Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Leaking Lap Band port anyone?

I wanted to ask how many of you have had a leaking Lap Band port? What if anything was done to resolve this? Did you pay out of pocket?

I also have a leaking band. I have had my band for over 3 years and had lost over 160 pounds. At out 9 months ago I started packing it back on and quick! I went to the doctor 3 months ago and had gained a whopping 80 pounds. The doc checked my band under fluero and did an endoscopy. He still has been unable to find the leak. I am scheduled for surgery in 3 weeks to check the port and if the leak is not in the port he is going to replace the actual band. I am heartsick because I was so successful and am now so far off track. I am also heartsick because the cost is killing me. Although thankfully I have insurance I still have an out of pocket to my doc for nearly $500 and still have to pay the hospital (cost unknown at this time). In the meantime I have done research and found that the Realize Band was recalled at one point. I am disturbed I didn't know this and have to wonder if this is part of my problem. I am wondering if anyone else has seen this kind of problem???

I too was just diagnosed with a leak. I am just over 10 months out. I lost about 50 lbs between Sept and Jan. Then, I just stopped. I thought I'd reached a plateau and my body was just trying to catch up. I've struggled for over 6 months trying to work through the plateau. I had about 4-5 fills during this time and I couldn't figure out why they weren't working. I had restriction for a week or two, then I could eat the equivalent of a horse! At the end of May, that fill was done under fluro and the CNP saw that my opening was entirely too large. She just gave me a bigger fill. At my next appt, just this week, my surgeon listened to my struggles (I have been very depressed and disappointed with my recent results or lack thereof.) He decided to do an unfill to determine how much Fluid I actually had. I should have had 5.1 cc's. I had not even 1!!! He determined I have a leak and that it is most likely in the port, since the fills seemed to work for a week or two after fills. So, now I am having surgery next week for port replacement. (Oh, and I have already had an additional surgery in December for a flipped port!) My insurance will pay for it, but I have a $1000 deductible!

I would love to hear from someone who has already gone through this fiasco. I am curious to hear what to expect next.

I also have a leaking port or band. Dr. had to fix my band last January 2011 and since then I haven't held a good fill and have not lost weight. I had only lost 40 lbs total in the first 6 months then gained 10 of it back and have stayed there until now. Its been over 2 years now. I am fighting to keep the weight gain from happening and its now getting to hard. I have started gaining and hunger is out of control again. I have had several fills since January and I lose Fluid each time. Yesterday I went to the Dr and he was in the room when they pulled out the fluid under fluoro and he said yes I have less fluid. I told him everytime I have come in it hasn't held. He was mad because I didn't come to HIM and let him know I was having problems. I thought his nurses would tell him. Anyway, I have to wait 2 more weeks and he will check it again himself. He said I may need a port change but I want him to put contrast in the tubing to see where it is leaking because I don't want to have a port change and find out it is the band not the port. My band was causing me horrible pain when they would unfill. It was so bad that he agreed something was wrong and went in and fixed it.I didn't get a new band. He adjusted the band and I wonder if he nicked it or something and thats where the problem is. He is working hard with me on my issues and gave me hope again yesterday that my HUGE cash payment for the band was worth it. I hope to lose 40 more pounds in the next year. Not asking to much but sure want the band to work properly so I can use my Tool as they constantly say. Hope is in the wind. He hasn't talked about money to do this so I don't know how much it will be. My insurance now coveres Lapband and they will cover me also after appeals on my part were done when I found out they covered the surgery when I had it done. They told me it wasn't a covered expense and the book said that and so did the on line benefits. So I paid out of pocket for it.

We must keep the faith. I read so much about it not working and all the problems. I am counting on my DR to get me back on track and he seems to be willing so we will see.

I had my lap band installed in Mexico in 2008. I have a fill Dr. here in Calif. In January I started to increase my food portions and started to gain weight. (All Bad.) I waited untill July to visit my Dr. He tried to unfill me to see how much fill I had I was empty. The Dr. tried to use a sticky substance to close up my leak no luck. A week later California Dr. replaced my port and tubbing. I have had 4 sm fills since surgery now I am up to 4cc's and have restriction and have started to lose the 20 lbs I gained. My insurance covered all costs.

My Allergan port was leaking, I gained 20 pounds and had to go back on insulin, obviously this had a negative affect on my health. Got the port replaced (had to pay the cost myself). Dr. video'd the port while injecting saline and clearly the leak is visible from the back of the port. My doc has had several patients with the same problem and sent the ports back to Allergan for testing. I called Allergan and filed a report, several days later, another Allergan rep called, said my port was being tested and the results would go to my Dr., he would not discuss any of the other ports' test results. He also said he understood that I'd like to be reimbursed for my port replacement surgery and that he'd sent me the paperwork needed for them to begin the process. Wow. No argument, no questions. Seems to me that Allergan knows there's a problem. I'd like to speak to an attorney before I sign anything. And if you have had a similar issue with an Allergan band, call them and file a report. I think this problem is bigger than we think.

I wanted to ask how many of you have had a leaking Lap Band port? What if anything was done to resolve this? Did you pay out of pocket?

My wife and I both have lap bands.

Hers failed within 6 months she had port replaced. Now OK

I have had 18 ml put in and only show 9ml. I believe I also have a leak.

I have an Allergan Lap band my surgery was April 13th, 2011, I had 8 fills first and last was done under flouro, I have not at anytime felt any restriction for more then 72 hours, last month I had port replacment surgery, before the surgery I had talked to allergan about compensating me and they gave me a claim/case number and said they would send me a box to return the port, before going in to surgery I told my doctor of this request and she confirmed that they would NOT throw it away "trust me" and they would be the ones to send it back, so after surgery I called Allergan and they said they would send the doctors office the box. but at my post op appt I was told the hospitial threw it away..................hummmmmmmm

I wrote up a request and and listed my out of pocket and all my bill with supporting documents and faxed them to the number as instructed per Allergan but when I called to get the fax number Allergan was very specific about having the band returned to them. its a hard road and my heart goes out to anyone having to go through it.

btw my doctor stated that I am the 4th person out of 2000. surgerys he has done and that out of us 4 nobody has ever recieved a dime and a couple have gotten attorneys and that after a few months they have just dropped it.

Hello. I am having similar port leaks as you all. Can anyone tell me what surgery was like?

Hi - I was banded in 2004 in BC Canada. I lost about 85 lbs. About 8 months ago my fills started not working. I'd get a fill and within two days I had no restriction. I had dye tests done for leakage. No leakage. He surgically checked my port to pressure test it and it was fine. I have been on antibiotics for months. I have grim pain around my port and am on antibiotics again. I have had many CT scans but they can't see anything wrong with my band. I also have a low grade fever. I take Tramacet for pain. I have gained 40 lbs. my surgeon has told me he does not know what is going on. Its scary, the pain is terrible and I feel ill. He is doing everything he can to save this band. I at my wits end! Feedback welcome.

It is not possible to detect the leak in a port by radiological means. Think about it The difference between a working band and 1 which is not working is 1 ml of Fluid. if it leaked out over 2 days that would be 0.35 ul per minute. even if we assumed the body took 10 minutes to absorb this flow you would be looking for a spot of fluid smaller than a speck of dust.

Hello - what is the procedure to detect a leak then.

It is not possible to detect the leak in a port by radiological means. Think about it The difference between a working band and 1 which is not working is 1 ml of Fluid. if it leaked out over 2 days that would be 0.35 ul per minute. even if we assumed the body took 10 minutes to absorb this flow you would be looking for a spot of fluid smaller than a speck of dust.

Hello Andrew - what is the correct way to detect a leak?

We figured out I had a leak in mine...what they withdrew just didn't match up to what should've been in there. Very simple procedure. Didn't even put me all the way out just gave me propophoyl (sp?). Found a small split in the tubing. In and out of the hospital in about 4-5 hours. Thankfully insurance covered all but 100$