (my doctor offers a very low calorie diet using the same products which I did but couldn't stand not having food for so long so I opted out of that after two months lol). I'm very excited for the surgery and glad we finally have a group! I live in Milwaukee WI and hopefully someone is willing and close enough to do gatherings... I think I saw a few of you in the Chicago area and I am totally willing to drive the distance to be with some people who are experiencing the same sorts of things.

I've learned so much information already so I will share when I can and Good Luck to everyone on their journeys!!!!!!!

I have only told my husband,mom,brother and two co-workers. Everyone else just thinks I am going on vacation for the week. My kids don't know either~I have not made up my mind if I should tell them or not, they are 9 &5 both girls. I don't want them learning to be self concious(sp)of weight :(

If you had a Hysterectomy, would you explain it to them ?

Some things are just your business.

It's up to you, but these could be one of those things.

Hey Lady. ;) I'm in Kenosha WI I work in IL and my surgeon is in IL so we should keep in touch. I'm near the Univ od Parkside it's only 25 min from Milwaukee. I'm at work now but constantly checking the forum for information.

If you had a Hysterectomy, would you explain it to them ?

Some things are just your business.

It's up to you, but these could be one of those things.

~Shirly,

I love this response! I have already told my husband, parents, in-laws, and one close friend. That's it. I told them only because I will be counting on them for support. And, these are the people I eat with the most and they surely would notice my different way of eating. I agree that some things are just your business! I'm glad to hear that because I was almost feeling a bit guilty for not sharing all and everything! lol I do not want my children to know because I do not want them having weight issues, etc. and thinking this is just acceptable. This is/was a last resort for me. I just want to be healthy for them!

~Shirly,

I love this response! I have already told my husband, parents, in-laws, and one close friend. That's it. I told them only because I will be counting on them for support. And, these are the people I eat with the most and they surely would notice my different way of eating. I agree that some things are just your business! I'm glad to hear that because I was almost feeling a bit guilty for not sharing all and everything! lol I do not want my children to know because I do not want them having weight issues, etc. and thinking this is just acceptable. This is/was a last resort for me. I just want to be healthy for them!

Once you get Banded, Follow instructions, exercise, and be Patient. You will go far.

Just listen to your Dr., and ask away on this site for help or hints.

Don't forget to sign up with myfitnesspal com This will help monitor your calories, and exercise.

Get a FLAVORFUL Protein Drink !

I am SO glad to see this group so active so quickly! I just got off the phone with the lady at my drs office that does the insurance and found out that I can start my preop diet next week! I am supposed to have only 4 shakes and fresh veggies if needed! First off I can not stand the over whelming sweet taste of these shakes and wow... 4 a day for 2 weeks??? I see lots of chasing it with Water and eating veggies to cleanse my palet after drinking them! I saw EyeOnPrize posted about her children and what to tell them... I have 5 kiddos and the only one who really knows what is happening is my oldest (13). I have talked to her to help her understand what it is and why I am doing it, but all of my other kids when they have heard anything said about the surgery and asked we have told them that I am having my gallbladder out (which I am at the same time) and they seem to understand that because they have seen me have gallbladder attacks before. I hope that helps them understand since they know how painful it is to have an attack and I am trying to not have anymore! It is so exciting to know that I have read and read and read on these boards for so long and now it is actually coming up to my turn to join in over on the losers bench!

I find it interesting how different doctors have different pre-op diet requirements.