Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

mental illness and the band

Hi, I'm bi-polar and getting ready to have the band. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with mood swings.

I really don't understand how one would effect the other.

I gotta respond to this and say make sure you have a good doc you see and make sure that you are stable before getting your band because yes you will still have mood swings and the whole weight loss journey can make it good or bad.

I have depression with manic episodes but am not officially bi polar and I noticed that the first 2 weeks after having surgery were bad so just make sure you are stable and have good meds that you can take .

I am not bipolar; however, I do have my own issues. I do have problems with emotional eating and it has definately stalled my progress. My recommendation is to be sure your surgeon is aware of your illness and to try logging everything that goes into your mouth for tracking. I don't know if it will help in the longterm; but, that is what I am trying right now.

Good luck and I wish you well with your band!

My band doc required a full psych exam. Having been on bi-polar meds in the past, I was asked to return for a full eval. While I was managing myself well, going back on my meds was the best thing ever. Happier, stronger relationships and more success in my career. "Smoothed things out" so to speak. It has definitely put me in a great position to handle any challenge, including the frustrating days with the new eating habits. While this worked for me, I can't see how the surgery or changes would have been anything but a help. THe nutrition changes alone have been tremendous in my sleep and well being. GOOD LUCK!

I am bipolar. I had my surgery on May 25th. My mood swings have been ok. I've been very stable though on my meds and have been fortunate enough to not have any manic or depressive episodes. Just take it easy and enjoy the process. You will be happy! Trust me!

I am bipolar. I had my surgery on May 25th. My mood swings have been ok. I've been very stable though on my meds and have been fortunate enough to not have any manic or depressive episodes. Just take it easy and enjoy the process. You will be happy! Trust me!

Thanks Jesse, That makes me feel like I really can do this. My meds have been in control for a few years with just alittle tweaking now and then. My doc. is the best and a great suppor tsystem.

I've no mental disorder that I know of but I've been very up and down on this!!! Got my band 8 weeks ago and still have a no fill, due to cancelations from my surgeon!! I'm sitting her now in tears cos I just got another phonecall to cancel for another week!! I'm very down, I'm worried I'm putting on any weight I lost. I'm glad I only told immediate family and friends cos it's hard even with them asking when your going to lose weight constantly. I've a feeling i'l be like this forca long while yet cos it take a few fills to get a restriction.... Please go to your doctor before hand and discuss this with him, and prepare you self for 'murphys law'! Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong!!!!

I am bipolar and have been stable for about 8 years. I had my psych evaluation done by my own psychiatist which made the stress level go down.

I have had no issues with the band related to mood. My surgeon said sometimes bipolar people have no impulse control, band or no band, but I have not found that to be the case.

I am really losing weight much much slower then expected. Not sure if it the meds (Geodon, Lamictal, Trazadone and Zoloft) or if I am going to be the worlds slowest loser.

Best of luck. Dont worry about it.