Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need inspiration, please!

Hello fellow Bandsters....

I had my surgery exactly a year ago, on August 19, 2010. I lost 45 pounds immediately, went from a size 20/22 to a 14/16, and from 262 lbs to 215 lbs.

Then... life happened. I filed for divorce and later lost my job. As I know many of you will understand... stress is an eating-inducer. We've all heard, the band doesn't solve the problem, its a tool that you have to work. My ability to work it pretty much went out the window during this extremely stressful and life-changing time.

I had several fills and feel fairly certain that I shouldn't have any more. I'm at about 8.0 in a 14.0 band. Restriction varies from day to day, but I've definitely learned that my stress level so impacts what I can and cannot eat. There are days I can't eat much, and there are days that I can eat way more than I think I should be able to. Since I don't have medical insurance at the moment, I'm not getting fills at the present. I do PB once in a while, usually because I've failed to chew properly.

My life is slowly getting back to normal, and I've gained back some weight. I can still wear my 14/16's, but they are snug. I would guess that I'm somewhere between 230-235 (I'm too chicken to get back on the scale.)

The reason I am posting is because I could really use some inspiration from other Bandsters who maybe found themselves in a similiar situation. My main question is, can I get back on the wagon and begin working the "tool" I have been given in order to lose the rest of the weight that I want, or have I ruined it? Any hints about how to accomplish this?

I'm not fixated on being a size six. I'm a taller, larger boned gal. I'm told all the time that I look good where I'm at right now, and I was able to go off my diabetes meds after the first 20 pounds. For my own personal satisfaction, I would like the first number of my weight to be a "one", which would probably put me at a size 10 or 12, and I'm more than okay with that. So, that's really only another 30 lbs. or so I would need to lose to get to my goal. I have met a wonderfully handsome new man, who thinks that I look fine at my current weight. (There REALLY are men out there who prefer women with curves. Who knew?)

Any advice from someone who has been there would be appreciated. Thanks!

The first thing you need to do is suck it up and get on the scale. You have to know where your at. Not knowing the number is probably going to cause it to go up even more. You need to hold yourself accountable.

The next thing you need to do is figure out what's causing your stress and eliminate it from your life. Your divorce is behind you and you have a new man so that stress factor should be gone. If the job situation is the problem, find another one.

It's never too late to get back on the band wagon. Go back to square one if you have to. I went on liquids for 3-4 days last week and was able to jump start my metabolism and lost about 3 pounds which is huge for me at this point. Track your food and exercise. You are so close to your goal. You should have no trouble getting back on track but you have to be diligent. Make yourself your #1 priority. You can do it!

Hello Media Girl,

First, you know you can always restart with any diet!! We just have something extra to help us stick to the diet.

What you need to ask yourself is this.... Are you emotionally ready to restart. Are you ready to be all about you!!!

When you are ready to be about you and LOVE you... Then your tool with work again.

I have been divorced and left with my three month old son with disabilities. I have brought a house and had that man leave when I could not take care of him and the house anymore. What I realize in all of that is.... I was loving everyone but me. I gave life to everything but me.

At this point I am living and loving me... I suggest you do the same. Do it for you and NO ONE else so when who ever leaves or if they stay... You are still in love with you!!

I have been banded about 6 months to the week. I have struggled a LOT. The day I came home from being banded got served with custody papers! It really put a toll on me. I did great my first 2 weeks on liquids then emotional roller coasters all the way! I told myself I wasnt going to let it bother me and I DID! i gained 10 -15 pounds back and was so ashamed! Finally in June I told my self if i cannot be strong for myself I cant be strong for my son. So i started changing. I had ups and downs with getting fills and puking and PB and all the good stuff that i had to learn but finally I am on track! my biggest goal was getting thru the custody in July with out gaiing any weight! i did it! Today I am taking my weight loss slow. i know it will happen in time for me. but SINCE i started putting my self first and eating how i am suppose to i finally started losing weight! MY MAJOR RULE i found out was dont just wait 10 min for a drink after you eat.. WAIT 30-45!!! i really get full if i dont drink liquids during meals! who woulda thought they wre all right! lol. But since July I have lost 24 pounds and I am holding out strong. I dont eat bread, past, or rice, BUT i do have sweets atleast 1x a week and I am addictied to cheese nachos so I have those about 1x a week too. I figured 5-6 good healthy eating days and 1 bad day aint so bad afterall. it gets me where i need to be!!! GOOD LUCK OUT THERE KEEP US POSTED!