Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

While everything that has been said previously is true and, I too have had a fairly smooth journey. I think it is important that you look at this from all sides. Plain and simple, the band requires a certain level of maturity.

You say that you do not want to feel a lot of pain. Many of us suffer very little pain - myself included. But pain is subjective, my pain threshold may be higher than yours. This is surgery and there will be incisions that will require time to heal. Hence, there will be some pain. The good news is, the doc will give you meds for the pain. More good news, many people do not suffer shoulder pain, although almost everyone has gas to one degree or another. My shoulder pain was quite painful ... I didn't know it was gas, I just thought they had laid me on my side during surgery for too long. LOL I used moist heat for a few days and started walking and voila! the pain subsided. Taking Biotin should help with the hair loss, but mostly, if you get the proper Vitamins and minerals, Protein, etc., you should be okay. And yes, there are exceptions, you can read about it on this forum. The most important thing to remember about the pain/gas is that it is TEMPORARY. Can you go through a little physical pain after surgery to stop the neverending emotional/psychological pain of living "fat" in a society that discriminates against the "overweight"? But more importantly, can't you get through a little pain to ensure that you have a healthy future? A future without diabetes meds, high blood pressure med, cholesterol meds, sleep apena machines, etc.?

The band is not a miracle cure. It is not a cure at all. It will require hard work and committment to reach your goal. Some, but not many, go through this jouney with relative ease.

At 18 you are the BEST candidate PHYSICALLY. Your skin still has a lot of elasticity. What I wouldn't give for your youthful skin elasticity. (sigh) But, some, at 18, 19, 20 are not ready mentally. Some cannot/will not give up bad eating habits long enough to reach goal. You sound like a very smart person because you are honest about your fears; and you question whether or not you will be able to make the changes necessary to be successful with the band. Keep reading this forum and do your research. You are 18, and if you are not ready, you are not ready. This is for you to decide. There are other 18, 19, 20 year olds here, you should chat with them about their band experience.

As to the answer to your initial question: "Is it worth it?" YOU BET! I have never worked harder to lose weight -- but I love every minute of it. I love the exercise (this was NEVER me), I love not overeating anymore (you KNOW this was not me or else I would not have become obese), I love ME and the way I look in my "new" size clothes. :D I love the confidence I have in myself. I understand that thin or fat life is not a bowl of cherries, but at least being obese is not one of my problems anymore.

I wish you the best, and if you decide to take this journey, remember we are here for you with support, suggestions, and even a reality check when you need it.

Make the choice that is right for YOU.

~Fran

Thank you sooo much fran I appreciate your kind words of encouragement. I think I've made up my mind and want to go through with the surgery. Did you have to do a liquid diet before the surgery?

Thank you sooo much fran I appreciate your kind words of encouragement. I think I've made up my mind and want to go through with the surgery. Did you have to do a liquid diet before the surgery?

Yes, but mine was very short ... about 10 days. It depends on your doctor.

Keep us posted. I can say that this forum is one place where EVERYONE is rooting everyone's success. I like that.

~Fran

Its so worth it in the long run :) i just got banded friday (aug 19th) pain was very minimal and as far as the gas I walked around :) good luck we r all here for you :)

I do Water aerobic twice a week and if and when my weight loss slows down , I can increase the exercise. I don't like walking so you are one up on me there. Good luck.

I'm glad you decided for sure to go through with it! I'm 21 and had mine done in June. For awhile after I was wondering if I made the right decision because the weight wasn't coming off, but once I started getting fills it's slowly starting to, so just make sure that you're patient. Don't give up on it :) It's a very easy procedure. And reversible which was important to me because I am so young.

As far as my exercise goes I've been doing the couch to 5k. It gets you from walking to running. I bought an iphone app that tells me when to walk and when to run. It's mostly intervals which keeps it interesting and done at your own pace. I do that 3 times a week and maybe do something one other day. It's important for your overall health more than actual weight loss. They say that losing weight is 80% diet and 20% exercise. So definitely make sure that you're up and getting some exercise, but it's what you eat that's going to be the most important... that's what I've been really trying to work on. I have a snacking problem... but I had a fill up to 6 cc's yesterday and I'm thinking that might do it... hopefully :)

It is VERY worth it:)

Since getting my band I've been able to stop my high blood pressure meds. I don't need my CPap machine anymore. My knees don't hurt as badly. I have more energy and keep up with my kids.

I really haven't had too much pain and right now I can still eat small amounts of Pasta and bread and not have any weight issues. I wish I would have done it sooner.

The one I have is called get running. I think it was $2. Totally worth it. And the fills mostly depend on you. My first fill she pulled out what little was in there to measure and then put that back in plus a little. She adds a little more each time based on how much I'm eating and how much weight I'm losing. I think the idea is to be able to only need to eat 3 meals that can fit on a six inch plate and feel satisfied with it. She's always telling me to report back to her on whether or not I need Snacks and if so how many. So I guess you would stop needing fills when you are steadily losing about 2 pounds per week :)

Usually,, when you get a fill that keeps you full (GOT TO GET THERE FIRST WITH FILL AFTER FILL PROCESS,) You usually stay full for 4-5 hours, sometimes 6.hours.

But if you are hungry every 1 1/2 - 2 hours, then it's time for you to call your Doc's Office, and schedule a fill'

Go to youtube and look it up, you will see the surgery, and you can look up the Adjustments or Fills.

on the Fills...some people don't get fills. I had my surgery on May 26th and have had two appts since then and didn't get a fill at either and may not at my next one. I eat lunch at 11:30 and usually don't get hungry until like 4:30 -5:00 but sometimes still don't eat until 8.