Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

diet restrictions before surgery

I have been reading these boards for the last few days ( just found them) and my surgery is scheduled for this Tuesday, September 20th. I find it interesting that most of you talk about pre op dieting of just liquids, etc. My surgeon has made no suggestion other than to not eat after midnight of the night before surgery.. Am I the only one who has a doctor that doesn't do any pre op diet restrictions? I have a BMI of 35.1 and about 70 lbs. to lose. I first went to the surgeon to discuss Lipo and he was the one who bought up the subject of the lapband. From my first visit to him until my scheduled surgery has been just a few short weeks so I am still getting my head around all this and trying to study up on everything. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Just on another note, I am very scared and also very excited to have this done. I am 64 so have waited a long time to finally admit that I have no control over my weight problems. thanks for listening to me ramble...Janice

All surgeon's have different ways of going about things. If you weren't given a super strict pre-op diet, then that's what your surgeon prefers. Be happy, really. Being on liquids for 2 weeks pre-op and 2 weeks post-op isn't fun.

Good luck on your journey.

I was so worried about the pre op diet I was delighted when my doc said just do an Atkins type of diet for 2 weeks before. My BMI is also

35.7 and my surgery was set for 8/24 but had to reschedule for Christmas Break because I got an offer for a teaching position. Good luck!

Dieting before supposedly shrinks the liver and makes it easier for the surgeon, however every surgeon is different so consider yoursel one of the lucky ones.

My surgery is scheduled for Nov. 22, 2011. And my Dr. has me starting a pre-op diet on Oct. 24. It consist of Protein Shake for Breakfast and lunch. And a sensible dinner of meat (Chicken or fish) and 2 vegs. or 1 veg. and 1 fruit. And Water only to drink. (No breads, sodas, Pasta, potatoes) This is to shrink the liver before surgery. However I think every surgeon has differencies.

I am on mine now, I was told it depends on your BMI, 40+ they want you to go on a liquid diet. I'm on Nutri-care bars, shakes and Soup. Not too bad but really need it every two hours like I was told. My surgery is Friday the 23rd.

Hi,

My doctor had me on an all Protein diet about 10 days prior to surgery. So any meat I wanted, eggs, some cheese, sugar free jellos/puddings and popsicles, and all the Protein drinks I could get down. I didn't starve by any means and the only time I was on liquids was for a week after surgery. I only have 75 lbs to lose and have lost approximately 15 in the first 3 weeks after surgery. (Don't expect to lose a whole lot, if any the 6 weeks you are out of surgery. This is a time for healing and NOT concentrating on losing weight in the least. I was happy to lose some, but I'm not obessed about it yet. I only know I've lost because when I went for my 2nd week post-op appointment I got on their scale and was down!)

I agree that each doctor is different and I've seen a lot of people say they were on nothing but liquids for two weeks prior and then two weeks after surgery. To be honest I am so glad that I did NOT have to do that as well. I think sometimes it has to do with the amount of weight everyone has to lose too. Since we are below the 100 lbs to lose, then maybe that's why they don't want us to lose a ton before the surgery? I don't know, and I haven't asked the surgeon.

I was banded on September 1st and am doing quite well now. Did have a few issues that first week with horrible gas pains and neck and shoulder pain as well. Am on regular foods 3 weeks out and not having any issues, nor is there any restriction what so ever. I just make sure that I am eating healthy foods and making good choices and watching the portions that I eat. Sometimes I do feel real hungry and then I make sure I go get some Water to drink because it's been hard to get the full amount of liquids that they wanted (64 ounces a day)

Just remember to ask your doctors lots and lots of questions. When you're done with the surgery and you're at home recovering and think of more questions call the doctor. They are paid to answer your questions and to put your mind at ease. Do not just sit there and wonder, ask ask ask and get the answers. Good luck :)

3 pints of Skimmed milk n 2 low fat yoghurts per day only for 9 days was my diet

I am on day 3 of my pre-op diet. I have to have 2 Protein shakes a day and then a very strict dinner....one Protein, one veggie, and one starch. I am having trouble with the Protein Shakes as I have tried about 8 of them now and don't like any of them. I basically have to guzzle them down and pray I don't gag and throw them back up.

No pre-op diet....you are one of the lucky ones! My Dr puts everyone on this diet as he says it shrinks the liver and make the laproscopic surgery safer. Then it is 3-4 weeks of liquids after the surgery, then 2-3 weeks of mushies, then finally....real food.

Great, best of luck!! keep us informed..

I am on mine now, I was told it depends on your BMI, 40+ they want you to go on a liquid diet. I'm on Nutri-care bars, shakes and Soup. Not too bad but really need it every two hours like I was told. My surgery is Friday the 23rd.