Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To my surprise I just found out I am approved for tummy tuck! I want to lose 20 pounds before I do the surgery, but need to schedule consult soon. I could use advice on what kind of questions I should ask the Dr. and what to expect.

Thank you

Teri

My consult was this week.

I asked what the procedure consisted of and how long it would take. How long before I would be up and back to 100% again. What the complications could be.

I also asked him what complications if any, does he see in his patients.

He voluntary told me that he automatically stretches the pubic skin up when he does the tuck- Apparently not all docs do this so you may want to ask if you are saggy in that area:) He also told me everything I could expect. He showed me before and after pics of his work and pictures of the stages of scarring.

Also 3 of my friends just had theirs done and all 3 recommend a pain pump if your PS offers one. Mine does. It's $400 extra but they all said it's well worth it.

Also ask if they will be able to move your port, not all plastic surgeons do that. If they don't move it they can't full tighten the muscles.

Thanks spoiltmom- I would not have thought of most those ??

My insurance is paying for the lower portion and I will pay a $1000.00 for the top portion. My Dr says it looks bad to just do the lower so he gives huge discount to do the whole tummy. Sorry I forget the correct terms for these procedures.

I just had a TT with muscle repair 2 weeks ago and am recovering nicely. I had a difficult time finding a PS I was comfortable with AND who had experience with patients who had a Lap-Band. Here are the questions I asked:

1. Have you actually done TTs on patients with a Lap Band? (he had)

2. If so, how many? (he had done several)

3. Tell me about how you handled the lap-band port. (This open-ended question let him tell me about how he moved it in some patients, how he left it in place in some, etc -- it also let me hear about his level of experience and comfort with working on patients with the Band.) Several other questions came from this discussion...just ask what comes naturally based on your surgeon's responses.

4. If you relocate the port, where do you put it? (This was important to me because I didn't want it to be placed directly over my heart....just in case a careless doctor "missed" my port when doing a fill in the future. I wouldn't want a heart problem!!)

5. Are there any complications that I should be aware of that a non-Band patient would not have?

Oh, and you'll definitely want the pain pump.

I'm happy to say that my PS was great. He answered every question and even offered more information about his areas of expertise (body lifts) and spent a long time with me in a non-rushed, conversational, relaxed environment. I felt like I was talking to a friend instead of a doctor...and I had just met the guy! I highly recommend him, but since you're probably not in the St. Louis area, he won't do you much good ;-)

Best of luck to you!!

I just had a TT with muscle repair 2 weeks ago and am recovering nicely. I had a difficult time finding a PS I was comfortable with AND who had experience with patients who had a Lap-Band. Here are the questions I asked:

1. Have you actually done TTs on patients with a Lap Band? (he had)

2. If so, how many? (he had done several)

3. Tell me about how you handled the lap-band port. (This open-ended question let him tell me about how he moved it in some patients, how he left it in place in some, etc -- it also let me hear about his level of experience and comfort with working on patients with the Band.) Several other questions came from this discussion...just ask what comes naturally based on your surgeon's responses.

4. If you relocate the port, where do you put it? (This was important to me because I didn't want it to be placed directly over my heart....just in case a careless doctor "missed" my port when doing a fill in the future. I wouldn't want a heart problem!!)

5. Are there any complications that I should be aware of that a non-Band patient would not have?

Oh, and you'll definitely want the pain pump.

I'm happy to say that my PS was great. He answered every question and even offered more information about his areas of expertise (body lifts) and spent a long time with me in a non-rushed, conversational, relaxed environment. I felt like I was talking to a friend instead of a doctor...and I had just met the guy! I highly recommend him, but since you're probably not in the St. Louis area, he won't do you much good ;-)

Best of luck to you!!

Thanks........ I have my consult appt. in 2 hrs. I have printed your questions for me to ask. I am vervous and excited

Great! Let us know how it went!!

I have Blue Shield/Blue Cross. My appt was kind of a mess. The front office mixed up my paperwork, this made the Dr. fustrated. He was nice to me but rude to the PA. He was hurried, rushed with his answers, stressed yet still trying to be nice to me. His pictures looked great, and I like the answers to my questions but did not get the warm fuzzy feeling I have read on other post. I am scheduled for surgery 11-10-11. My birthday is 5 days later. A flat tummy what a wonderful gift to me! I asked how this surgery would compare to the Breast Reduction I got last year. He said it is a much tougher surgery, more painfull, and longer recovery. This scared me very much as I had a real slow painful recovery. 2 mos of the worst pain ever, 3 mos sleeping in a recliner, 6 mos of pain, depression wonderring why I would do this to myself. It has been a year and a half, and I have slight numbness on the side of breast and sensitive nipples, not a big deal at all. I am very happy with the results, so the pain was worth it. I have fibromyalgia so I have over active pain nerves causing everything to be much more painful, and I was told my recovery time is about twice as long. Thanks for your post

Do people who lose all their weight ever look good without a TT?

Depends on your skin. Mine did NOT rebound after losing my weight. Just had my TT in August. Some people have skin that goes back

Do people who lose all their weight ever look good without a TT?

my Dr said it usually depends on several factors..... how long the weight has been on, the age of the patient and how much elasticity is left in the skin.

SO far I think I am going to need a TT.... but will not make that decision until I am at my goal.

Now as for the girls.... I SO need a lift... gravity and weight loss has taken their toll. I wonder if I can get it done at the same time. I will investigate when the time comes.

To my surprise I just found out I am approved for tummy tuck! I want to lose 20 pounds before I do the surgery, but need to schedule consult soon. I could use advice on what kind of questions I should ask the Dr. and what to expect.

Thank you

Teri

what!! you go girl! ms too sexy for my clothes YEA!!

my daughter inlaw did full body and id say one week she was doing littl laundry but back to human. 2nd day is wowww, but you survive, the littl baggies werent to nice to see but necessary for drainage and you need help to get up etc for that week.