Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone cheated during the pre op diet????

I am having my surgery on Tuesday August 23,2011. I have been on the Diet for almost two weeks as directed by my doctor. I am going crazy with NO Real FOOD!!! I have cheated with vegetables and fish..... Do you think that is bad??? Do you think I won't make it through the surgery??? Please let me know!!! Thanks in advance.

I know that pre-op diets are different with different doctors and you should really try and stick with what your doctor gave you.

However, mine was just low carb for two weeks. It shrank the liver so that the surgeon could get around it. I think you'll be ok with some fish and veggies. I had a little bit of alcohol because my 21st birthday was a few days before the surgery and it was fine.

That's just my personal experience. You should really try and stick with yours as best you can but don't sweat it. Just think of how much weight you'll lose before you even have the surgery!! :)

HI..IM SCHEDULED TO HAVE MY SURGERY TOMORROW!! ( I M GETTING NERVOUSE) I ALSO COULD NOT RESIST NOT EATING ANY REAL food. MY SURGEON PUT ME ON liquids ONLY FOR THE PAST TWO WEEKS. IT WAS REALLY HARD THE FIRST THREE DAYS. THEN IT WENT EASY. I HAVE TO ADMIT I CHEATED A COUPLE TIMES. ( NOT THIS WEEK I HAVE BEEN EXTRA GOOD) BUT THE CHOICES I MADE WERE GOOD. I HAD NO SWEETS, OR CARBS ONLY Protein. I FIGUERED IF I WAS GOING TO CHEAT, I WOULD ATLEAST MAKE A HEALTHY DECISION. OR MAYBE IT MADE ME FEEL LESS BAD ABOUT CHEATING. BUT IT IS REALLY HARD NOT TO HAVE REALY solid food FOR TWO WEEKKS!! I TOTALY UNDERSTAND YOUR PAIN AND FRUSTRATION. I DID LOSE 8LBS... I HAVE READ OF SX THAT ONLY ASK FOR A NO CARB DIET ONLY Protein. I ALSO FIGURED THAT I DIDNT CHEAT THAT OFTEN, AND I STILL LOST WEIGHT...

GOOD LUCK!! LET ME KNOW HOW ALL GOES.. AND DONT BEAT URSELF UP!! YOU FELL, NOW GET BACK UP!

I am having my surgery on Tuesday August 23,2011. I have been on the Diet for almost two weeks as directed by my doctor. I am going crazy with NO Real FOOD!!! I have cheated with vegetables and fish..... Do you think that is bad??? Do you think I won't make it through the surgery??? Please let me know!!! Thanks in advance.

As long as its fish and vegetables I think you will be alright. However, you should finish the complete diet before your surgery though. I know its hard but it works. I was 304 pounds when I started my pre-surgery diet and I had lost 2 pounds by the day of my surgery. I was so excited. So just try to stick with it as best you can. Good luck.

My pre op diet is two Protein Shakes a day and one 500 calorie meal a day so Iam not sure if your cheating or not because for my meal they suggest 4 ounces of broiled meat fish or chicken and 1 cup of steamed vegetables Or a lean cuisine or weight watchers frozen dinner and a cup of garden salad or even 1/2 cup of fat free cottage cheese or yogurt with 1 cup of fresh vegetables or 1/2 cup of fresh fruit. I don't advocate freelancing on your doctors directions but I don't think a phone call to get an o.k. would be out of order just tell them how your feeling and ask if its o.k. as long as you don't go crazy with it every doctor is different but then so is every patient so I would call and talk to him.

I think you'll be ok - just don't do it again. my pre-op diet was 3 Protein Shakes a day plus two lien cuisines per day. It was hard but i never cheated once - thankfully mine allowed those lien cuisines - not sure if i could have done two weeks liquid only but i like to think i could have - who knows for sure. Again, i wouldn't sweat it but then again i would recommend not straying again just to be safe.:o

I drank the 2 Protein Shakes but I ate regular food for dinner instead of a lite meal or another shake. I still lost 10lbs. I'm 3 weeks postop and what concerns me are the people not following the postop diet. I have followed pretty darn close and will for the next week. I'm not starving and I'm not risking damage at this point.

Thank you to everyone who responded to my post..... I am trying really hard to stay on track!!! I have been doing my Protein Shakes and drinking lots of water!!! I was 275 and now I weigh 268. I am losing weight and that makes me feel good!!!

I don't want to do anything to jeopardize my health and the surgery so I am going to be on my best behavior!!!

My surgery is aug 22 and I have to admit I cheated a little too

I was only supposed to have liquids and 2 cup of vegs a day (dry no dress or sauce)

I feel real nauseous at times and have snuck a piece of cheese one day, a few crackers another and a scrambled egg (no roll or cheese ) yesterday, fell off the treadmill tue night and my left knee is swollen, bruised and is kind of draining (like a burn or a blister) no junk, wine or anything heavy just a little bit to keep me from throwing up

I plan to be real good the next 4 days and hope for the best

Do you think the surgeon asks you if you ate? And if you tell the truth will they cancel the surgery?

Or do they know people will cheat and as long as you only have a little is it ok?

I do not have any problem with my liver

If I could have has a lean cuisine for dinner I would have been real happy

have lost 2 pounds and can't stop peeing is this normal every half an hour

and three times at night even though i stop drinking at 8PM

My surgery is aug 22 and I have to admit I cheated a little too

I was only supposed to have liquids and 2 cup of vegs a day (dry no dress or sauce)

I feel real nauseous at times and have snuck a piece of cheese one day, a few crackers another and a scrambled egg (no roll or cheese ) yesterday, fell off the treadmill tue night and my left knee is swollen, bruised and is kind of draining (like a burn or a blister) no junk, wine or anything heavy just a little bit to keep me from throwing up

I cheated and had a piece of ham deli meat but I only get 2 shakes a day and 2 cups of raw veggies and half cup of fruit. NO meals and it's KILLING ME. I thought about having a boiled egg once a day. I mean...how much could that hurt?

I plan to be real good the next 4 days and hope for the best

Do you think the surgeon asks you if you ate? And if you tell the truth will they cancel the surgery?

Or do they know people will cheat and as long as you only have a little is it ok?

I do not have any problem with my liver

If I could have has a lean cuisine for dinner I would have been real happy

have lost 2 pounds and can't stop peeing is this normal every half an hour

and three times at night even though i stop drinking at 8PM

Honestly I was supposed to be on Optifast for 3 weeks prior to surgery and I found it really hard, I did cheat a bit and only lost 5kg come surgery date. I was so worried they would cancel my surgery but luckily they went ahead. The reason most surgeons make you lose weight prior to surgery is to make the surgery less risky by reducing the fat around where they operate.

Nicisbanded

weight.png

hello my doc said food was fine as long as it was 800 calories. this is so the liver wont store fat or carbs turn into sugar. I think most of us cutting 1000 calories daily makes a difference in the body vs 4000 daily lol

I ate regular foods until 24 prior to surgery, then Clear Liquids, then nothing after midnight. If your daughter suggest it try to stick with it, but if you cheated a little before it doesnt mean the surgery cant be done at all.

Ha....if we weren't cheaters we wouldn't be in the situation we are in. I had to do shakes for two weeks...and did cheat....very little. I was fine with it. You will be great!