Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sharlio, from your fingers to god ears!! I dunno why she got so bent out of shape. Jesus. Now my thread is shut down. Now I'm not one to let stuff go, that's just me. It was my thread. Anyhoo.

I went to the dr and he said that the healing period is 2 weeks. I'm clear to eat solids as long as they are soft. I'm cleared to workout too!! My dr tells me to go easy but that's really about it. So yeah now I'm confused but I will listen to MY doctor instead of different people on here cause obviously we are all being told different things.

Hope all of you getting banded this week have a very good and easy time of it.

I have a question. I am day 6 post op and have no physical hunger. It is all I can do to get in the daily amount of Protein because of my lack of desire to do anything but drink Water. I have battled a couple of bouts of head hunger, but not physical hunger at all. Is this normal or at least have some of you felt this way too?

Hi everyone,

My name is Marebeth and I had lap band surgery last week on Sept 13th. They kept me in the hospital for 2 nights because my blood counts dropped, pain, dizziness and nausea not controlled. Found out that when they did surgery they found I had a hiatal hernia at my esophagus that they repaired because it would have cause the lap band to slip or erode. So I had two surgeries in one. Guess that was good. The pain was horrendous for me. After being home for two days it lightened up some.

So it's been a week since surgery and I have not had a bowel movement. I took Miralax last night but to no avail. Talk to the doctor's office today and they told me to drink more liquids. They want me to take the pain meds if I am in pain but the meds does cause Constipation. Can anyone give me some advice on this?

I'm having a tough time getting all the Protein Drinks and Water down every day - so today I started early. Problem is that I am exhausted and sleeping about 3-4 hours a day from the pain and surgery (I have Fibromyalgia as well) and of course I can't sleep and sip at the same time:) I would be interested in what I can do right now to get me thru the first few weeks.

I'm also interested in a support group in Sacramento or Roseville, California.

Thanks

Mare

Hello. I was banded last Monday, 9/12 and I had my first bowel movement yesterday. I feel your pain. I was adding Benefiber to everything and took some Miralax and nothing happened. My Mama even had to give me an enema! UGH! Still nothing happened! Then yesterday, it just came. So, hang in there, it will come. Are you walking? I have walked everyday since I had the surgery and I think that has helped with everything. Active body=active bowels.

As far as the Protein Shakes and Fluid requirements each day….do what you can. Both my doctor and nutritionist told me that getting 64oz. of fluid and 60 grams of Protein each day are GOALS….not requirements. We are healing and swollen and most of us are dealing with gas pressure so trying to get all that fluid and protein in is not easy, it’s almost impossible. If you are concerned about the protein add 2 tbsp. of Peanut Butter to up the protein count. I make a Protein Shake with 8oz milk (7grams of protein), 1 scoop of chocolate Body Fortress powder (26 grams of protein), and 2tbsp pb (7grams protein)……there’s 40 grams of protein right there and it sort of taste like a pb cup!!

Hang In there! I pray that your bowels move! J

Ok so I'm getting banded in 2 days!! I have been in this program for almost a year and have worked so hard to get where I am. But i'm nervous. Me and my boyfriend of 4 years broke up a week ago today. I have been struggling with heartache and its been terrible. All of my friends and family told me not to cancel my surgery. Its something i've worked so hard for and they are willing to be there for me to help. I just need to figure out a way to mentally focus on myself. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm so scared of what to do and i'm trying to take one day at a time and its so hard.

About 6 years ago I lost 140 lbs following weight watchers program on my own. I felt so amazong anout myself that I just can't explain it. I was do much happier and more confident and I just can't put into words how I felt. My husband did not like that I'd lost the weight and hated how other men looked at me. He kept trying to stop me and he finally got me to cancel my gym membership. To make a long story short, I then had some health issues and had my gallbladder removed folled by a total hysterectomy six months later. Through all that I gained all the weight back plus twenty more. My husband was happy but I was not. We wound up divorcing and my weight played a significant reason. I could not get that feeling unless I lost the weight. The divorce was final last October and here I am today 5days post op and can't wait to get back down.

Do this for you and you'll never believe how happy you'll be. This is a gift you give yourself and is something no one else can give you. Once you have it no one can take ot from you either. You'll even find will be more srawn to you be ause of your confidence and contentment. Don't let your heartbreak take this opportunity from you!

I wish you all could see this huge smile on my face tight now!!!

I just left my docs office for my 1 week post-op check-up... They had me weigh in & I'm down 13.4 pounds in my first week!!!!!

Good luck to everyone getting banded today & the rest of the week! My biggest recommendation - get up & walk as much as you can, as quick as you can after surgery.

Way to go! And thanks for noting we women won't lose as quickly. I'm glad to see successful results from our group. I have to admit I've avoided the scale since my surgery cause I'm afraid. I've been brainwashed into thinking we won't lose during this phase, and although that will be ok - I hope the rest of is can be half as successful

I wish you all could see this huge smile on my face tight now!!!

I just left my docs office for my 1 week post-op check-up... They had me weigh in & I'm down 13.4 pounds in my first week!!!!!

Good luck to everyone getting banded today & the rest of the week! My biggest recommendation - get up & walk as much as you can, as quick as you can after surgery.

That is so awesome! I am happy for you!! I am counting down....32.5 hours till OR! I hope tomorrow goes fast! I fought head hunger bad today... I think i had last meal mentality... I kept thinking i cant eat i cant eat... But then I watched the Biggest Loser and found motivation! I love that show and what great timing for a new season!

Hope all of you getting banded this week have a very good and easy time of it.

I have a question. I am day 6 post op and have no physical hunger. It is all I can do to get in the daily amount of Protein because of my lack of desire to do anything but drink Water. I have battled a couple of bouts of head hunger, but not physical hunger at all. Is this normal or at least have some of you felt this way too?

I got the band on Sept 13 and I've had NO HUNGER either. I keep drinking my Protein Shakes and I seem to keep sipping and sipping even when I don't want to. I am trying to get to my protein counts by the afternoon so I can slow down a little at night. I had headaches last week after surgery but they have gone now. I haven't read anyone talking about the Ketone strips....but I have tested and I am in Ketosis which means I am burning fat.

Thanks for the encouragement! During surgery they found I had a haital hernia and repaired it or else the lap band would have slipped. Doctor said it was like 2 surgeries in one. My whole insides were in extreme pain and I was in the hospital 3 days. My blood counts were low, very nauseated and dizzy plus they couldn't control my pain so they kept me. I got nauseated every time I walked but I kept walking. My pace in walking felt like my 88 year old father in law and I can't go as fast as before the surgery. Working at it. I've also tried to not take the pain meds because they are constipating. Took more Miralax tonight so we will see tomorrow...LOL

I am so glad I know other bandsters from September and we can all follow the phases of our weight loss.

Marebeth,you made me remember having some ketostix so I checked myself this morning. I have never seen my color that dark, so burn fat burn!! I have mine from being on one of the many diets that I have been on that recommended checking ketones.

Marebeth,you made me remember having some ketostix so I checked myself this morning. I have never seen my color that dark, so burn fat burn!! I have mine from being on one of the many diets that I have been on that recommended checking ketones.

What are ketostix?

What are ketostix?

Ketone stix are these little stix that you put under your pee first thing in the morning. They recommend the mid-pee...lol. If you are in Ketosis the little pad on the stix will change colors to show how strong it is. The darker the more the fat burn, so I am told. It's imiportant to get plenty of fluids because ketones are tough on the urinary tract system.

You can buy Ketone stix at Walgreens, Walmart, Rite Aid, CVC or most other pharmacies. I've been on Atkins and they say to measure Ketones to make sure Ketosis is working and burning fat. So I remembered the other day and thought I'd check and YEA I am in ketosis. Actually most of us should be. since we are on low carb anyway. I know with Atkins it's low carb and high Protein with some fat.

They ae actually made for checking ketones in urine mainly for diabetics that can have a dangerous condition known as ketoacidosis. However, for a person on a very low carb diet they can be used to see if you are burning fat cells which creates ketones in the urine and known as ketosis. There are different trains of thoughts on whether it is a good state to be in, and you can find supporting arguments for both sides all over the net. Oh, and for what they actually are, little white plastic sticks that you dip in urine or pee on to see the little square on the tip of it change colors.

I want to encourage you to "JUST DO IT". This is about you, putting YOU first and you won't regret it. I was approved for lap band 4 years ago, didn't do it cause I had lost 40 lbs thinking I was doing pretty good. Then almost 3 years ago I broke my back and went through a horrendous rehab after wearing a full body brace for 5 months and a hospital bed for a year. I had already started YO YO dieting again and started gaining weight back....yes, all that hard work down the tubes. So last year I went back again for lap band surgery, got approved in 3 weeks, again. but the timing was wrong. I've been traveling back and forth from CA to Texas on court hearings (high stress) and couldn't figure out a good time for me to stay home for a month to get it. My diet was again going YO YO.....I did this for me......it forces me to change my lifestyle habits on eating. I am committed to doing this, following the rules and exercising. It has been a wake up call for my husband, who is obese as well and he's on a diet with me. He's lost 30 lbs on his own and FINALLY I had to go thru surgery to get his support cause I didn't have it before. You will be so proud of yourself, I am proud of myself, because there is only GREAT things in store for all of us. Does pass this awesome window of opportunity by and dare to open yourself up to a wonderful new life forever!!

And if your boyfriend left, so be it.....he doesn't know what a blessing in you that is about to happen. A better guy will come your way and he will be a person that will support you in your journey.

Marebeth

Thank you for the encouragement! wow that must have been so hard for you to go thru!! Glad you made it thru and are doing so well! I am going forward with the surgery tomorrow for myself and for my son and I know it will make me a stonger, healthier person! 1 more day!!!

About 6 years ago I lost 140 lbs following weight watchers program on my own. I felt so amazong anout myself that I just can't explain it. I was do much happier and more confident and I just can't put into words how I felt. My husband did not like that I'd lost the weight and hated how other men looked at me. He kept trying to stop me and he finally got me to cancel my gym membership. To make a long story short, I then had some health issues and had my gallbladder removed folled by a total hysterectomy six months later. Through all that I gained all the weight back plus twenty more. My husband was happy but I was not. We wound up divorcing and my weight played a significant reason. I could not get that feeling unless I lost the weight. The divorce was final last October and here I am today 5days post op and can't wait to get back down.

Do this for you and you'll never believe how happy you'll be. This is a gift you give yourself and is something no one else can give you. Once you have it no one can take ot from you either. You'll even find will be more srawn to you be ause of your confidence and contentment. Don't let your heartbreak take this opportunity from you!

Thank you so much! I am going forward with this tomorrow and I'm nervous and excited but I know that I'm strong enough to get thru it all. I'm so happy I found this website to be able to talk to others that are going thru this as well.

You are all great! Good luck to everyone with their upcoming surgeries

Thank you so much! I am going forward with this tomorrow and I'm nervous and excited but I know that I'm strong enough to get thru it all. I'm so happy I found this website to be able to talk to others that are going thru this as well.

You are all great! Good luck to everyone with their upcoming surgeries

Take care, Jill. So glad you decided to have the surgery. You'll be in my prayers tomorrow. I know you'll do great! Let us hear from you as soon as you feel like it. Peg