Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A question for the ladys

I had my surgery on the 6th of august I'm doing great I say that because I survived the liquid diet lol. There was a moment I didn't think I would lol.. Anyways I am late for my menstruation. I'm positive I'm not pregnant. Someone suggested that this was because my body was trying to hold on to everything because I'm not giving it as much nutrients as before? I was wondering how true is this and if any other women have gone threw this after surgery? I'm going to ask my doctor when next I see her but would like some info before that if possible. And just to update I've lost 24lbs total feel great and loving my new energy :)

Well,surgery is a shock to your body and although it causes some women to start early it is concievable that maybe some may start late.If I were you I would confirm with a drug store pregnancy test jsut to confirm becasue f you are pregnant you need to get more food/nutrition in -very importan to the baby's devalopment.

You could almost set your watch to my periods the first 35 years that I had them. About 6 months (and 70 pounds) after my lap band surgery they got incredibly screwed up. There was absolutely no pattern. I may or may not have one each month. I had one that lasted 1 hour....had another one that lasted 6 weeks! It was crazy...doctor said it was probably from the weight lose. I finally just went and had endrometrial ablation. Haven't had one now in about a year and a half.

Thanks for you're reply B~queen.. But I assure you my girlfriend is not capable of getting me pregnant...

Cindy.. Wow that's a lot to deal with ... I hope all is going well and thanks its something to think about

I had my surgery on the 6th of august I'm doing great I say that because I survived the liquid diet lol. There was a moment I didn't think I would lol.. Anyways I am late for my menstruation. I'm positive I'm not pregnant. Someone suggested that this was because my body was trying to hold on to everything because I'm not giving it as much nutrients as before? I was wondering how true is this and if any other women have gone threw this after surgery? I'm going to ask my doctor when next I see her but would like some info before that if possible. And just to update I've lost 24lbs total feel great and loving my new energy :)

i was banded on jan 20th,2011 and have been getting my periods every other month.so my guess is that its normal

Thanks for you're reply B~queen.. But I assure you my girlfriend is not capable of getting me pregnant...

LOL!!!!! I guess if that's the case, you probably have no use for periods anyway!:)

After my surgery, I was late about 2 weeks........and prior to surgery I was never late. I had my first fill appt. and was going to ask my dr. and that morning it showed up. I'm due to get it again tomorrow and I'm wondering if it will be on time. I do think it's ok to be a little screwy after the surgery. Now for more fun, I think my hair is starting to come out :(

Ok I can deal with no peroids.. But hair falling out! What? Baby I would be screaming at everyone until that got fixed ya know...

I'mhappy to know that this being late isn't so unusual thanks everyone for your help

I wish mine hot thrown off from surgery! I got mine right on time 3 days post op :(. It was the only reason I had to take a dose of pain meds that day. A few months ago I started taking b complex and b 6 Vitamins because my mom told me it would help with the severe nausea I'd been getting the day I got my period and it did but it threw off my cycle, instead of getting it every 4 weeks like clockwork like I'd been, it's now like every 5, well thus time it was like 4.5, but what sucks about that I seem to have Pms symptoms longer. Not sure which one is worse. Kind of afraid to stop taking them though because the nausea was so bad I was afraid I was going to throw up and that wouldn't be good for my band, and of course it happens when I had to work and I felt like garbage at work.

My period started 3 days after surgery, even though I was on birth control and it wasn't time for it to start yet.....how fun!!! NOT!! At that time I was using nuva-ring.

Then in late July, I started new birth control and during that had a normal period but haven't had one since then...had a pregnancy test at the beginning of August during my period (a requirement to get an IUD) and haven't started yet....I'm debating getting a pregnancy test, even though I know I'm not..... but I am guessing that between the surgery, weight loss, and new birth control that my body is thrown off and is now whacky....I'm not sad about lack of a period, though!!

Yeah, in the last pre-OP workshop with my doctor, one of the things they said is that women's hormones get all kinds of screwed up from the surgery and weight loss. They said that hormones are stored in our fat, so as that breaks down, we get "extra doses"... and for those of us for whom pregnancy is possible, they said to be extra careful, because all those hormones result in us being extra fertile. They said they have had a not-insignificant number of patients end up pregnant in the first month or 2 post-OP, which is a big no-no.

Ok I can deal with no peroids.. But hair falling out! What? Baby I would be screaming at everyone until that got fixed ya know...

I'mhappy to know that this being late isn't so unusual thanks everyone for your help

Don't worry about your hair. It doesn't fall out, it just breaks. Once your body adjusts to the changes, it stops and grows back.

GOOD NEWS AND BAD, I HAVE NOT HAD A PERIOD FOR 15 MONTHS AND LUCKY ME 7 DAYS AFTER I RECIEVED MY BAND I ALSO STARTED MY PERIOD. GOOD NEWS IS MY hair IS GETTING THICKER AND GROWING LIKE A WEED. MUST BE THE INCREASED Protein. I KNOW IT HAS ONLY BEEN 10 DAYS SINCE I RECIEVED MY NEW BEST FRIEND BUT SO FAR SO GOOD.

That is awesome B~nurse congratulations on 10 days :) and yes I continued with at lest 2 shakes a day because I love the energy, how strong my nails are, and my hair :)