Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all. I am 3 days post op and I am supposed to be drinking a Protein Shake everyday. I can't get it down. I've been thining them with twice as much Water and it still feels to heavy. I am fine with broth. Do you think it us ok to skip the Protein Drinks until week 2?

Thank you

Personally I would say no. But ultimatelly I would ask your doctor or your nutritionist. Try putting unflavored Protein in your broth.Just make sure the broth isn't to hot or it will change the consistency of the Protein. When you put protein in broth, for me I could taste a difference but it wasn't bad.

Scott

I would keep trying the Protein, you need it. use just Water or broth like the PP said. and drink low, not through a straw, it will make the gas worse.

I couldn't drink them. My doctor said it was fine an that eventually I'd be able to. I felt like you at day three... On day 6 i was able to start drinking the Protein Shakes. Unjury has s chicken Soup flavored Protein that is great... And thin like broth. I would look into that.

Thank you all so much. Day 2 was better than 3. I am so uncomfortable today. Pressure (but no gas) I think its all the swelling. The Protein is just putting me over the edge. I thin it it with 20 oz of Water, but its still to heavy. I will try the chicken flavor and make Soup out of it. Thank you for your suggestions.

Thank you all so much. Day 2 was better than 3. I am so uncomfortable today. Pressure (but no gas) I think its all the swelling. The Protein is just putting me over the edge. I thin it it with 20 oz of Water, but its still to heavy. I will try the chicken flavor and make Soup out of it. Thank you for your suggestions.

I am on my 3rd day , and I am experiencing more discomfort than I did in the first two days also. My lower abdomen is very swollen and it hurts just to stand up. I am able to get some Protein Drink down though. I have a glass of something next to me all day and I am sipping it at the rate of about 4 oz and hour. This seems to be a small sip every five minutes. I am alternating between clear fluids and full fluids. So far today, I have had 12 oz of Protein drinks and 4 oz of blended and strained cream of mushroom soup. My clear Fluid is Crystal Light with benefiber and Miralax mixed in to keep things moving. Maybe it helps that I am drinking these fluids out of my best wine glasses. They are just the right size to hold 4 oz and it makes it just a little more festive.

If you can't get the Protein down your doc shouldn't be too upset! I couldn't drink them either. In my two weeks of liquids after surgery, I finished a 16oz shake ONE time and it took 8 hours!! I gave up eventually. But I also found out that drinking all liquids was giving me bad bad heartburn so I went to soft foods (mashed potatoes) four days early and it was a life saver. My doctor told me the most important thing for the first two weeks is Water and walking. Water heals you faster and walking prevents the blood clots. I haven't had any Hair loss or weakness and I am two weeks post op. I feel 150% better now than I did the first 5 days. It'll get better and you'll feel like a new person!! Stay strong and good luck...

i am on my 3rd dat post op too and i feel worst today and the other 2 days. I am just working on Water and that is hard. I know it will get better

I had my surgery thurs 8/11 and its Sat. i feel worse today than any other day. it wasnt so bad yesterday but today seems to be the worst. i have a very sore I guess pain in my belly. Hurts to stand and to get up and down. Is this normal i called the dr. got a return call from not my dr and he said walk?? is this really better?? Any answers would be helpful, I dont wanna freak out but I feel like BLAH...i did walk and tummy hurt so I am on the recliner..again.

Everyone is different, usually by day 3 you are still swollen inside from the surgery, gas may be shifting causing discomfort or your stomach may be swollen and irritable. Try sipping on warm peppermint tea and keep to warm fluids for 24 hours or so....see if the swelling goes down so that you can start in with your Protein drinks again. Walk, walk and then walk some more. You do not need to do long distances and even if you take 5-10 minute walks at a time aim for a minimum of 30 minutes a day or what ever you can tolerate. It does not have to be done all at once.

Remember the pain/discomfort does go away!

Goo luck and congrats on making it to day 3!

I am at day 6 and I find that I don't SIP like I should and it doesn't seem to bother me. I don't gulp the shakes and I make them thin. I actually had a bunch of the pre stuff left so add a scoop of Protein to it to hopefully help the healing. I don't have a gas issue and I guess I am blessed. BUT I am afraid if I am drinking too much igt may hurt me. Can it or is this okay as it "Slips" thru? I am NOT really hungry either. So the Protein is doing its job. I am visually hungry and could eat everything in site. My family is good but I can't cut three naturally thin (damn them) people off from everything because I CHOSE to get overweight. Therefore I tolerate thngs and try not to touch. I will admit to an indiscretion of a tiny taste which again did not HURT. I was sort of mad. I wanted it to hurt so I wouldn't do it again. My "trigger" as the surgeon puts it is apparently this feeling of pressure mid-abdomen (is there a mid-abdomen on a person of size??)...I am not even sure physiologically where this dang band IS let alone where I shoulod feel it. Am I odd?

Please feel free to email me directly with suggestions as I truly need someone to help me thru this

maryjofundock@yahoo.com

I am glad to find this site!!