Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Keeping Lap Band a Secret

Hi all! I am having surgery next week and decided to keep it a secret from my friends and family..even my kids..i'm afraid if it doesnt work i'll be embarrassed. Can I hear some success stories and what should I expect ?

I was the same way about not wanting to go public and we all have our feelings about that.

I eventually told my teenagers the day before my surgery in case something happened to me in surgery and I told one or two close co-workers including my boss and of course my husband but there are still people I haven't told because my personal choices aren't their business. Good luck to you

I also opted to keep it from everyone. The only one that knows is my DH because he had to take me to the hospital and pick me up. I am glad I told him because at east I have 1 person to talk to about it. I did not tell my 2 daughters (ages 19 & 24) mainly because I didn't want to put the burden on them of keeping it a secret. One woman at work knows too.

I have to say I am SO glad-really glad I didn't tell evryone. The weight loss has been a lot slower than I ever imagined. I feel a olt less stress not having to worry what others might think about my weight loss. This is MY journey-not theirs. I will tell my daughters and my mother once I have lost around 50-60 pounds, but I don't plan on telling anyone else.

Many people think this is the easy way out and that is so far from the truth! It takes a lot of work and determination and I want credit for all my hard work. I don't want people to say "Oh she had WLS that's why she lost the weight."

You will need to be very patient until you have the right amount of fills and start feeling the true effects of the band. Good luck to you!

I did the same thing...I only told 1 family member and thats because 1. My family is messy, they spent many years talking about my weight gain, so I felt they needed no part in my weight loss..I live in a different state from them, so next time they see me, I will be a new me and they can kiss my new booty lol..and @. I told the one family member because I felt if something did happen, I really wanted someone back home to know the facts. So far, no fill yet, had surgery on July 5th and I am still amazed I have lost weight without being filled, looking foward to the fill, no date yet but I am figuring probably be mid aug when I get it. So dont feel bad your family doesnt know just watch the amazment in their faces when they see the new you. I am going home in October, I wont be at my goal but I know there will be enough weight loss for them to drop their jaws lol.

Ann

Hi all! I am having surgery next week and decided to keep it a secret from my friends and family..even my kids..i'm afraid if it doesnt work i'll be embarrassed. Can I hear some success stories and what should I expect ?

Wow! I feel like I'm the only one who shared it with the world! lol I told everyone -- even people I don't know personally because I posted it on my Facebook page. I've had nothing but positive responses to it and a lot of support!!

I'm only 2 weeks post-op so I can't say much as far as success but please tell people. You shouldn't feel ashamed that you're taking steps to take your life back and get healthier.

SHOUT IT FROM THE ROOFTOPS -- And if they don't like it, they can kiss your soon to be shrinking ass! Hugs.

I have told all of the important people in my life, but I do believe it is a personal choice. I needed the support and I knew I would get it from the friends and family that I told.

There are few that i haven't brought it up to and it is because I feel they would be judgmental.

My kids, 15 and 10, are my biggest supporters and I don't know what I would do without them. Again, everyone needs to do what makes them comfortable.

Good Luck and if nothing else, you know you have us to support you!

There are two people who knows about my choice to have lap band surgery. The first to know was a co-worker, only because she was in the same weight loss seminar as me (I wish I had waited to go to another to miss seeing her). At first it was cool because she has the band and is changing to the sleeve, but now I wish she didn't know because she has told me a few of the people she know that has the band, and eventually she will add me to the list and tell others. And the other is my mother and the absolute only reason I told her is because I needed a ride from the hospital, if I could have afforded to taking a taxi to and from I would have.

I have only told my 5 best best girlfriends about it, my partner at work (I work on an ambulance, and he's a good friend and spends 12+ hours a day with me!), my husband, mom and cousin. I haven't told everyone, especially work people because 1)I don't want my work knowing until afterwards, and 2), i'm not really open to harsh judgements. No one really knows what my battles are and why this will work for me, kwim?. I'll be taking 3 months off work from sept till dec, due to school so i'm super apprehensive because I know there will be a big difference when I go back (even if it's only 30lbs, it will be obvious on my frame), but i'll tell people then. I definitely can't announce on FB at all unless I want everyone at work to find out.

Oh, and it's not because i'm ashamed, it's the fear of failure or lack of meeting other peoples expectations!

I have only told my husband, parents and 1 friend, Im not ashamed I just don't want to hear other people's opinion, I live in a area where no one has a lap band. I'm actually typing this in the airport waiting for my flight, my surgery is on Friday!!!

I have told several coworkers. Most of them are quite supportive. Management is acting as if this a cosmetic procedure and it is really inconvenient to them for me to be out. The one person who is the most supportive at work is the other person who has exactly the same job I do. He had it done about 5 years ago, and I can really discuss this with him in detail. Good thing because we work together very closely.

I have also told all of my family. I had a discussion with my 15-year-old granddaughter, who lives with me, explaining that while I have nothing wrong with me at this time other than being overweight, that will not remain so if I do not do something about the weight. I told her I plan to be around a long time for her, and that is why I am being proactive about my health. I quit smoking a few years ago, work out religiously, and eat healthy food. I just have an issue with Portion Control.< /p>

Hearing you say that makes me feel much better. I also am scheduled for surgery next week and have only told my husband. I do not want to be the topic of conversation at my parent's or my children's homes. I am sure that they have discussed my weight issues enough without adding new weight related topics. I do not think I could ever tell the people I work with. I am afraid that this too will be a failure and will subject me to further ridicule only this time they can add in the financial part.

Good luck with your surgery next week. Who knows, in six months we both may be able to share our secret with those around us. But until then, mums the word. :)

I told my wife when I made the decision to attend a seminar. I told my parents and my mother in law when I was 2 weeks out and starting the liquid diet. I would be at Christmas dinners at their houses and was hoping to avoid comments about why I was not eating. They were very good at keeping it low key.

I told my 2 sisters about 8-10 weeks after surgery when they were asking how I had lost so much weight. That was all I told or plan to at this time.

My mother told me just last week that she had told my aunt and cousins all about it. She decided that because they were all overweight that she could tell them. I don't get that logic but whatever. Whats done is done. They are all gossip mouths so I'm sure my secret will be known by everyone soon. My aunt works at my PCP's office and I was actually thinking of changing doctors so she wouldn't have access to my medical records and have a chance to find out and start gossiping about it. Oh well. No need to now.

I am learning that there is nothing to be ashamed of. If fact I should be proud instead of working hard and being in better shape. This is the first year in almost 25 years that I am beginning to feel comfortable enough to swim in my pool without a shirt on. I have noticed a few glances at my line of scars but have not had any comments yet except from my 9 year old daughter. I think people notice more than my scars that I don't have a spare tire of fat hanging over my pants instead which is nice.

I am right there with ya, I have told the truth, once someone notices and ask how, I tell them. Most of the time I get positive responses, and for those who give me grief...WELL.....POO on them,:P I did this for me and my health. All of my family and friends have been very supportive. I have no secrets.

Good Luck to everyone :lol:

Wow! I feel like I'm the only one who shared it with the world! lol I told everyone -- even people I don't know personally because I posted it on my Facebook page. I've had nothing but positive responses to it and a lot of support!!

I'm only 2 weeks post-op so I can't say much as far as success but please tell people. You shouldn't feel ashamed that you're taking steps to take your life back and get healthier.

SHOUT IT FROM THE ROOFTOPS -- And if they don't like it, they can kiss your soon to be shrinking ass! Hugs.

I'm scheduled to have surgery on the 25th. I have told only my husband, kids, and parents. A few close friends and my boss. My husband and kids are my biggest supporteres. Good luck on surgery!