Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercising and Hair Care Relaxed or Natural Hair

<FONT face=Calibri><FONT size=3>Okay ladies when I exercise, my hair is drenched with sweat the process to straighten my relaxed hair after I work out takes 2 hours. Wash, deep condition for 30 min. Roller or wet set ( dry under a hooded dryer for 1 hour to reduce the amount of heat I use on my hair) and then flat Iron. How are you doing it? I think I'm going to have to cut back my work out to 3 days a week and make those my wash days since we're not supposed to wash every day due to dryness. Any advice would help.I am a member of this site </FONT></FONT><A class=bbc_url title="External link" href="http://www.healthytextures.com/" rel="nofollow external"><FONT face=Calibri><FONT size=3><FONT color=#800080>Healthy Textures</FONT></FONT></FONT></A><FONT face=Calibri><FONT size=3> and they give really good advice on hair care but my situation being banded and having to work out regularly is somewhat different. </FONT></FONT>

I don't have the problem, but I got to tell you... I'd be going el natural! Thats a lot of work!

I agree with TKW. That's just too much work. I say go with the 'Fro!

Thanks ladies the idea sounds good, but to go natural I would have to do a big chop and cut off all my relaxed hair once. That’s a big decision…… any woman of any race to make.

I like fake hair. I would get a weave or a wig. It eliminates all of that or me. A nice lace front works miracles! I'm not much of a sweater, but I dont know how people do all the hair maintenace without going crazy!!

@ CheckYes That is a good idea with the bun and pony tail. @Amanda The days you are not working out give yourself a cute roller set or a wrap.

I'm natural and I love it. I do not miss those days of being relaxed. I say go ahead and do the big chop. It may be a little bit of a hassle at first figuring out what works for your hair type but eventually it's totally worth it.

Thanks ladies...I thinking about braiding my hair in micros this weekend and saying to heck with it for a little while.

I was going to suggest you braid it and see how it goes, make sure you are washing though. I have locs so it's pretty easy for me. I feel your pain though, prior to getting my hair locked I too sweat like crazy and wore a pony tail most of the time. Good Luck!:rolleyes:

I think your sweating so much cz of all that heat your putting in your hair. Wash, hot Water then hair dryer then flat Iron, Damn I would be sweating too. Braids, braids, braids. Then when you take it down in 3 months it will be so healthy. Get it done every 3 -4 months for a year and watch how long and healthy it will be.

Make sure you dont cut the braids where you "think" your hair Is but give an extra 3 inches you will be pleasantly surprised.

J

Honestly, if you decide to go natural it will be even harder to keep/get your hair straight after the gym.Forget 30 min, I'm talking 2hrs!! If you want to do the big chop and rock your hair short and in it's natural state (unstraightened) then youll have no problem && it will def.make your life easier.I've been natural for a little over 2 years, and I work out about 6days week, 3 of those days I go 2x a day and after each workout I'm drenched, I found the easiest thing for me are sew ins, they're easy versatile && you can sweat like a hog then go home and co wash your hair without a problem, plus it also protects your hair..even braids would help if you're interested in those...

I currently work out 2 days a week, about to start going 3x a week and I have relaxed hair. I'm choosing to keep it...no natural styles for me! I currently workout on Tues and Thurs (going to start Sunday morn as well)...wash Thursday night and Sunday afternoon. It does take time but it's time I'm willing to devote because my vanity dictates that I work out regularly and keep my hair as I get so many compliments on it. Have you considered dropping the flat ironing and just wrapping it after the roller set? I think flat Iron heat is the worst for your hair...I only flat Iron roots when I'm trying to stretch time between relaxers.

Just wanted to present a side from someone who is making the relaxed hair/workout regimen work!

Defintely a dilema for me!!! I have short, relaxed, colored hair and have come to realize that I sweat really bad in my head when working out. When I am done the curls say find me! :o I have opt for getting a weave, but I am concerned that the tracks might come up quicker than most because I this point in time my hair is not long enough to grip for a sew in.

I'm all for the sewn ins! I salute you natural sistas too!