Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post banding diet

I got my band on sept 1 and my doc has me on liquids for 2 weeks, then mushies for 1 week, then semi-solids for a week and then solids. It seems like a lot of people don't have to go this slowly, and I'm wondering if my doc is just being super-cautious or what? Even the band literature doesn't have you wait this long for the mush phase. I did fine up until today, but today I got hungry. I am guessing this means my swelling has gone down. Is it safe to start adding in mush yet or should I really wait 2 full weeks?

That is a pretty standard post op regime.It's hard but it's doable. If you want to start progressing ahead of schedule you should be asking your Dr not looking for approval on a website! Whatever your Dr says is what you should do.

Yes that is a normal post op diet. You need to be asking your doctor if he thinks you need to progress its not our decision of whats best for you.

As already mentioned, it is completely up to your Dr. He knows you best. It seems normal to me, however.

I was on Clear Liquids for 1 day

Liquids for 1 week

Mushies for 1 week

Soft foods for 2 weeks

I look forward to resuming "normal" foods on my 4 week anniversary this Friday. :)

You should definitely listen to your doctor. His protocol sounds pretty typical.

Thank you all for the comments. I went to the store right after posting this and bought more liquids, juices, etc, and a little yogurt. I was determined that I would try the yogurt tonight, but after reading your replies I decided to wait. This is definitely the hardest part so far. MUCH harder than the 4 days of pre-op liquid diet. It's weird too, because I am allowed to drink more Protein Shakes now ( I need 122g) but they are starting to sicken me. My mouth tastes chalky all the time and I am constantly thirsty and my stomach grumbles non stop. It feels like all I do is drink shakes all day and I am considering a higher Protein content drink so that I don't have to drink as many of them.

I was banded Sept. 2nd and am sick of liquids too! I have 2 weeks of just liquid and then the mashies....

BUT, I am finally feeling GOOD!

I went back to work today, and was having my 4oz. of strained cream Soup for lunch, and halfway through, for the first TIME, I felt FULL from FOOD!

It was really amazing and so motivating!!

Hang in there, we can DO THIS!

See this is what I have a problem with. You get Soup, I don't. That makes no sense at all to me, but whatever. I am sticking with the liquids for 9 more days.

Your post op diet is identical to mine :-)

I did mushy for a week after a week of liquids- it's all about the healing

What kind of shakes are you drinking? I've been drinking Atkins advantage.. I love the dark chocolate delight.

I have been drinking EAS whey Protein Drinks, both powdered and premixed. I also tried CIB for a while, but it has much less Protein and more volume. I need 122g of protein per day and anything I can find that tastes halfway decent has less than 20g, so that means 6 shakes a day.

Is it safe to start adding in mush yet or should I really wait 2 full weeks?

My Dr Post Op diet was as follows:

week 1 Clear liquids

week 2 reg liquids

week 3 puree / baby food consistancy food

week 4 mushies... reg food mushed up

1 month solids

i followed it to the letter and never had any problems. I would follow your Dr's advice. Best of luck!

my diet is Clear Liquids for first 2 days then day 3-4 I started Protein shakes and creamy thin Soups and jello.. day 5-6 I can have applesauce. Day 7-8 I can have pudding. Day 9-10 I can have thin oatmeal. days 11-14 I am on full liquids and mushies. I get my post 2 week meal plan after my first appt on the 15th. My first fill is on 09/27.

So far i'm not hungry at all. Gas is a killer, I feel better today. Atkins shakes are the bomb!!!!! No bad aftertaste. I can do one shake a day for lunch, Jello for a snack and then at dinner I eat less then half a bowl of Soup.