Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any smokers out there? I have quit in prep for surgery + for myself but it is hard-

If you quit for surgery and stopped for good or picked it back up and side effects...?

I am trying hard -

I was told I had to be not smoking for 6 months or they wouldn't do the surgery. At the beginning it was mentioned that a nicotine test would be given to determine that I was not a smoker but that has not happened. So, I have not smoked in 6 months and my surgery is scheduled for September 7. No more has been said about the nicotine test so I don't know if that was a bluff or what. I know that quitting is the best thing to do, especially since I am starting a new healthy lifestyle. But, I must say, I miss it terribly. It was hard to quit after having smoked for 30 years but I did it and know that it is what is best. You are so right though, it's really a tough habit to break. And I am hoping and praying that I have the willpower to not pick it up again after I get banded. rolleyes.gif

i quit 2 months ago and my surgery was august 15th. i figured if im doing something as drastic as surgery for my health i might as well put the smokes down. the only complication i have had so far is coughing when i was waking up from anesthesia. other than that i havent had too much time to worry about it. good luck

I'm a newb June 30 and I quit for 8 and went back to it.im just back of nerves... Takes Dr apt on 22 august when he tells me that I can work out im stopping doing great with my nutrition therefore time stop I sure can't work out with a smoke in my mouth....hehehe

Yes, I had to quit before they would forward my information to the surgeon to schedule my band. They did give me the nicotine test and I'm thankful that I passed. I know that I need to quit because it is part of the lifestyle change but I did go back to smoking. Hopefully, my time is coming where I just give it up forever. Good luck on your journey

I'm 10 days post-op. I had a cigarette the day before my surgery and had no problems. (I smoke about 5 cigs a day) All doctors that i had during the 6 month pre op of course wanted me to quit smoking but it was not required. My insurance or doctors did not demand that i quit to have surgery. I didn't even know a nicotine test existed. I have not smoked since my surgery mostly because i haven't felt like it but i already have my cravings back.

I quit smoking prior to my surgery on 8/18/2011. This weekend I've had my strongest cravings since the surgery. During these times of strong cravings I just keep telling myself how much I don't need them. I think about all the harm smoking does. But I must admit, quitting is so darn hard.;)

I am a 1/2 - 1 pack a day smoker. I would love to quit! I had surgery on 8/23/11 with no problems at all. Because i am a smoker they did a lung functioning test on me about 2 weeks before surgery. The girl told me she never would have guessed I was a smoker. I go to the gym on average 5 days a week which I know helps my breathing/lungs. I will admit I had a cigarette the day I got home. Since I am 2 weeks post op I havent hit the gym like I was - once I do I am going to really try and quit but right now I felt like I could only di 1 think at a time. I am concentrating on my food intake and healing from surgery. Next I will tackle the smoking issue. Quiting is so hard I really wish you luck!!

weight.png

I found it so hard to quit. I quit on June the 17th. I was so frustrated and really felt like I could not do it. I started riding my bike and would ride it every time I wanted to smoke. I smoked for 15 years. I just took it one day at a time. So maybe you can find something to do to take your mind off of it. I am so happy now that I have quit. I wish you luck with it. You can do it just have confidence in yourself. Hope this helps.

My surgeon will not do a bypass on a smoker but will do a banding. He and I discussed my smoking and it is such a blessing to have someone who is kind and understanding. He said that after I am healed and on the way with my weight loss he will help me with stopping smoking. He said it was understandable that doing both of these major life changing things now would be too hard.