Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help, I'm freaking out

I am a few hours away from my LB surgery and I am freaking out. Am I making the right decision? Am I being selfish? Will I be able to ever eat anything besides chicken broth and Jello? I am so scared and am thinking of not going tomorrow. I know this is just fear, but I would appretiate anyones experience. What type of things can and can't you eat now? Can you feel the band? Are you in a lot of pain.

Thank you

You are going to be fine. It's normal to have a little panic before you have surgery but it will be ok.

I don't eat chicken broth OR Jello. In fact, I eat healthy fresh fruit and veggies and grains. I occasionally have a frozen yogurt - but only as a treat really. I can eat everything I used to eat without any problem. I don't have any fill in my band and I hear some people have trouble with bread or dry chicken but not everyone does. I can guzzle Water no problem.

I cannot feel the band. I can feel my port through my skin but I have also lost 85 pounds so it is a bit closer to the surface than when it was placed.

I had minimal pain. I used the liquid prescription pain medication the day after surgery and then the next day I used Tylenol. I haven't needed any pain medication or had any band related pain since. The worst part of recovery, for me, was just remembering to be gentle with my incision sites. I felt great and needed to remind myself I had just had surgery! Also, I had a pretty substantial headache off and on the first few days but that was resolved by drinking a small amount of low sugar apple juice. Be prepared to wonder what on earth you have done to yourself on day 2 or 3 - it will be a fleeting thought and most of us have gone through that. I found that having a positive attitude made my recovery time so much better and faster!

You are going to be ok. Read through some of the lap band success stories in the forum - there is a specific thread for them.

Best wishes! Let us know how you are!

You will be fine. I had a major anxiety attack the day of surgery. My surgeon told me he would be worried about me if I WASN"T anxious! I don't eat broth or Jello either. As for the pain, I have had 3 c-sections so this was a walk in the park. You will wonder why you did not do it sooner. I can eat anything, as long as I take small bites and chew, chew, chew. I choose not to eat Pasta, breads or sugar. But that is by choice. I have taken a few bites of toasted bread but that is it. I really don't crave it anymore. I have no pain. But like checkyes I can feel my port. Good luck!

I didn't get nervous at all until I was wheeled into the operating room. Then I took a few deep breaths and thought, 'This too shall pass'. And it did. I'm less than 2 months out from surgery, 18 lbs lighter, and feel great! The surgery was really not bad at all. The worst problem was gas pain in my shoulder but I had medication that helped. I had enough for 3 days and took less than half of it.

I can eat pretty much anything I want to but I choose not to. I choose to eat healthy. I choose, repeat CHOOSE to eat healthy. And I feel great! My 2nd fill has made a big difference and I hope my 3rd will be the sweet spot. I have no regrets.

HTH

Thank you all. You have helped more than you know. I'm off to the hospital now. Wish me luck.

You will do great! Nothing to worry about! Dr. Goldstein is a great surgeon. Your pain will get MUCH better with every passing day. Just remember to get up and walk ASAP. And walk when you can to disperse the gas. Good luck to you! Let me know how you make out!

Good luck! You're going to do great!

I'm home and have been resting for a few hours. I am feeling surprisingly well. Dr Goldstein is wonderful and so is the staff at Virtua Marlton.

Great to hear you made out well!! Stay in touch!