Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Proactive Band Removal?

This may sound crazy, or perhaps way off-base, but having read ALL of the many posts of sadness and hardship surrounding erosions (etc) of the band recently, and people having to remove it, would any of us consider doing this as a "preventative" measure? I mean, just throwing in the band towel, and moving on (or back)?

I know this might sound weird, but in a weird way, this has popped into my head a few times... Just curious (and especially interested in what ya'll who've lost your bands think).

angie :bananajump:

Not me. I realize that stuff can go wrong and I do feel badly for those who have had problems with their bands. I know that it could be any one of us, but I'm happy to keep mine until my doctor tells me its dangerous to do so...

I love my band!

So this question just made me stop worrying about erosion. Thank you!

No way is anyone taking my band. I came into this with eyes wide open, I knew there was a 1% risk of erosion involved. I also knew there was a .1% risk of dying from complications. Why I ever let this bother me so much now is beyond me.

With an endo at 18 months, or sooner if you feel that unsettled about it, you should know in plenty of time if the band has to come out. And, as everyone has said, it is rare that anyone has long term problems associated with the erosion. Nope, Im going to soldier on with the information I have gained from all of the folks here (still banded, newly banded, old band heads, eroded angels) and make the best of this gift while being wise about taking care of my body with endos and eating properly. Even if all the bands fail, Im going to get the most out of mine while I have it. Y'all are going to be smelling smoke from my treadmill when I get it. Im on the road to health and nobody better get in my way - or try to take my band! *laughs* Reminds me of that bumper sticker "If you want my gun, you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands"

Party on bansters! Life is good, live it like there's no tomorrow. That fabled bus could be around your next corner! :bananajump:

I would definitely recommend having it removed after 18 months, but only if you've had a port infection. For me, I wanted it OUT because I suffered a port infection for 8 months. All the knowledge I had about port infections going hand-in-hand with erosion had me fretting n' stewing to the point I got creepy vibes that I was creating my own erosion! Constant worrying about the band isn't healthy.

However, if you have a healthy band and you know it's healthy because you had an annual (or 18 month) endo, then I see no reason to take it out unless it's not doing its job. If I had a band that didn't work, I wouldn't want to keep it. I don't miss my band one bit. I'll probably change that statement if I gain weight back, but for today I don't miss it since I'm trying to continue eating smaller portions and I've learned a lot about chewing and slowing down.

ALL implanted devices have the chance of eroding tissue. This is a known risk of any foreign object in the body. Would you take out an artificial joint on the off chance that it might erode? Of course not. The quality of life that the band has allowed me to attain is valuable enough to me that I will keep my band until/unless it has to come out for some medical reason.

Removing it while it works would just be a U-turn for me, besides not being covered by my insurance as medically necessary. It'd be expensive and probably put me right back into a life of constant dieting and worry. No thanks.

"No Way" Not everyone has erosion, some people have had their bands for years without problems. If I start having problems, then and only then would I consider taking it out. My band has given me a new life!

Nope, not me!

B U T...... I cant say that knowing what i know NOW - that I wouldnt re-consider other choices in WLS. :ermm

Paula,

Can you go into some detail... "what I know now"? I was just banded and thought this was the safest option.

Don't want to "start" anything. Just being curious.....:)

Paula,

Can you go into some detail... "what I know now"? I was just banded and thought this was the safest option.

Don't want to "start" anything. Just being curious.....:)

1. high maintance

2. no insurance that covers band maintance = BIG expenses.

3. and yes, there ARE side affects; slippage, erosion, leaks, port problems, and MY favorite... REFLUX. :clock: there are many others ~ only ones that came to mind.

I knew all of these things before banding, but I thought I would be the one with NO problems.

HA!

thought this was the safest option

It IS the safest option... thats why we ALL chose this WLS.

Thanks to everyone who posted there comments. I'm glad I gave a thought provoking question... I, myself, am not considering, and WILL NOT be having my band removed... ever if I can help it.

The reason I posted this question is because with all the sadness/madness with erosions, etc, lately... well, I figured someone out there is thinking "I shouldn't get the band because..." or, "I should just have it removed because..." I figure, I've been so much with my band so far, and I'm not giving up until I HAVE to (if, and assuming I never do... that would be a blessing).

Anyways, glad this made people think... that was basically my point, and it helps put things in perspective a bit.

angie :)

If it could magically come out without having surgery? yes, probably so. But, unless it slips or erodes or makes me have to have it surgically worked on It is there forever I guess.

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

No way man!!! my band is staying unless it erodes.