Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all...this is my first time posting on this site, however I have been reading all along thru my journey. I decided to get the Lapband in June I went through all the tests and hoops you have to jump through in order to get the surgery. My suregery was scheduled for yesterday. I fasted for 3 days over the weekend showed up at the hospital at 615 was ready and excited to begin my new journey. Well at 1000 they brought me down intot the surgical suite and I flipped out and said I do not want this surgery. They brought me back up to the room and let me go. I am beating myself up so bad right now. While I was in the suite I kept thinking omg, I am never going to be able to eat again, I am going to be starvinggggg after this surgery (I was starving while sitting there), I thought my world as I knew it was going to come to an end I couldn't handle it. I feel like a failure. I feel like not only did I let myself down but my whole support system around me down. My friends and family were very supportive and said it's fine. But I am not fine. I am going a little nutty. Please tell me something anything to put me at ease. Has anyone else ever scheduled and re-scheduled. Or backed out there first time?? Is this normal?? HELP!!!!

I am very sorry that you weren't able to follow through on your plans, but it's OK. You should never do anything you aren't ready for. First I will tell you that you will NOT strave; yes there may be times that you are hungry but there are ways to deal with it. Your mouth isn't being sewn shut, so you will be able to eat, you might not eat everything you want to but you will still be able to enjoy food. I am very lucky, I can eat most everything I always have. The weight I have lost was in the early part of my journey when my committment was highest and I followed the rules and made the best choices. Right now I am making some adjustments to my eating habits to hopefully start things going again.

Almost a four hour wait is hard on the mind when you are faced with the unknown :( :( . Don't worry the opportunity is still out there, if you want it.

For me, things have been easy. As of last month I have 5.5cc in a 10cc band. I don't think I have restriction as I think most people mean it. I do get full from a lot less food than 3 yrs ago. Other people have had problems and we each are different so you can't determine what will happen with you based on someone else. I get stuck if I eat to quickly, if I overeat...meaning I ignored the sign that I was full. I get very uncomfortable or have a PB issue,.

I would do this again without hesitation! It has changed my life so much, I did this for my health but my self esteem JUMPED :Banane54:

I bought a dress in DEB and I never could go in there before. I don't mind going out, I don't run from cameras and my health is imporved,. I still need to drop about 30lbs to meet the suggested weight. I will be very happy to get off another 15 or so.

Don't feel bad about your decision, all of this has to be for you and about you. Hope I've helped and good luck.

Hello all...this is my first time posting on this site, however I have been reading all along thru my journey. I decided to get the Lapband in June I went through all the tests and hoops you have to jump through in order to get the surgery. My suregery was scheduled for yesterday. I fasted for 3 days over the weekend showed up at the hospital at 615 was ready and excited to begin my new journey. Well at 1000 they brought me down intot the surgical suite and I flipped out and said I do not want this surgery. They brought me back up to the room and let me go. I am beating myself up so bad right now. While I was in the suite I kept thinking omg, I am never going to be able to eat again, I am going to be starvinggggg after this surgery (I was starving while sitting there), I thought my world as I knew it was going to come to an end I couldn't handle it. I feel like a failure. I feel like not only did I let myself down but my whole support system around me down. My friends and family were very supportive and said it's fine. But I am not fine. I am going a little nutty. Please tell me something anything to put me at ease. Has anyone else ever scheduled and re-scheduled. Or backed out there first time?? Is this normal?? HELP!!!!

I did something similar. The difference - I did not go so far. I freaked out and moved it from 08/29 to 09/19. I can't even explain why. Probably, scared. I found thousand of other excuses ( like I want to shrink my liver more, etc,etc,etc, blah-blah-blah- I was eating like crazy after it).

But the funniest thing is that in few days after this rescheduling we found out that the hurracaine is coming to NY on the 28-29th and many hospitals to be evacualed .

So - it was ment to be. My hospital was among them.

Hopefully, my feeling at that moment was a good sign, because now I have to do it really coming Monday.

You will also find your right time!! Just give it another chance

Thank you so much for the responses....Dalex, I hope your surgery goes alot smoother than mine lol...Tell them to put you out ASAP. The wait was TERRIBLE!!!!! I regret that I didnt have the surgery and I keep going over the what if's in my mind....what if they took me sooner, what if they just came over to get me 5 mins earlier. Ugggh i'm driving myself insane!!!! I am going to put my all into losing some weight without the band, and if in a few months I am still struggling I will call the Dr and pray that they will take me on board again. I am not sure how that works....I feel as if I have wasted everyone's time :( Oh and one more big question....the feeling of hunger that I was enduring throughout the 3 day liquid fast, will I still feel that way after surgery??? Because that was awful!!! Thanks again for any and all responses :)

Oh and niterun...you go girl!!!!

Brat, you poor thing!

I thought I was going to change my mind a million times too--it was such a long process from my first consultation to my surgery date...

My experience was the opposite tho, I had barely finished filling out my paperwork when I was taken into a room and they started my IV. Well, I am horrible with shots, and almost passed out on the spot before that IV had even started. I guess I turned pure white and was sweating profusely, so about 4 different people came in to talk to me. I admitted to being so nervous. One nurse told me, its OK, I can change my mind. When that idea was spoken out loud to me, my first reaction was, NO! I can't give up now! I think her just letting me know I had the power to change my mind made me more determined not too, if that makes sense.....

My doctor also gave me some great advice; he told me its good to feel nervous because that means your brain is anticipating the changes about to take place, and preparing my body for them.....for some reason, that gave me comfort, thinking MY BRAIN has a lot of control over my weight loss too, not just hunger or cravings...

Hope this helps a little, good luck to you!

Brat, you poor thing!

I thought I was going to change my mind a million times too--it was such a long process from my first consultation to my surgery date...

My experience was the opposite tho, I had barely finished filling out my paperwork when I was taken into a room and they started my IV. Well, I am horrible with shots, and almost passed out on the spot before that IV had even started. I guess I turned pure white and was sweating profusely, so about 4 different people came in to talk to me. I admitted to being so nervous. One nurse told me, its OK, I can change my mind. When that idea was spoken out loud to me, my first reaction was, NO! I can't give up now! I think her just letting me know I had the power to change my mind made me more determined not too, if that makes sense.....

My doctor also gave me some great advice; he told me its good to feel nervous because that means your brain is anticipating the changes about to take place, and preparing my body for them.....for some reason, that gave me comfort, thinking MY BRAIN has a lot of control over my weight loss too, not just hunger or cravings...

Hope this helps a little, good luck to you!

Thanks Bertie....im glad ur surgery went well!!! When did you get banded?? I regret the desicion everyday and just keep thinking I had gone so far!!!! I called the office today and scheduled another appt for the begining of Oct so I guess i'll just hope for a better outcome than :)

Thanks Bertie....im glad ur surgery went well!!! When did you get banded?? I regret the desicion everyday and just keep thinking I had gone so far!!!! I called the office today and scheduled another appt for the begining of Oct so I guess i'll just hope for a better outcome than :)

I was banded with plication 7/27/11, While I was in the pre-op holding area, I went all clammy, thought I was gonna hyperventilate--it was so strange because I've had several surgeries over the years and I have never reacted that way. My hubby got the nurse; she checked me over then asked, "Do you feel like you want to bolt?" A "YES!" flew out of my mouth pretty fast. The nurse gave me some IV Versed, and all was well after that. Perhaps your doctor would give you something to take for anxiety next time? A four hour wait is just too long so maybe next time they could schedule you as the first surgical case?

Good luck!

Scuffy

Hi Brat1024 -

I'm sorry to hear that you regret it. It's ok to be nervous, after all you are having surgery. I know what you mean about starving and eating, boy do I like to eat. Being part of a Latino family, well it can be difficult because of all the great food. I think that will be my biggest challenge before getting the surgery. :blink:

You should try going to a support group around your area for individuals who have had this type of surgery. Where I live, we have that, I have not had my surgery yet, but attending the meetings has really allowed me to get a better understanding of what I can expect. The staff at my doctor's office are great and the meetings with guest speakers are great also. We also have been allowed to contact past lap band individuals (with their consent of course) and they too have been great and very informative.

You have the support of your family and friends and that is a beautiful thing. You will need the encouragement, love, and support from them before and most definetely after your sugery. You should schedule another surgery date when you are ready and try to attend a support meeting.

I wish you nothing but the best and keep us posted as to what you decided to do.

You mentioned that your world as you knew it was going to end. Really though, it's going to change for the better. You'll still be able to eat your favorite foods too, just hopefully not as much.