Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ugh not another band is a "tool" person

Ok If I hear one more person or article say the band is a "tool" I may have to scream. No sh** its a tool but for me its like having a hammer and its missing the head of it. So my band is in place and is pretty full, got it. When they do I feel nothing? No wait I do feel something and its reflux, even when drinking Water. The only time I lost any weight since having my band done 4 yrs ago was when I was on the next to nothing diet. My Dr had me terrified of solid food so I ate broth for 2 months and wouldn't ya know I lost weight...go figure. But was I hungry, more like starved! I never thought more about food in my entire life than when I wasn't allowed to chew a single thing.

I know what I should eat and how many calories I should consume and if I could have done that without any help why on earth would I have gone through surgery? So now I have this foreign body in me that does absolutely nothing! GRRRRRRRR.

Wow, feeling a bit better for getting that out. Thanks for listening.

Wow, you are sure a bitter person....your aura tells me you probably never worked the band and lie to yourself about your food intake....I can't very well wish you luck, but I do wish you peace.

Mimi

You're band is pretty full, you get reflux when drinking Water and you are not losing weight? Sounds like the red zone to me! You are too tight!!

I'm really sorry you're having such an issue with your band. I won't apologize for calling the band a tool, because that's what it is. It isn't going to work magic, or instantly fix anything. But you already know that.

My band is working just exactly like I'd expect any TOOL to work. But like any tool, it needs to be worked properly to do its job. If you're having these outrageous side effects, you need to talk to somebody about adjustments to get it in line. That's why it's called an adjustable gastric band - so it can be tuned up. It will only work as well as it's set up to work.

So even though I won't criticize, I do have to say, after four years of suffering as you have, I'd sure as hell be making a lot of noise to my doctor about it. Or I'd find myself another doctor. There is no reason to suffer with having a band, if it's properly adjusted.

Good luck!

Dave

I really truly believe that the band doesn't work for everyone. I whole heatedly believe that some people can get fill after fill until they're too tight, but never be able to hit and sort of "green zone" or "sweet spot". My understanding is that doctors STILL don't know the exact science of how the band causes people to stop feeling hungry- since the food doesn't sit in the upper pouch like they used to think, what exactly happens to ring the "I'm not hungry" bell?

That being said, I also think a lot of people get banded without bring told what the band is supposed to do for them. They expect the band to keep them from over-eating, or to make them feel full quickly, or even to make it so they get sick if they eat too much. Doctors tell them this! People don't realize that all it's supposed to do is to make you no longer feel hungry after a small(er) portion of solid foods. So if you get the surgery expecting the band to do something it doesn't... heck yeah you're going to have problems.

So i'm sending you some sympathy, and I'm curious what you expected the band to do for you. Seems even in the past couple of years, doctors have started to explain the results of the surgery differently.

I really truly believe that the band doesn't work for everyone. I whole heatedly believe that some people can get fill after fill until they're too tight, but never be able to hit and sort of "green zone" or "sweet spot". My understanding is that doctors STILL don't know the exact science of how the band causes people to stop feeling hungry- since the food doesn't sit in the upper pouch like they used to think, what exactly happens to ring the "I'm not hungry" bell?

That being said, I also think a lot of people get banded without bring told what the band is supposed to do for them. They expect the band to keep them from over-eating, or to make them feel full quickly, or even to make it so they get sick if they eat too much. Doctors tell them this! People don't realize that all it's supposed to do is to make you no longer feel hungry after a small(er) portion of solid foods. So if you get the surgery expecting the band to do something it doesn't... heck yeah you're going to have problems.

So i'm sending you some sympathy, and I'm curious what you expected the band to do for you. Seems even in the past couple of years, doctors have started to explain the results of the surgery differently.

I expected to feel less hunger and be satisfied with much smaller portions. While even before the band I wasn't a person to consume large portions I was told I would only be able to eat maybe 2-3 bites of something and then feel full. I was also told that if I ate small amounts of food 6x daily I would not feel hunger. I can with absolute certainty that even when I was doing Protein drinks for meals and following a very strict diet, I was very hungry. So yes I will say that this "tool" has not done anything for me. People can criticize all they want but if the only difference I feel from the band has been reflux how can anyone say this is a tool for me?

I went through all the classes, the mental health prep, the support group meetings, and the pre-surgery diet. I did not go into this half heartedly, nor did I expect it to work like a magic pill. I expected help with weight loss. I expected that I would rarely be to the point of feeling starving and therefore I can make better choices for food. I expected that small portions would fill me and if I chose Protein first I would be satisfied.

I am now feeling like more of a failure than before the surgery.

I'm sorry to read that you are unhappy with the band. I've only had my band for about 3 weeks so I'm in no position to judge you or the band. I'm curious .. have you lost any weight since you got the band?

I'm sorry to read that you are unhappy with the band. I've only had my band for about 3 weeks so I'm in no position to judge you or the band. I'm curious .. have you lost any weight since you got the band?

I would say the most I had lost ever was about 28 lbs. This was pretty much right after surgery and within I would say about 6 mos. For the first 2 months I was barely eating any solids at all and was completely miserable.

Once I resumed eating solids the weight stopped coming off and after about 1 year I began to regain.

I do want to mention that I do exercise regularly. I enjoy doing cardio at the gym 3-5 days a week, usually about 35 min and about 3 miles on the elliptical.

What do you eat?

I mean, I was never told 2 to 3 tbspns of food, I was told a cup or so per meal and that's how its pretty much been, but I do fill up on fibrous foods like salads and stuff and for that, you need your band to be a bit looser. Its easy to fail to recognise just what the band *can* do for you and get tighter and tighter in this crazy Quest to be satisfied eating virtually nothing. Your body is too clever for that, you WILL be hungry no matter how tight you are.

I got quite tight myself in that Quest to lose the last 15 mid last year. Got diagnosed with cancer and had to have a surgery for which my band had to be totally unfilled. I suddenly could eat bread, salads, fruit, all the hard stuff I'd missed. All the hard stuff that is low in fact and calories - unlike the denser slider foods I'd been unconsciously consuming. My weight actually dropped alarmingly with an UNfilled band, simply due to suddenly eating properly again. I took control of the portion sizes and the avoiding eating between meals, and it was harder with an unfilled band, but with the right foods, wow, I lost a lot of weight. Maybe an unfill and a committment to that sort of healthy diet could help you?

I dont know about anyone else but for me, if I can stick to something like oatmeal and fruit in the morning (say 3/4 cup hot oatmeal with a few tinned peaches on top), a protein/salad based sandwich for lunch and then a regular family meat and 3 veg type dinner, with no Snacks, I lose weight pretty darn fast. As long as my band is loose enough to allow me to eat about a cup at a time that way, I exercise and I avoid in between meal eating even if I'm a bit peckish that is.

Its hard to tell when someone posts like this whether they are simply missing the signals and not quite "getting" it, in which case I think some people genuinely need empathy for their frustration and guidance in how to fix the problem, and some people need a wake up and smell the coffee kinda lecture. But I think there's also people who simply cannot find that balance between good restriction and overtightness, whether due to some physical/physiological reason or simply due to their particular brand of eating issues. I even think it may take a bit of soul searching for you to realise which of those apply to you personally.

"I can with absolute certainty that even when I was doing Protein drinks for meals and following a very strict diet, I was very hungry. So yes I will say that this "tool" has not done anything for me. People can criticize all they want but if the only difference I feel from the band has been reflux how can anyone say this is a tool for me?"

I don't think it is for you! If it is making you sick and your not losing weight why don't you have it removed instead of complaining and making your life miserable.

I expected to feel less hunger and be satisfied with much smaller portions. While even before the band I wasn't a person to consume large portions I was told I would only be able to eat maybe 2-3 bites of something and then feel full. I was also told that if I ate small amounts of food 6x daily I would not feel hunger. I can with absolute certainty that even when I was doing Protein Drinks for meals and following a very strict diet, I was very hungry. So yes I will say that this "tool" has not done anything for me. People can criticize all they want but if the only difference I feel from the band has been reflux how can anyone say this is a tool for me?

I went through all the classes, the mental health prep, the support group meetings, and the pre-surgery diet. I did not go into this half heartedly, nor did I expect it to work like a magic pill. I expected help with weight loss. I expected that I would rarely be to the point of feeling starving and therefore I can make better choices for food. I expected that small portions would fill me and if I chose Protein first I would be satisfied.

I am now feeling like more of a failure than before the surgery.

I think that Drs that tell people that they will only be able to eat 2 - 3 bits and won't be hungry should be rounded up and shot. OK joking but at the very least they should have their licences revoked. It is not possible to get all the nutrition the body needs from 3 bites of food 3 times a day. The head hunger would be overwhelming as you would be looking at all the yummy foods that you were "too full" too eat and be craving them anyway. The body would be screaming out for food and nutrition. You would starve and end up looking like an anorexic or a famine victim. Not a good look.

I swear that the majority of problems where people are unhappy with their bands are caused by Drs that market it incorrectly and give all this misinformation before the op. Those that have researched and/or been given the correct information tend to do a lot better.

Ok If I hear one more person or article say the band is a "tool" I may have to scream. No sh** its a tool but for me its like having a hammer and its missing the head of it. So my band is in place and is pretty full, got it. When they do I feel nothing? No wait I do feel something and its reflux, even when drinking Water. The only time I lost any weight since having my band done 4 yrs ago was when I was on the next to nothing diet. My Dr had me terrified of solid food so I ate broth for 2 months and wouldn't ya know I lost weight...go figure. But was I hungry, more like starved! I never thought more about food in my entire life than when I wasn't allowed to chew a single thing.

I know what I should eat and how many calories I should consume and if I could have done that without any help why on earth would I have gone through surgery? So now I have this foreign body in me that does absolutely nothing! GRRRRRRRR.

Wow, feeling a bit better for getting that out. Thanks for listening.

Hi! i have had my band for 3 years banded in 2008...long story short, never had good restriction, got pregnant, got complete unfil, just started getting fills again. i currently have a fill that feels perfect, i haven't wanted to post anything cause i didn't want to jinx it, normally i get a fill and i'm like ok this is awesome and then a week later i can eat everything under the sun. before i was pregnant my last fill was definately too tight, ended up eating junk cause chewing normal food a million times would not help it go down and i was still hungry ALL the time.

my office was kinda on the defensive, i guess cause so many people go in complaining, but i'm like you have to work with me, there was one time they didn't want to give me a fill cause my xray looked like i had "good restriction" and i just had to tell them in my nicest most polite voice, i can go eat a big mac, a can of tuna, chicken , and have a half a dozen brownies and never flinch.

this past time i knew i was close, carbs were getting hard to go down, i had to chew my meat well, only thing was i was still HUNGRY!!!...i asked for small fill...and i'll be darn its like 0 .3cc from where i was when i was so restricted everything got stuck...and finally after being the only darn person with the lap band that didn't lose weight, i'm finally getting the scale to move, i'm NOT hungry between meals...definately 1/2 a cup to a whole cup of food at meals, my toddler daughter eats more than me. :) so what i'm saying is...dude after 3 years i was calling it a loss, i was looking into getting phentermine again, i was back on weight watchers...yet there was my $15,000 TOOL not working. so i'm thinking you need to ask for a SMALL unfill and give at least 2 weeks...i swear some people hit that perfect spot and have a giant range and for me, it was a small difference of 0.3 cc's. hey if you want a buddy and wanna give this another try...message me, i definately know what it is to be a stuggling bandster!!!

I think that Drs that tell people that they will only be able to eat 2 - 3 bits and won't be hungry should be rounded up and shot. OK joking but at the very least they should have their licences revoked. It is not possible to get all the nutrition the body needs from 3 bites of food 3 times a day. The head hunger would be overwhelming as you would be looking at all the yummy foods that you were "too full" too eat and be craving them anyway. The body would be screaming out for food and nutrition. You would starve and end up looking like an anorexic or a famine victim. Not a good look.

I swear that the majority of problems where people are unhappy with their bands are caused by Drs that market it incorrectly and give all this misinformation before the op. Those that have researched and/or been given the correct information tend to do a lot better.

totally agree~ ! There is no way you can get all the calories you need in a day if you could only eat a few oz at each meal. My hair would be falling out for lack of nutrition! I dont like being too tight. I am known to eat around my band "easy food" . I can eat chips and sweets easily & have a hard time staying away from them. I have found having my band does not get rid of the head hunger {DAHHHH} and it never will. I have been banded for 3 yrs and have only lost 40-50 lbs. Its an addiction for me...I cant stay away from it. :(

Hi! i have had my band for 3 years banded in 2008...long story short, never had good restriction, got pregnant, got complete unfil, just started getting fills again. i currently have a fill that feels perfect, i haven't wanted to post anything cause i didn't want to jinx it, normally i get a fill and i'm like ok this is awesome and then a week later i can eat everything under the sun. before i was pregnant my last fill was definately too tight, ended up eating junk cause chewing normal food a million times would not help it go down and i was still hungry ALL the time.

my office was kinda on the defensive, i guess cause so many people go in complaining, but i'm like you have to work with me, there was one time they didn't want to give me a fill cause my xray looked like i had "good restriction" and i just had to tell them in my nicest most polite voice, i can go eat a big mac, a can of tuna, chicken , and have a half a dozen brownies and never flinch.

this past time i knew i was close, carbs were getting hard to go down, i had to chew my meat well, only thing was i was still HUNGRY!!!...i asked for small fill...and i'll be darn its like 0 .3cc from where i was when i was so restricted everything got stuck...and finally after being the only darn person with the lap band that didn't lose weight, i'm finally getting the scale to move, i'm NOT hungry between meals...definately 1/2 a cup to a whole cup of food at meals, my toddler daughter eats more than me. :) so what i'm saying is...dude after 3 years i was calling it a loss, i was looking into getting phentermine again, i was back on weight watchers...yet there was my $15,000 TOOL not working. so i'm thinking you need to ask for a SMALL unfill and give at least 2 weeks...i swear some people hit that perfect spot and have a giant range and for me, it was a small difference of 0.3 cc's. hey if you want a buddy and wanna give this another try...message me, i definately know what it is to be a stuggling bandster!!!

This sounds a lot like me.