Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, my name is Shannon and I'm 27, married, and have two wonderful kids! I haven't had surgery yet but have done a lot of research on this surgery and feel like it is right for me. Monday I am making the call for my first consultation to see if I can get approved. I understand it's somewhat a long process so I'm not expecting to actually get the surgery immediately but I hope to get approved because it's something I have thought about a very long time. I have tried several diets myself with little to no weight loss and it's getting to the point to where its painful for me to just get around. I have been overweight since I was a kid but I am at my highest weight now and have painful joint problems so it's hard to exercise or even to just get the mail. The last time I was weighed I was 319 so that makes my BMI 51. (I'm very open about my weight). I am not looking to get "skinny", I just want to feel healthier and know that I will be here for my children for many many years. I am very lucky to have my husband because he is very supportive as well as the rest of my family. I came across this site a few nights ago when doing research on the surgery and I have to say I have already fell in love. I have found so many answers to the questions I had and I'm looking forward to interacting with others going through the same thing.

Hi Shannon! I am pretty new to this site, too. So, welcome!

Like you, I am collecting lots and lots of info but feeling like this is the way for me. I went to a seminar hosted by the surgeons I want to utilize as recommended by my GP and a co-worker. That was Thursday night-got a packet of info on all kinds of bariatric surgery options. My mother in law had a sleeve procedure done about 4 weeks ago, and is down 46 lbs! Just went for a visit over the weekend and WOW, you can really see her weight loss, and FEEL her relief. She is so glad she had it done. A close family friend had lap band done about 5 months ago and I'm not sure what he's lost, but saw him this weekend and he looks like a new person! You can tell he sure feels like it, too. Ok, I feel like I'm preaching to the choir on this!

My biggest concern is cost, so after I finish up this, I am headed to look for the thread on insurance/pay options. My insurance says no bariatric procedures are covered. But I know I need to call them myself and discuss the whole insurance thing with the surgeon's nurse at my consult when I get that set up. I think in my heart, I know insurance isn't going to cover a dime and that makes me sick. But my health is worth it all, right? I have a 4 year old son, a wonderful husband (tomorrow is 13th anniv.!) and I am at my heaviest- I'm 5'3" and 243 (BMI=43). Like you, I've always been heavy.

And no, skinny is not the point here! It's having the energy my son deserves, it's living longer and healthier. I've never been thin, so I have no idea what I'm missing. But I know I need this tool. I feel like I can't do it all, and alone, anymore. I'm a positive and confident person, but I can feel some of that waning, recently. UGH. OK, I admit, to buy some clothes in a dept other than plus would be super cool!!

I'll be anxious to hear how your journey goes! I will have to try to keep up to date at this site, too.

ALL THE BEST TO YOIU!

Hi Calsmom! Thank you very much for the welcome! I haven't been to a seminar yet but Im looking forward to it definitely. I know a woman that has had the surgery a little over a year ago and she looks amazing but most importantly she says she feels so much better. I have thought about this surgery for years but I didn't feel ready until now. I even watched a lap band surgery that was performed on Youtube. I don't get easily sick so I wanted to know exactly what was going to happen and what was going to be put in my body( if I am lucky enough to get approved). I also watched a video of a "fill" and it wasn't bad at all and thank goodness I have no problems with needles lol.

Luckily my insurance covers most of this surgery (80%) but I am worried about being approved because other than a diabetic diet when I was pregnant there are no other documented supervised diets. I was always told to go on a diet (which I did) but it wasn't supervised. I'm making the call tomorrow to see what all my insurance requires to be approved. I know I meet the BMI requirement and I do have some obesity related issues which are documented. I really hope your insurance will cover your surgery or you will be able to get it somehow because you are definitely right about your health being worth it! I also have young kids, a 3 year old and a 1 year old. It absolutely breaks my heart that I am not able to play with them as much as they need me to.

I hope everything turns out great for you as well as everyone else starting this journey!

Hi Shannon! I am pretty new to this site, too. So, welcome!

Like you, I am collecting lots and lots of info but feeling like this is the way for me. I went to a seminar hosted by the surgeons I want to utilize as recommended by my GP and a co-worker. That was Thursday night-got a packet of info on all kinds of bariatric surgery options. My mother in law had a sleeve procedure done about 4 weeks ago, and is down 46 lbs! Just went for a visit over the weekend and WOW, you can really see her weight loss, and FEEL her relief. She is so glad she had it done. A close family friend had lap band done about 5 months ago and I'm not sure what he's lost, but saw him this weekend and he looks like a new person! You can tell he sure feels like it, too. Ok, I feel like I'm preaching to the choir on this!

My biggest concern is cost, so after I finish up this, I am headed to look for the thread on insurance/pay options. My insurance says no bariatric procedures are covered. But I know I need to call them myself and discuss the whole insurance thing with the surgeon's nurse at my consult when I get that set up. I think in my heart, I know insurance isn't going to cover a dime and that makes me sick. But my health is worth it all, right? I have a 4 year old son, a wonderful husband (tomorrow is 13th anniv.!) and I am at my heaviest- I'm 5'3" and 243 (BMI=43). Like you, I've always been heavy.

And no, skinny is not the point here! It's having the energy my son deserves, it's living longer and healthier. I've never been thin, so I have no idea what I'm missing. But I know I need this tool. I feel like I can't do it all, and alone, anymore. I'm a positive and confident person, but I can feel some of that waning, recently. UGH. OK, I admit, to buy some clothes in a dept other than plus would be super cool!!

I'll be anxious to hear how your journey goes! I will have to try to keep up to date at this site, too.

ALL THE BEST TO YOIU!

Hy you 2, Welcome aboard The BANDWAGON..

Lots of good wishes for the both of you on your journey.

One has joint problem Soreness, hard time getting around.

That's a comorbidity, so make sure you tell your surgeon this.

It will make your Ins. go threw a little better.

Also any urinary incontinence at all? because that's another.

Well again welcome, and say hi to us throughout the forum

Shirley.

Welcome! I knew from the moment I attended the seminar at St Josephs that this was or me. All the classes were so informative. I get banded tomorrow afternoon at 2:00. I'm quite excited. I was asked to list every diet I was ever on. Most weren't supervised. Grapefruit, south beach, even lean cuisine. It all helped. Good luck to you.

I have had joint problems for a little over 5 years but the past 7-8 months have been extremely rough, I avoid steps and hills as much as I can because my knees feel like they are going to give out. I also have back pains. I do have a little urinary incontinence but was told it was likely due to having children. I did not know it could be caused by being overweight but it definitely makes sense, thank you for letting me know because I will definitely bring that up! Thank you for the Welcome, I am really glad I found this forum!

Hy you 2, Welcome aboard The BANDWAGON..

Lots of good wishes for the both of you on your journey.

One has joint problem Soreness, hard time getting around.

That's a comorbidity, so make sure you tell your surgeon this.

It will make your Ins. go threw a little better.

Also any urinary incontinence at all? because that's another.

Well again welcome, and say hi to us throughout the forum

Shirley.

Thank you Bobrocky! Congrats on getting banded, I hope you have a very speedy recovery and have great results! I too did the grapefruit diet, I'd have to say that was the worst diet for me EVER.. not much of a grapefruit fan lol. I also did the diet for heart patients (my dad was a heart patient so I used his diet) and actually lost a little over 30 lbs but gained it all back plus more. Pretty much the only thing Im worried about right now is not getting approved but I understand a lot have the same worry. So I just have to stay positive and trust that if its meant to happen it will.

Welcome! I knew from the moment I attended the seminar at St Josephs that this was or me. All the classes were so informative. I get banded tomorrow afternoon at 2:00. I'm quite excited. I was asked to list every diet I was ever on. Most weren't supervised. Grapefruit, south beach, even lean cuisine. It all helped. Good luck to you.