Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you do the Lap Band Surgery again?

My hubby and I are going for our seminar tomorrow night at Ellis Hospital and I was wondering if anyone had the choice would you get the Lap Band done again? Looking for the pros and cons. Thanks!

Without a doubt, I would do it again!

Yes and no, but leaning more towards no. While I've lost 100lbs+ flawlessly and for right now my band is "okay," the revision and failure rates of Lapband continue to soar and some of the stories I've come across have been scary, to say the least. It seems that after a few years out the band starts causing all sorts of problems and while I went with Lapband due to the fact that it's irreversible, some of the damage it causes isn't so..reversible. However, I wholeheartedly believe that the less you mess with the band (fills/unfills) the less chance you have of experiencing any negative consequences. I have no fill so I guess time will tell.

In the end I do credit the band for somehow kicking me in the a$ and making me learn how to eat and live like a normal person does. I don't eat extremely small portions nor have I cut any type of food from my diet. Somehow the band made me want to learn about nutrition and weight-loss, and if I knew from the getgo that it truly is as simple as calories in vs. calories out, I'd have never sought surgery.

Either way, hopefully the seminar is informational for you and your husband! The band is a good surgery but in my opinion not the most ideal one, either. Good luck whatever decision you make.

I would, wish I would have done it sooner.

Absolutely! My husband is scheduled for tomorrow morning - I am hoping it all goes well for him. I have tried to prepare him for all of the "bad" things with the lapband. I had to prepare myself to "take care" of him - he is the biggest baby when he is ill - so my next week is going to be really fun :rolleyes:

Yes, I still would have done it. I feel it was the first step in taking control of my weight and not letting it control me. I still have to watch what I eat, I still have to make decisions about exercise, calories in/calories out, and I've had to make lifestyle changes. It was all worth it.

Absolutely, without a doubt, YES!!! It's the best thing I've ever done for myself! I'm a completely different person than I was two years ago, and without the aid of the band my life would be very different. I probably would've tipped the scales at over 400 lbs by now (my highest was 374), and would be looking at a very low quality of life. Since the band, I've no doubt increased my life span, I'm off all my medications, my PCOS is gone and I have a much higher chance of getting pregnant. I love exercise, I can go places with friends and not worry about keeping up, I can go to an amusement park and not worry about fitting in the rides, and I can shop in any store I choose! :) The few blips I've encountered (like getting stuck and not being able to tolerate certain foods) are nothing compared to the life I've gained. If I had the chance to go back and time and make the decision again, I wouldn't even give it a second thought. I'd hop up on that operating table and go through it all again!

With out a doubt..... i would do it again tomorrow.

if you both get it done, don't get upset when he loses faster than you.... because he will....it's just the way it goes.

Wishing you both all the best of luck....

I wish I had done it sooner.

I would do it again in a heartbeat! I have already prevented full blown diabetes and my cholesterol levels are normal.

If I can live a little bit longer on this earth with my kids then it was all worth it!

Remember the Lap Band works differently in everyones body. Some people may not be able to tolerate it, afterall it is a foreign object!

I haven't gotten the band yet but I sm in the process of it. I chose the band for several reasons, according to 3 different books I've read that explains each of the surgeries with pros and cons. The pros of the LB far outweigh the pros and conscof the other two types, gastric sleeve (gb) and the RNy ! Most of the people who get the band have no problems with it and when you learn how to work w/ it, it is very beneficial!

Reasons I choose the LB over the others:

1) noone is messing w/ my organs! No cutting, stapling, reconnecting of the original design.

2) the LB is the least invasive and requires the least hospital stay time afterwards.

3) the % of weight regain is lower than that of the other 2 surgeries. With the other two, the belly can be stretched out after many years while the Band continues to provide restriction.

4) It is reversible (removable) if there are other

complications that result: ie stomach cancer or something like that!

5) while the LB does require additional visits to the Dr for fills/unfills, the other two require a couple followups and it's done- now up to the patient. The rapid WEIGHTLOSS for these 2 are too quick, and most of the time require plastic/cosmetic surgery later. I'd rather be continually monitored by fills/unfills regularly than to be done after a couple followup appts. In addition, losing the weight more slowly allows for the skin to catch up and thus prevents "less of a chance" for skin removal surgery! Not alwYs but most of the time!

6) the LB is becoming more popular than the other 2 surgeries. The RNy is the most expensive, and most dangerous simply bc it is rearranging the order of how your food is designed to be digested (routing process). The LB is the 2nd most expensive but has longer term lasting effects.

Ok so there may be 2 reasons in my #5 but hopefully u get

it. Like I said, the L- band does work differently in everyones body , it may not be the right choice for that person! It really depends how u think u can succeed and w/ which surgery u think u would benefit most from. I have read 3 books so far and all are highly praising the Lap Band thus far! Hope it helps!

I had the band put in on mar 18 11 and I've lost 65 lbs so far but let me tell you my history I'm 5 7 female and weighted 261 so Iam very happy and yes I'd do it again I actually am afraid to ever be without the band over weight since 1995 and I exercise every single day watch what I eat etc...sometimes I look in the mirror and I can't believe what I've achieved...happier than I've ever been

My hubby and I are going for our seminar tomorrow night at Ellis Hospital and I was wondering if anyone had the choice would you get the Lap Band done again? Looking for the pros and cons. Thanks!

yup! I would do it all the same way! I love my band. I am restricted, but I can still eat! I don't allow food to run my life anymore. I know what I can eat, and what I can't . I've learned how to stop before I'm full. Heck, I've learned what it feels like to be comfortably full. It's one of the best decisions I've made for myself.

Good luck with your decision!

Banded 11/9/10 - down 72# - would I do it again? Probably, maybe, oh who am I kidding YES YES YES! Best thing I have ever done for myself.

I was wondering if anyone had the choice would you get the Lap Band done again?

Yes. In a New York minute!

Dave