Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lapband vs gastric bypass

can anyone tell me why didnt they choose gastric bypass instead of lapband. the numbers with gastric are sooo much successful . i see the lapbanders struggle so much more and seemed to have slower progress or non at all. I changing my mind about lapband and leaning towards gastric. After all this weighting and struggle i want to be successful.im meeting with my surgeon minday about my doubts. He said gastric is better for me . i need to lose 130lbs.

It all boils down to choice and preference, yes a lot of bypass patients have tremendous results but a lot regain everything plus more than there initial weigh over time. I didnt want fast weigh lost, I wanted a gradual change where I could retrain myself to be healthy. Lets face it we put ourselves in this predicament by overeating, unhealthy choices and little to no exercise. With bypass it's rapid weight loss with no need to focus on what you put in your mouth. My ultimate reason for getting the band was I refused to have my inside butchered... That was a deal breaker for me

My sister had the bypass and had several issues, I opted for lapband. If complications arise, at least it's reversable.

My surgeon wouldn't even look at bypass unless I really wanted it. He said that while I have 140 lbs, I don't have high blood pressure, diabetes, or any other co-morbidity that would be more easily reversed by bypass. Can't tell you long term how things are going, but I'm less than two weeks out, have lost 21lbs and am already changing how I look at food, which is key with any weight loss surgery for long term success.

No matter which road you choose, I wish you the best of luck and long term success, and know that you will always find support here.

Josh

true i want to make sure its the right decisiom[n. ive seen people not lose anything on the lapband. I dont waNT T0 BE DISSAPOINTED > DID U GET BANDED ALREADY OR ARE YOU BANDED FOR OCTOBER. MY DATE IS THIS UPCOMING THURSday but will meet with my surgeon again for the final decision.thanks your doctor is said to be top notch. ill be seeing my doctor in methodist.

how much did she lose. the lapand also has issues. did she have any regrets.

I chose lapband instead of bypass because there is really no permanent change to your anatomy as someone else here posted. If you have issues or what have you, it can be taken out and your insides pretty much return to normal. Not so with bypass, the lapband mortality rate is also 1%, the bypass mortality rate is much higher, not to scare you.

I am choosing lapband over gastric bypass for a couple of reasons. First the malabsorbtion issue is a big one. The bypass is a done deal, no taking it out and returning to normal if the need arises. The band works and with the plication has almost the same rate of intitial EWL as a bypass. I smoke and my doctor said that affects a bypass much more than a lapband. Even though we read here about the problems of the band, bypass has it own set of problems as well. Off the top of my head I can think of one right away, dumping syndrome.

As for slower weight-loss it depends on the person. I go gung- ho on things and have loss 104 since 4/11. I have 40 left to loose and feel great. I have had 4 c-section and then 2 major cancer surgeries so there was no way I was putting my body through gastric bypass when the lap band could give me a healthier life. It all depends on the person and there motivation. One more thing I might add is I was back to work as a grocery checker on day 4.

Lapband surgery has changed a great deal in the past few years. According to my surgeon, the failure rate for ACS accredited Lapband operations is

currently less than 1%. Previously, the failure rate was about 8%. Hopefully, in a year or so, we can survey todays patients receiving the Lapband in accredited

Hospitals and clinics to see just how dependable they are.

wow !!! thats encouraging you have done phenominal > i had C section one and took almost 7 months to recover the pain was not tolerable but bearable. well i want to know what type of diet plam did u follow including excercise.youre an incredible person , your a strong mental inividual.

I chose lapband for lots of reasons: 1) not a major overhaul of my insides; 2) recovery time; 3) if a problem can be reversed; 4) it helps me learn how to eat properly with a better chance of keeping the weight off. 5) slower weight loss giving my skin a chance to catch up.

All in all, it is a matter of personal preference. I feel for me I have made the best decision...and my PCP agrees, even though I didn't see him until after my decision had been made.

Good luck!

As for slower weight-loss it depends on the person. I go gung- ho on things and have loss 104 since 4/11. I have 40 left to loose and feel great. I have had 4 c-section and then 2 major cancer surgeries so there was no way I was putting my body through gastric bypass when the lap band could give me a healthier life. It all depends on the person and there motivation. One more thing I might add is I was back to work as a grocery checker on day 4.

oh !!! 4 days incredible thats an issue for me, i want to return to work in two weeks

I never even looked at a bypass. The idea of rearranging my insides was too much for me. I want something reversible. I don't have food addictions or a problem with eating junk food. I been working out for 2 years now and need more control over portions. Lapband is just a tool for me. The biggie is I want to have another baby!!!