Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone else had to do a laxative the day before surgery? My doctor doesn't demand it but recommends it and being the rule follower I am, I did it. I hope to never have to drink a bottle of Magnesium Citrate again. That being said, I am psyched for my surgery tomorrow.

3 days before surgery i need to be on a full liquid diet. During the first 2 days, if i don't have a bowel movement, i was told to take dulcolax at the end of those 2 days (24 hours before surgery).

Has anyone else had to do a laxative the day before surgery? My doctor doesn't demand it but recommends it and being the rule follower I am, I did it. I hope to never have to drink a bottle of Magnesium Citrate again. That being said, I am psyched for my surgery tomorrow.

Was required to drink the Mag Citrate. OMG - it was horrible. I'm happy I planned on staying home all day, because if I was out somewhere when I had an 'episode' - i would have been in trouble! Well - the janitor cleaning up after me would have been in trouble for sure!

I didn't do magnesium citrate by choice. lol That was the doctor's recommendation. And after relooking over my paperwork for today and the next two days, it was listed on the to do list, so I guess it is mandatory after all. Got my night shower with the Chlorhexadine soap and will do it again in the am as per the instructions. Am ready to get this show on the road.

Eric I see you posting, how are you doing?

Was required to drink the Mag Citrate. OMG - it was horrible. I'm happy I planned on staying home all day, because if I was out somewhere when I had an 'episode' - i would have been in trouble! Well - the janitor cleaning up after me would have been in trouble for sure!

LOL!!

I am a "coward # 1" , and every detail scares me.

Did you feel being intubated? How did you breath after the anestesia ?

Any sharp pain? Nausea ? How would you describe your pain 1 to 10 ?

Those whom I 've asked, had surgery 3-5 years ago and don't remember a thing. BUT... they all lost from 120 to 200 lbs. Pretty encouraging.

I was banded yesterday so it is fresh in my mind, lol. They won't intubate you until you are asleep in the operating room. I breathed just fine when I came out in fact I have sleep apnea and they were going to keep me overnight in the recovery room but they said I was breathing so well that I went to a regular room. I don't have any sharp pains but I am pretty sore where my port is and where my stomach is but no pain at any other incision sites. It isn't anything the lortab isn't helping out :). The only time that is really painful is getting in and out of a chair or bed. Walking is not bad and relieves gas really well. I have been nauseated though and so eating isn't fun but I haven't thrown up and they gave me medicine for that at the hospital. You will be all good and the benefits will outweigh the negatives :) Good luck!

I didn't do magnesium citrate by choice. lol That was the doctor's recommendation. And after relooking over my paperwork for today and the next two days, it was listed on the to do list, so I guess it is mandatory after all. Got my night shower with the Chlorhexadine soap and will do it again in the am as per the instructions. Am ready to get this show on the road.

I was banded yesterday and when I told the dr. I did the magnesium citrate that the nurse gave me and he said he doesn't give the magnesium citrate for lapband but for gastric bypass. I was annoyed because that stuff was no joke! Good luck!

Mine was yesterday too! I have been pretty nauseas too. Whenever I drink anything I am nauseated but haven't thrown up of dry heaved. They said to listen to my band even though it only has 1.5 cc's fill in it with the swelling it can make me nauseas. Also the lorcet can make me nauseated so I am drinking what I can but not being able to drink a lot for now. COngrats! So glad to be on this side of the process. :)

The nutritionist was surprised at how well i was tolerating liquid. She said if i felt i could tomorrow to go ahead and start on full liquid. I can't wait for some strained soup! But, i don't have anything in my band yet so that might be the difference.i'm with ya though...so happy to have it done. Take care of yourself!

Thanks SDBandit. Are you doing ok today? So many good posts about after surgery has made me much calmer about the whole actual surgery part.

Am up and getting ready to be at the hospital at 11 am. Will be spending one night and don't have a smart phone, so I will check back in tomorrow and let you all know how it went.

I was banded on September 1st. I only had one week pre-op Protein diet. Now it's day 14 and I do feel better. Heading on to soft foods this week. Did pureed foods last week, so I really glad to be starting to eat more regular foods. I have had some horrible neck and shoulder pain, and the doctor does feel that it was brought on by either too much liquid or too cold liquid, so beware out there that when they sip all day long, that is exactly what they mean. No chug a lug going on, just sip sip sip. I'm finally starting to actually feel hungry and food is starting to taste better. Little did I know that by being banded it can change the way food tastes.

The gas is still an issue. And I'm not talking about the gas from the surgery itself, but just plain body gas. All I do, all day long is either pass gas, or burp and burp and burp. I sure do hope that goes away soon! I know I'm not getting near enough protein or liquids in. The doctor recommended that I get at least 60 grams of protein a day with 64 ounces of Water a day. I don't think I've gotten but about 30 ounces of water down, and maybe only around 30 or so for the protein as well. The Protein Shakes were a problem and they tasted horrible. I got the protein shakes from the doctors office because they recommended them because they have 20 grams of protein but also 6 grames of Fiber per serving. It was flavorless powder and they told me I could add any suger free product to the shake to make any flavor I wanted. However, anything really cold and the shoulder and neck pain rear it's ugly head!! I ended up in the ER because the pain was so horrible that I couldn't breath or talk or anything other than experience this horrible pain. It finally went away, after they ran test after test and said nothing was wrong. Doctor stated it was probably the Vagus nerve acting up from either all the gas, muscle spasms from the stomache that cause the band to rub that nerve and cause the pain to be on the left shoulder and neck. Believe me I do NOT want tha pain again, and do everything I can to make sure it does not happen.

I only eat about every 4-5 hours because if I try and eat any sooner the pain comes back. I am losing weight, and am happy about that, but do realize that the first 6 weeks are for healing and NOT losing weight. If I continue to lose weight then great, and wonderful but that's not my first goal at this point. My first goal is to make sure that my incisions are healing nicely and I can start to eat more regular foods without any issues. I am going to my doctors today and hopefully will be cleared to start back to the gym. Now that would be great, and walking on the treadmill is going to really help with the issues of having no energy at all! Most days I feel like I coul take a nap in the middle of the day, and if it wasn't for the fact that I work a mid-day shift I would take a nap too.

Thanks SDBandit. Are you doing ok today? So many good posts about after surgery has made me much calmer about the whole actual surgery part.

I am feeling better and better. Still sore but okay. So excited for you! Rest as much as you can in the hospital and WALK even though it feels horrible to get in and out of bed my gas hasn't been bad at all, only a couple times it has hurt but I haven't had any gas pains in awhile. Good luck!

The nutritionist was surprised at how well i was tolerating liquid. She said if i felt i could tomorrow to go ahead and start on full liquid. I can't wait for some strained soup! But, i don't have anything in my band yet so that might be the difference.i'm with ya though...so happy to have it done. Take care of yourself!

That's awesome to be able to start some soups! I am on Clear Liquids this week and next, blah. Last night I slept in one of the recliners on the end of our couch because it wasn't comfortable to be flat in our bed. How has sleeping been for you?

from my blog today:

I got my PB2 today. Adding it to my Protein Shake makes a nice peanut butter/chocolate flavor. Cause I'm getting bored of just plain chocolate and vanilla. At GNC, they suggested adding cinnamon. Now that also makes a nice change to the flavor!

It is a quiet day. I think I'll take a walk. I have a bit of shopping to do later today and a therapy session on my relationship to food. It's complicated, that's what I'm finding out. It does no good to get a band and then still struggle with the same old food issues that have caused me to become obese.

Sometimes it seems like too much. This is lot of weight to loose. I've tried it before. What makes me think it will be different this time?

A friend gave me this Bible verse: "For whatever was thus written in former days was written for our instruction, that by [our steadfast and patient] endurance and the encouragement [drawn] from the Scriptures we might hold fast to and cherish hope." Romans 15:4 AMP

I need endurance and hope. Both have to come from God. That is my prayer for today, that the God-who-loves-me, Yahweh, will give me endurance for the race and hope for the finish!

Today I can eat eggs. I'm beyond excited. I had oatmeal today, one envelop and I am so stuffed I can't believe it. Ugh!! I feel like I ate a whole plate of food. So just 2 eggs tonight. I've lost like half a pound. The scale isn't budging. I know, healing. I just don't know how healing stops weight loss but ok.

Doing pretty good. Doing lots of little walks today to get that air moving around inside me. It's pretty uncomfortable. But I keep looking at the silver lining in this... A few days of pain/being uncomfortable is what I have to go thru to lead a healthier life - I'm so very good with that!