Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone else get a fill on day of surgery?

Hello everyone, I just had my surgery this morning, and he said he went ahead and did the fill already at 3cc's...Is that normal or should I be concerned, or happy?? So far I'm doing great with liquids.< /p>

Thanks for any feedback.

Marla

I don't know if I would be too worried, just keep your surgeon's number handy. There will be a lot of swelling and everyone reacts differently. Plus there is probably some saline in the tubing. So if you have a 10cc band , you are far from a tight fill.

Just be very careful what you eat and remember to chew chew chew! I had surgery 6.1 and then a fill 6 weeks later. At my first fill, my surgeon removed the solution left from surgery. I was a little over 2 cc. I had absolutely no problems after surgery. I have to say I was truly lucky. A very successful and painless recovery. Don't worry too much about the Fluid, just concentrate on your eating, drinking and nutrition. Good luck to you!

Be very happy, but make sure to follow his instructions to the letter. This will give you time to heal and you should find good loss the first month or so. Congrats

My surgeon clearly told me that he left my band completely empty at the time of surgery. I wasn't aware at that time they ever put anything in. Now I'm hearing a lot of people's surgeons put in 2 or 3cc's at the time of surgery. As everyone says, " all surgeons are different in their thinking".;)

My surgeon left mine empty because he wants to wait for the swelling to go down and will evaluate at 4 weeks. I thought that was standard. I guess not.

My surgeon put 3.2cc in my 14cc band during my surgery. He said it helps the band heal in place more easily, and it is less likely to slip. I had no problems during recovery, or since. Mine has pretty much been a textbook case.

Dave

I had 2.7cc at surgery in a 10cc band. All went well and it only took me 2 fills to reach my sweet spot. Congrats on being banded! :)

You will find if you read enough posts on this site that each surgeon has different views on many issues you will encounter. Its nothing to be concerned with unless his advice is causing you pain or not working for you.

Mine was empty on the day of surgery....didnt have a fill until 2 months out. It worked for me but thats not to say a fill wouldnt have been ok too.... best of luck!

I had 4.2 put in in the day of my surgery and I was perfect ! I.had 1cc more put on 2 weeks ago. A month and a half out.since my surgery and I'm down 24lbs!

Wow Thanks for all the replies! Ok this my sound dumb, but what do you all mean about swollen? What part? I still have sum gas pains but it hasn't even been 24hrs since surgery, whn should that go away? I'm going to follow the diet to the T cause I've read horror stories of food getting stuck? I would freak out! Thanks again everyone and I love seeing all the weight loss tickers, I'll have to figure out how to add one :)

Just noticed Bashy611 had the same Dr as me!!! Yay!

Wow Thanks for all the replies! Ok this my sound dumb, but what do you all mean about swollen? What part? I still have sum gas pains but it hasn't even been 24hrs since surgery, whn should that go away? I'm going to follow the diet to the T cause I've read horror stories of food getting stuck? I would freak out! Thanks again everyone and I love seeing all the weight loss tickers, I'll have to figure out how to add one :)

Your stomach tissue will swell inside the stoma (the opening where food passes through) just from the trauma of surgery. The swelling goes down and you find yourself eating pretty normal. Then you get a fill or 2 or 3 and hope you reach a level of restriction where you are satisfied on very small amounts. There will come a time when you get stuck along the way. The band is very crude and reminds you with pain if you don'ty chew well or eat something you can no longer tolerate. In that sense, it's a "learning tool."

Your stomach tissue will swell inside the stoma (the opening where food passes through) just from the trauma of surgery. The swelling goes down and you find yourself eating pretty normal. Then you get a fill or 2 or 3 and hope you reach a level of restriction where you are satisfied on very small amounts. There will come a time when you get stuck along the way. The band is very crude and reminds you with pain if you don'ty chew well or eat something you can no longer tolerate. In that sense, it's a "learning tool."

Thanks for the info, is that the pain I'm feeling? Cause it's swollen? I can't believe I didn't ask how big the band was! I'm gonna call next week and ask, all I know is it was filled with 3cc's but I guess it's not really much of the band can hold up to 15cc...Ugh! I'm so knew at this, can't wait till I have it figured out. I've read that some people have to loosen it cause the band is too tight, How in the world will I know that? LOL

I notice we wnt to the same place to have surgery bit different doctors. i went in for a fill on wednesday and learned i had 3cc in my band, but a i told the nursei always felt as though something was in the band because i have always felt tight, however she went ahead and put another cc in and wow. dont think i will get a fill with my next visit, this is too uncomfortable.

I notice we wnt to the same place to have surgery bit different doctors. i went in for a fill on wednesday and learned i had 3cc in my band, but a i told the nursei always felt as though something was in the band because i have always felt tight, however she went ahead and put another cc in and wow. dont think i will get a fill with my next visit, this is too uncomfortable.

Hi! I was suppose to have the same Dr you had, but I don't know what happened they ended up changing to Dr. Hollis. By uncomfortable you mean you get full too quick or are foods getting stuck? I just tried Jello earlier and OMG I felt it getting stuck, it finally went down but after lots of burping and gurgling. Jello was on the list of food to eat in the first week, I don't know what happened :(