Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Early Twenties too young for the lapband?

Hello. I'm 21, 5' 3", 236 pounds. I'm the biggest I've ever been in my life, and I'm only getting bigger. I tried losing weight about five years ago, only to gain it all back in like a year. I've been thinking about the lapband for a few years now and I've just signed up to attend a seminar. Do you think the lap band is a wise choice for me? I'm at my wits end. I'd love to hear opinions. :]

I think that the lap band is a wise choice for any one who struggles with their weight.

Are you sure you are not like my younger twin lol Im 23 im 5'4" and weigh 278 I have been struggling with my weight since i was a teen and I have decided to go thru with it and the only thing i can say is research research reasearch we are all here to support you in whatever you decide :) I have been thinking about the lapband for about 4 years now and finally decided to just go for it because at this weight there is not much worse that could happen good luck sweeite in all that you choose to do keep us posted k :D

Hello. I'm 21, 5' 3", 236 pounds. I'm the biggest I've ever been in my life, and I'm only getting bigger. I tried losing weight about five years ago, only to gain it all back in like a year. I've been thinking about the lapband for a few years now and I've just signed up to attend a seminar. Do you think the lap band is a wise choice for me? I'm at my wits end. I'd love to hear opinions. :]

After having had the surgery one of the most common comments I say is I only wish I had made the decision to have the surgery sooner...The lap band has given me my life back and I think of all the years I essentially wasted being uphappy about my weight. I know others in their 20's who made the choice and i applaud you for taking the steps to a healthier life now, rather than waiting until it really impacts your health.

I think it's a great idea if you are committed to living a new life. It is not an easy way out and it takes dedication, but it is so unbelieveably worth it in my eyes. I say, embrace life and go for it!!!

Thank you so much guys, I know you don't know me but I really feel close to tears.

For the most part I've been able to just barely tolerate myself over the years...but now, I've really begun to hate myself. My family has a history of being obese. Some of my family members even have serious medical conditions. One day I just said to myself, "I can't live the rest of my life like this. Some people might not mind being fat, but I've NEVER been happy." I know it's time for me to do something about it. I don't want to get sick, and I'm tired of my weight being a mental and physical handicap. I'm ready for a lifestyle change and I've already taken a positive first step. Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Hi Pumkin!

I feel as though I could have written your entire paragraph to a tee! I feel the exact same way and I have chosen to take the plunge as well! Oct. 13th baby! WOOT!

Thank you so much guys, I know you don't know me but I really feel close to tears.

For the most part I've been able to just barely tolerate myself over the years...but now, I've really begun to hate myself. My family has a history of being obese. Some of my family members even have serious medical conditions. One day I just said to myself, "I can't live the rest of my life like this. Some people might not mind being fat, but I've NEVER been happy." I know it's time for me to do something about it. I don't want to get sick, and I'm tired of my weight being a mental and physical handicap. I'm ready for a lifestyle change and I've already taken a positive first step. Thank you for taking the time to respond!

I know a couple of people who got it in their late teens, so I don't think early 20s is too early at all!

I wish you luck with your journey, whichever route you take. :)

First off, congratulations on taking the first step. This is not an easy decision to make and only you can decide if it is right for you. The upside is you know that you have a problem and you are ready to look into changing that. I am 29 and I had mine done in April. So far it is the best decision I've ever made. Here's the thing. You have to be 150% ready to dedicate yourself to this process. It's not a quick fix it is a tool. The band doesn't work for you, you work for the band. The feeling of being frustrated is overwhelming, i know that first hand but this is not an easy road. There are a lot of ups and downs with this and if I've said it once I've said it 1000 times most of what is going to happen to you during this change is going to be mental. It is a lot to take on at a young age but if you are informed, prepared, and willing then your taking a step in the right direction. Best of luck to you hun :)

I'm 25, 5' 3/4" and 214 lbs. I will be getting the lap band next month; I am only waiting on my appointment with the nutritionist. I think that the lap band is a great choice with anyone suffering with a weight problem, just as the first poster said. Although I have chosen not to tell anyone about it, I am so proud that I am able to get this and I view it as a tool to help me get to where I need to be. Don't stress about it. If you feel you want/need the lap band, don't worry about other people thinking you are too young, I think better sooner than later.

Good luck!!

Hi PumpkinPanda,

I am 27 years old and I have been over weight my whole adult life. It took me to get up to 355 pounds before I did something about it. One thing that I regret is that I didn't do it sooner. Because I feel sometimes like I have wasted my early 20's being UNCOMFORTABLE and self conscious and low self esteem etc.... But on the flip side, I had to get to a breaking point and a maturity to make a decision that would effect my life. (I am a skeptic at heart) So if you are fed up with being overweight and you are ready for a change, and willing to become more physically active. I would Defintely get the Lapband if I were you. Get it and lose the weight and enjoy the rest of your life.B)

Goodluck with your decision

FeFe

weight.png

I have wanted the lapband since i was 16. I couldnt afford it in Canada ( was +$20,000 when I looked into it and my parents would never agree).

After years of wasting thousands of dollars, I finally got in at the age of 24 (for a much affordable price I could pay on my own, actually my parents have no idea).

It was the best decision ever! If I could have gotten as a teen I would have!

I'm 23 & I'm 5'10 & my highest weight was 340lbs. I will only tell you this once. THIS IS THE BEST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE. I was banded about month & I've already lost 17lbs. I suggest you to do it. It's well worth the rewards.

You are never too young to do something for your health!! Being 31 and banded in July, I wouldn't change it for the world. It is a whole new lifestyle and it is a lot of hard work, but the benifits are well worth it. Good luck with what you choose to do, you only have one life, you don't get to trade this one in for a new one. You might as well be happy every day of it!!

Bless you, and good luck to all you that are taking charge of your life! Keep in mind that you have to work at this but you can do it. Good luck, again, Karen

I'm 29, and this band was the best decision I ever made. I too struggled with my weight almost my entire life, and I wish I would have gotten this done sooner. However, I do have to say that emotionally, I was not ready to have this surgery a few years ago. That of course doesn't mean that you are in the same boat; but I think that because the band is not a passive miracle fix all tool, being emotionally ready and motivated is key.

You will need to be kind and loving to yourself; losing weight doesn't make us love ourselves more; loving ourselves more gives us the motivation to lose the weight; it's quite the opposite from what is commonly believed. That is the first step I would take, work on loving yourself no matter what size you are. Your size is NOT who you are. You are who you are, and despite the extra fluff, I'm sure you're a beautiful human being who is deserving of happiness, love and health!!

Best of luck on your journey! :D It's never too early to start being healthy!!!