Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hit the 2-year mark August 10th

Well, it's been 2 years since getting the band. I've gone from a size 20 to my current loose size 6. It has not been an easy road; however, my only complication was maintaining patience through the journey. Would I do this again? HELL YES!!!! I'm healthier, happier, and at 50 - I flaunt my stuff biggrin.gif

I have the body and stamina of a 25 year old and am loving every moment.

Do I have advise for others - those that are getting frustrated, losing patience, hitting the dreaded plateau? I've been there and have definitely done that.

Remember, the band is a tool. We really have to work to get the weight off. Find something that you enjoy doing and go for it. I found my niche in swimming and boxing. I didn't know how to swim pre-band and decided to take lessons so that I could exercise without harming my joints. The initial results, I lost 20 pounds and learned how to swim in a matter of 6 weeks. I still take swimming lessons as I want to learn all there is re: strokes and at some point I think I will join an adult swim team.

When I reached one of many plateaus from hell, I decided I needed to shake it up a bit; I signed up for boxing - no, not kick boxing. I've been doing this for over a year now and LOVE IT!!!!

The bottom line, find something that makes you happy and keep moving - walk, bike, garden, run, clean your house - Just keep yourself moving....

Last year (June 2010), I was frustrated as hell. I weighed 172 and was wearing 12-14 jeans and couldn't lose a pound. Well, June 2011 I weighed in at 160 (12 pounds lost over a year); however, I was wearing a size 6-8 - CRAZY!!!!

With this said, STOP watching the scale; yes, easier said than done. With exercise, I was losing fat but gaining lots and lots of muscle. As a result, my body was changing but the scale appeared to stand still. I'm currently in a size 6 jean, some size 4 depending on the brand and weigh in at 154. I've modified my goal several times over these past 2-years.

I made my initial goal of 155.

Am I happy? YES

Do I plan to adjust the goal again? YES

I'm currently shooting for 140 - we'll see how that goes.

I no longer take meds; no more HBP or cholesterol meds for me - I actually stopped both 2 months after band surgery.

Plastic Surgery: Yes, I took the plunge and had a Tummy Tuck (Dec. 2010), which did lots for my self esteem. I've been debating on whether to get the girls done; however, they are constantly changing. They aren't as droopy as the were 6 months ago and it's probably best to wait another 6 months before taking the plunge as I may not need a lift after all. The initial consult was in August 2010, at which time I didn't need a lift. During a follow up visit for the TT (approx 6 months later), I asked the doc what he thought and he said I'd need a lift. Now, they look much perkier and a lift may not be in my future - perhaps small implants.

I've rambled enough, but wanted to share how things have gone for me. I wish you all much success on your journey.

Well, it's been 2 years since getting the band. I've gone from a size 20 to my current loose size 6. It has not been an easy road; however, my only complication was maintaining patience through the journey. Would I do this again? HELL YES!!!! I'm healthier, happier, and at 50 - I flaunt my stuff biggrin.gif

I have the body and stamina of a 25 year old and am loving every moment.

Do I have advise for others - those that are getting frustrated, losing patience, hitting the dreaded plateau? I've been there and have definitely done that.

Remember, the band is a tool. We really have to work to get the weight off. Find something that you enjoy doing and go for it. I found my niche in swimming and boxing. I didn't know how to swim pre-band and decided to take lessons so that I could exercise without harming my joints. The initial results, I lost 20 pounds and learned how to swim in a matter of 6 weeks. I still take swimming lessons as I want to learn all there is re: strokes and at some point I think I join an adult swim team.

When I reached one of many plateaus from hell, I decided I needed to shake it up a bit; I signed up for boxing - no, not kick boxing. I've been doing this for over a year now and LOVE IT!!!!

The bottom line, find something that makes you happy and keep moving - walk, bike, garden, run, clean your house - Just keep yourself moving....

Last year (June 2010), I was frustrated as hell. I weighed 172 and was wearing 12-14 jeans and couldn't lose a pound. Well, June 2011 I weighed in at 160 (12 pounds loss over a year); however, I was wearing a size 6-8 - CRAZY!!!!

With this said, STOP watching the scale; yes, easier said than done. With exercise, I was losing fat but gaining lots and lots of muscle. As a result, my body was changing but the scale appeared to stand still. I'm currently in a size 6 jean, some size 4 depending on the brand and weigh in at 154. I've modified my goal several times over these past 2-years.

I made my initial goal of 155.

Am I happy? YES

Do I plan to adjust the goal again? YES

I'm currently shooting for 140 - we'll see how that goes.

I no longer take meds; no more HBP or cholesterol meds for me - I actually stopped both 2 months after band surgery.

Plastic Surgery: Yes, I took the plunge and had a Tummy Tuck (Dec. 2010), which did lots for my self esteem. I've been debating on whether to get the girls done; however, they are constantly changing. They aren't as droopy as the were 6 months ago and it's probably best to wait another 6 months before taking the plunge as I may not need a lift after all. The initial consult was in August 2010, at which time I didn't need a lift. During a follow up visit for the TT (approx 6 months later), I asked the doc what he thought and he said I'd need a lift. Now, they look much perkier and a lift may not be in my future - perhaps small implants.

I've rambled enough, but wanted to share how things have gone for me. I wish you all much success on your journey.

I so enjoyed reading your story. Really an inspiration! I am 63 and got the band in May. I also stopped needing 3 of my 4 bp meds after about 2 months, and the last med was reduced in half; my cholestoral is now 101!

I just broke a two-week plateau today. It was the first plateau since getting the band. I also experienced my first "being stuck" 2 days ago after my 2nd fill. Lasted about 40 minutes, so had to go back in to get a little taken out. Never want to do that again.

Due to an out of the area emergency, I won't be able to attend my monthly lap band meeting on 'Tues-- where a doctor will be the guest speaker to talk about plastic surgery. Bummer! My stomach is already forming an apron and I am already disguested with it. So I know I will go for a TT, too. How much did it cost to get yours done? What all did it include? How bad was the pain? How long was the recovery? I look at my nude body and would like to be lypo-suctioned from my boobs to my knees! :-)

Anyway, thanks so much for your story, and for anything you want to share further regarding your tummy tuck. Continued good luck!!

I so enjoyed reading your story. Really an inspiration! I am 63 and got the band in May. I also stopped needing 3 of my 4 bp meds after about 2 months, and the last med was reduced in half; my cholestoral is now 101!

I just broke a two-week plateau today. It was the first plateau since getting the band. I also experienced my first "being stuck" 2 days ago after my 2nd fill. Lasted about 40 minutes, so had to go back in to get a little taken out. Never want to do that again.

Due to an out of the area emergency, I won't be able to attend my monthly lap band meeting on 'Tues-- where a doctor will be the guest speaker to talk about plastic surgery. Bummer! My stomach is already forming an apron and I am already disguested with it. So I know I will go for a TT, too. How much did it cost to get yours done? What all did it include? How bad was the pain? How long was the recovery? I look at my nude body and would like to be lypo-suctioned from my boobs to my knees! :-)

Anyway, thanks so much for your story, and for anything you want to share further regarding your Tummy Tuck. Continued good luck!!

Hello!

Congratulations on your success with both ridding yourself of meds and the weight you've lost. I was lucky, my insurance at the time (BCBS MA) paid for everything. I had a tummy tuck, muscle repair and some Lipo without paying a dime. I documented rashes with both the lapband doc and pcp; additionally, I had them prescribe ointments/salves... the insurance stated that they would pay for abdominoplasty or panniculectomy - of course I choose the abdominoplasty. I had the surgery performed just before Christmas and was in the hospital overnight. I stayed home from work for 3 weeks, probably could have returned after 2 wks. The first week is awful. The drains, incision, and the damn compression garment were a nightmare. I was lucky to have the drains removed at my first post op visit - I can't begin to stress the importance of following the doc's orders. I rested and didn't do anything strenuous until he gave the green light. In addition, I up'd my Protein intake 2 months before to help promote healing.

Sad to say, the hardest part was giving up the security of the compression garment. I didn't stop wearing it for months after the doc said I could let it go. It felt better having it on than off as you tend to not want to stand straight w/o it. i gradually weaned myself once the season's changed and the heat aided me in letting it go. Oh, the swelling is another issue. Some days you swell to the point that you look like you haven't had a TT that subsides a couple months or so after you ditch the compression garment.

There are some before/after TT pics in my gallery, this will give you an idea of how much of a change a TT makes. The after pic doesn't do me any justice now as my shape has continued to change - I actually have a waist now with curves...

Contact your insurance and start shopping around for a surgeon. I will tell you that many plastic surgeons don't want to take insurance, don't let them frustrate you. My surgeon told me that I was the first patient he had ever had to get insurance to pay in full.

Wishing you lots of luck.

Conrats you have done incredibly well! As a woman of 50 myself I am excited to hear success stories! My journey has been great so far and I probably will indulge in a TT in 2 years as well .........You are so right about keeping busy and swimming - I have a pool and am dreading winter time9( I do live in SA TX so at leats I have a longer swim season) but then will start my DVDS's which include a little boxing ...........I am not quite ready to get "in the ring" :lol:

Read your story, incredible is all I have to say. I am 63, have lost 100 lbs, and am in maintenance, now. I will have my 2 year anniversary on Oct. 30. It is a wonderful thing to be thinner, but I don't want plastic surgery. I will deal with the apron and such.

Good luck to all and enjoy your new bodies! Karen

Hello!

Congratulations on your success with both ridding yourself of meds and the weight you've lost. I was lucky, my insurance at the time (BCBS MA) paid for everything. I had a Tummy Tuck, muscle repair and some Lipo without paying a dime. I documented rashes with both the lapband doc and pcp; additionally, I had them prescribe ointments/salves... the insurance stated that they would pay for abdominoplasty or panniculectomy - of course I choose the abdominoplasty. I had the surgery performed just before Christmas and was in the hospital overnight. I stayed home from work for 3 weeks, probably could have returned after 2 wks. The first week is awful. The drains, incision, and the damn compression garment were a nightmare. I was lucky to have the drains removed at my first post op visit - I can't begin to stress the importance of following the doc's orders. I rested and didn't do anything strenuous until he gave the green light. In addition, I up'd my Protein intake 2 months before to help promote healing.

Sad to say, the hardest part was giving up the security of the compression garment. I didn't stop wearing it for months after the doc said I could let it go. It felt better having it on than off as you tend to not want to stand straight w/o it. i gradually weaned myself once the season's changed and the heat aided me in letting it go. Oh, the swelling is another issue. Some days you swell to the point that you look like you haven't had a TT that subsides a couple months or so after you ditch the compression garment.

There are some before/after TT pics in my gallery, this will give you an idea of how much of a change a TT makes. The after pic doesn't do me any justice now as my shape has continued to change - I actually have a waist now with curves...

Contact your insurance and start shopping around for a surgeon. I will tell you that many plastic surgeons don't want to take insurance, don't let them frustrate you. My surgeon told me that I was the first patient he had ever had to get insurance to pay in full.

Wishing you lots of luck.

Wow! Just looked at your pics! You look fantastic! What an inspiration! I don't have any rash yet from the apron, but as soon (or if) I do, I'll document; gets meds, etc. Thanks for the info! Even if insurance doesn't pay for it, I want to get Lypo and TT. Did you get any prices in your research (before you got everything for free?!). Super congrats on that fete, by the way. My dr. said the best the insurance co may do is pay partial.