Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you still enjoy food after lapband...

Thank you all, this is great feedback!

I eat for comfort and to combat stress. I always needed to have the feeling of a full stomach. I've been on and off diets for over 25 years now and every time I've lost a significant amount of weight (which is probably 10 times over that span), I've always eventually gained it back because of my deep need to have a full stomach after I eat.

What I'm hearing from these responses, for the most part, is that you still enjoy food after the lapband, albeit in a different way (in some cases the enjoyment is more); and that you still enjoy the experience of feeling full.

I still cant get my head around that, I'm always feeling guilty that I've overdone it, becuase I'm so satisfied! In the previous 35 years of my life before I was banded, the only "successful" days were the ones where I felt deprived all day and went to bed hungry. Now I eat the same amount that I might have eaten on one of those days and I feel like I've cheated, I cant have done well enough because I'm not starving.

Some food you will never enjoy the same way. Like grabbing food on the go especially. Forget those on the go slice of pizza the dough will make you pay. Same goes for a lot of meat especially medium rare type of steaks and whatnot. It's just not the same. But it's a small price to pay for staying healthy and alive for some people. Look, the buttom line is - If you are oddicted to food the LapBand might not be for you because chances are you will find a way around the band and become a non-compliant patient which will more than likely hinder your process of weight loss. I am a band patient myself and I am speaking from personal experience. I am not attacking or discouraging anyone i am simply sharing me personal opinion. FOOD ADDICT=NO BAND! seriously you will only hurt yourself more

Since being banded, food actually tastes better to me now. I haven't really changed *what* I eat, because I ate quite healthily before. I just ate too much before. But for example, the sauce of my chicken curry tasted better than it's ever tasted when I made it the other day! And I just ate less of it.

I just eat to live now.....since I have had so many problems with my lap band for the past 2 years I am happy when I can keep anything down.....I can eat about 2 tbs of chicken at a sitting if I cut them into pieces no larger that a pencil eraser and then take forever to chew it until it is mush....salad gives me a problem and of course no Pasta, rice or bread...I actually find, good thing, that oatmeal goes down the easiest and give me the least amount of problems....I really want to loose the weight so it is worth it (my family does not agree with me).....I also miss drinking something with my meal. I spend so much time keeping track of when I ate/drank, etc. so one doesn't interfere with the other takes any joy out of eating!

If I am being honest I would have to say I don't enjoy it as much, but still to some degree! Now I have o be careful of what I order and worry how it might go down. food is now a deliberate choice I make instead of mindless eating-which is good. I am so intuned with my body-I can feel the food go down and when it goes into my stomache. I can tell when I lose weight even if it's only a pound. The lapband has taken some of the joy out of eating-but I am grateful for that.

If I am being honest I would have to say I don't enjoy it as much, but still to some degree! Now I have o be careful of what I order and worry how it might go down. food is now a deliberate choice I make instead of mindless eating-which is good. I am so intuned with my body-I can feel the food go down and when it goes into my stomache. I can tell when I lose weight even if it's only a pound. The lapband has taken some of the joy out of eating-but I am grateful for that.

I can also feel it go down and I know as soon as I am "clear" and can eat some more. I miss being able to have something like a salad....if I cut it up really small can get about 4 bites in and then have to wait for them to clear before I eat more....takes me about 2 hrs to eat a small small salad, by then I am so over eating! I don't even eat with my family any more...they feel like they have to wait for me and I take forever!...Instand mashed potatoes goes down well as does oatmeal...but even than after about 1/2 cup am full...and if I make a mistake pay for it ...to the bathroom and then the slimming, etc....and the heart burn!...now that sucks...

But I to am loosing weight very well at the moment so I guess I am happy!.....

i am 4 years post op...and have to say that i think my taste buds have changed,,,my dr sometimes laugh at me...but I tell you...I now drink a lot less tea and coffee...but where i previously had one and a half teaspoons of sugar in it, I can now put in four - and still dont taste the difference...sweet is not sweet anymore...And the same with salt...maybe its just me...dont know. Still worth it though...have to agree that I do enjoy the small piece of steak more than ever before..

I'm curious if you still enjoy food after the lapband. Obviously the quantities are much lower and there are certain restrictions on what you eat, but does food still taste good when you eat it... or do you miss food and the way it used to make you feel?

Thank you all for your responses - this has been very motivating! My wife and I have both decided to get banded. My surgery is tomorrow and hers is next week.

I'm curious if you still enjoy food after the lapband. Obviously the quantities are much lower and there are certain restrictions on what you eat, but does food still taste good when you eat it... or do you miss food and the way it used to make you feel?

NO, before being banded would think about food all day and plan on where we were going out to dinner, my whole life was what and where i was going to eat..... now food dont excite me. I know I HAVE to eat. I eat just about everyhing I ate before but in a hell of a lot less quantities. breads are the only thing I dont really eat. but when we go out to dinner now ...i am like ok what ever not the food rush i had before....... I guess thats a good thing and why I was morbidly obese before

I can't say I enjoy food as much as I did before. But I don't mind at all. I eat whatever I want, keeping in mind that I don't do well with some foods.

Now what I am enjoying more and more is feeling so much better. I sleep better because I can actually breath while I'm sleeping. I get around better. I'm enjoying exercise because I don't have as much fat flopping around.

I also love the fact that I see changes in my body often. I love having to buy new clothes because my old clothes are too big.

So, do I enjoy food as much? ........No. Do I enjoy life more?......YES! :D

Thank you all for your responses - this has been very motivating! My wife and I have both decided to get banded. My surgery is tomorrow and hers is next week.

Good luck to you and your wife!!!

Good luck to you and your wife!!!

Thank you Rebecca! I'm having surgery in 7 hours - can't wait to get this new chapter of my life started!

How exciting! :lol:

There are so many foods that I actually miss but when i think about it I am grateful that I cannot enjoy those foods anymore! I cannot eat pizza, steak, bread, biscuits, pancakes or waffles. But the food that I do eat I take my time on making it taste yum! and I enjoy every bit of it. I eat alot of egg salad but find different stuff to put in it to juice it up! lol. I do miss drinking Water with my food because I eat HOT food! but. i found that havinga tablespoon of sourcream by my plate is alway helpful! :) I can agree with above stating that band may not be for an addict. BUT...I am a food addict ! Completely. i LOVE it all! and I am SO glad I made the choice because it has really changed me!