Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going to work 2 days after surgery?

Hey everyone...

I am getting banded on Feb 20th. (monday). My employer says I have 3 days including surgery day. So that means....I will be back at work Wed or Thursday. I work a desk job that is minimal movement unless I want to and our office is so small it is really impacted when I am not there so I feel kind of obligated to get back to work asap! What do you all think, can I go back to work on WED? I have had laporoscopy surgery getting my appendix removed and for endometriosis....and did alright with it...but this is totally different. What do you guys think?

That sounds a like it is a little soon to me. I was still pretty sore and tired easily on day three. I was still occasionally taking pain meds (not all day long, but when I got to hurting). Thank God, I didn't have much gas pain, but when it hits, you need to be able to get up and walk it off. I actually took off 12 days, which was not really necessary, but I live quite a ways from my work, and it was the drive that bothered me more than the sitting. Good luck.

Everyone is different, so it is really hard to tell. I went back after a few days, but only worked half days and I was very tired. If I had to do it over again, I would take a full week off. I wasn't in any pain, I was a little sore, but just very tired. Take it easy if you go back that soon.

Well I couldn't have done it. That would be surgery day, day 2 in hospital and then one day at home - I could barely pull up my own pants on day 3 forget about going to work. I couldn't even post on the internet until day 5 when I could sit in a chair for more than a few minutes - personally I would take at least a week off (I took 9 full days but wished that I had done the full 14). Everyone is different but you don't know how you will react to the anesthesia etc. (you can check out my journal for all of the details)

If you need more time and you boss wont give it to you then look into FMLA (Family and Medical leave act) You have up to 12 weeks I believe to care for yourself or family due to medical issue and your boss can not fire you - your job must be held for you.

Good luck!

As others have said, everyone is different. I could have gone back to a minimal movement desk job 3 days later. However, I would have explained to my boss that I may not be as productive as I was pre-surgery due to the fact that my body is still healing.

I know people that went shopping the next day. But I've also known people that were down for 2 weeks. There's no way of saying how you'll feel. Do yourself a favor and make sure your life is in order before you go in case you're forced to go back to work. At least when you get home you'll have already cleaned and stocked your house after work all you need to do is plop on the couch. Also, make sure you have plenty of clean, loose clothes. You'll be swollen and bloated, and ANYTHING around your waist could be miserable. I lived in dresses and sweats - no bra for me either since it rubbed against one of my scars.

Be prepared, just in case.

I had surgery on a Thursday and was back at work -- desk work -- Monday. I think it helps to schedule it on a Thursday -- you're out only two days and have the weekend to help recover as well. If you think you might need an extra few days, maybe you can arrange with your boss to bring some paperwork home and do it while laying in bed?

Good luck with your surgery.

Elizabeth

I had my surgery on a Friday morning and went back to work on Monday. I really didn't have any problems at all. I was moving a little more slow than usual on the first day, but I was back to full speed by Tuesday. Although my job does not always keep me at my desk, I just carefully arranged my schedule so that I would only be doing desk work that week.

I could have done it easily, no exaggeration. If it was a desk job. I packed off my 3 year old to my mum's house, had the house to myself, and was anticipating lazing around, having an afternoon sleep, instead I was climbing the walls by 10 am and went shopping.

I had a bad day or two where the anaesthetic caught up with m e though, a couple of days later, where I had a few fainting spells but even that passed. To me this operation was an absolute cinch.

To me this operation was an absolute cinch.

ROFLOL!

I think, even as one of the ones that went shopping the next day, going to back to work would have been a bit much. I was very tired, and slept a lot after surgery. I was out the full week, and I needed it.

If you need more days, you need more days, and too bad for your boss. This is a MAJOR surgery, not having a wart burned off.

I went back to school the following week (4 days later), but I did have a pillow with me for support.

Hubby was shopping at Wal-Mart with me the night of surgery! He was walking slow, but he didn't have any problems.

I dunno about the 2 day thing, I don't think either (him or me) of us could do it.

Any chance they would let you work 1/2 a day??

Can you get your date changed to Friday? I had my surgery on Thursday and took Thurs, Fri, and Mon off and went back to work on Tues. I had a sit down job and should have waited until Wed....I was physically capable of working but, felt worn out.

I couldn't have gone back to work that quickly...I was really tired for almost a week. If you can reschedule your surgery for a Thursday, you would at least get the weekend in there to use for recovery. Hope you can work something out to give yourself a little more time.

Emily

Thanks for the concern guys...my Dr only does surgery on Mon, Tues, and Wed. and he was booked up on the Tues and Wed, and I would have had to wait 2 more weeks to get the surgery....and I am so ready to get it done! I think I am going to come in on WED for a 1/2 day and see how I feel. I had a c-section and was walking at the mall 5 days later, so maybe I will be ok. I don't know...I might have to have a coming to Jesus meeting with the Boss!!!