Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cant keep anything down??

Hi, relatively new here so just trying to get some like-minded folks' opinions. I'm 3 years out from my band...in fact I havent had an adjustment in over 2.5 of those years. Been under quite a bit of stress the past few months; however...the past few days have had an unusual amount of difficulty eating...ANYthing. Today I'm having trouble even DRINKING anything!? So weird. Yes, I daily have the slime-times..still. And yesterday and today, there hasnt been a time with a BITE of soft food or drink that the saliva hasnt just accumulated so much that I have to get it out. So I'm figuring by now, I'm pretty dehydrated! Grr! I dont know what caused this, stress, sleep, choice of food/drink..this is all nothing new to me. Anyone have any suggestions??? Please!?

Hi, relatively new here so just trying to get some like-minded folks' opinions. I'm 3 years out from my band...in fact I havent had an adjustment in over 2.5 of those years. Been under quite a bit of stress the past few months; however...the past few days have had an unusual amount of difficulty eating...ANYthing. Today I'm having trouble even DRINKING anything!? So weird. Yes, I daily have the slime-times..still. And yesterday and today, there hasnt been a time with a BITE of soft food or drink that the saliva hasnt just accumulated so much that I have to get it out. So I'm figuring by now, I'm pretty dehydrated! Grr! I dont know what caused this, stress, sleep, choice of food/drink..this is all nothing new to me. Anyone have any suggestions??? Please!?

If it were me I would call my doctor you may have a slip.

sounds like a slip, id call DR

How long since you seen your Dr.?

I would go in and see him.

Its been almost a year. As I said, havent had any problems whatsoever. The usual daily stuff of course but pretty routine.

Now, however, I'm scared to death. If it IS a slip, can they just reduce the fill? I mean, its only been today - ONE DAY - that its felt different...and I was on a bus trip all yesterday drinking and eating (a little only of each) full of germs. Attributed to food poisoning of some kind? I guess I'll call on Monday and see....??? if not better by then.

Did I mention, very scared?

Thank you for your responses!!!

How long since you seen your Dr.?

I would go in and see him.

I feel as the others do, but please stop trying to eat., If it is a slip or not you may have irritate your throat and it is swollen. I don't know where you are but I had something similar last year. For me high temps will caused me to tighten up. I got to a point were I couldn't get anything down. Doc had to do an unfill and he said that I should have gone on liquids for a couple of days and worked my way back up. Here we have reached 110 with the heat index and I have felt like I have overeaten from the time I get up until I go to bed. I don't even want Water. I have been sipping a Protein Drink in the morning and eating softer foods like tuna salad in very small amounts. I know I'm tighter, I just feel like I have already eaten all day. Working hard to get my liquids in so I don't cause a different problem. There is also major stress in my life right now, but I'm going with the heat thing. I even have trouble taking my meds right now. :(

Its been almost a year. As I said, havent had any problems whatsoever. The usual daily stuff of course but pretty routine.

Now, however, I'm scared to death. If it IS a slip, can they just reduce the fill? I mean, its only been today - ONE DAY - that its felt different...and I was on a bus trip all yesterday drinking and eating (a little only of each) full of germs. Attributed to food poisoning of some kind? I guess I'll call on Monday and see....??? if not better by then.

Did I mention, very scared?

Thank you for your responses!!!

sorry i cant figure out how to reply to you email =( so i will write here.

Try to relax, of you are not in pain, everything is ok, yes they can take liquid out if it is a slip. Also maybe repair surgery, but if u are not in pain I doubt that. PLEASE call ur DR on Monday, we here are not Dr;s just give advice basd on our personal success and failers. Some people have a slip for months and do not even know it, My Dr says there should be not Daily stuff ( throw up, sliming, pain,pbing ect ect) a normal band life does not included things like that, BUT again my DR's opinion,

I have a slip, 3 months out to the day, i ate with my hand 9 not a small fork) and ate to big of a piece, and ate to fast. I was in severe pain for hours and throwing up for hours, and dry heaving that is what caused my slip.

but daily thowing up is not normal IMO.

try to stay on liquids untill u can talk to u dr, food may make it worse

Thank you for the in depth explanation! Im in Eastern IA, and the temps here are about 100 the past 2 weeks. Today I wake up and it doesnt feel so uncomfortable, but I will start with liquids the next few days. Thanks for the suggestion. At least today I feel a little hungry, whereas yesterday, I really didnt. And I did attribute that to something I ate Wednesday night, the last time I went to dinner out and ate and drank like normal. Woke up Thursday with a cramp like something died in my stomach, but continued to eat and drink through that day too (it was my birthday and we went to a ballgame, so....)

Keep you updated and thanks so very much!!!

Jena

I feel as the others do, but please stop trying to eat., If it is a slip or not you may have irritate your throat and it is swollen. I don't know where you are but I had something similar last year. For me high temps will caused me to tighten up. I got to a point were I couldn't get anything down. Doc had to do an unfill and he said that I should have gone on liquids for a couple of days and worked my way back up. Here we have reached 110 with the heat index and I have felt like I have overeaten from the time I get up until I go to bed. I don't even want Water. I have been sipping a Protein drink in the morning and eating softer foods like tuna salad in very small amounts. I know I'm tighter, I just feel like I have already eaten all day. Working hard to get my liquids in so I don't cause a different problem. There is also major stress in my life right now, but I'm going with the heat thing. I even have trouble taking my meds right now. :(

Thanks Melissa, I appreciate your reply. No I am not in any pain, it was just uncomfortable, you know. And as a banded patient, I think we all know what our personal comfort levels are. Well this was different. As I told another member, I last ate (half a taco and a drink) Wednesday night out. After that, my whole dinner party didnt feel well on Thursday, yet I had my birthday trip so I did drink coffee and some OJ but didnt eat much (cant do both, you know). I attributed it to my stomach being irritated from that, but time will tell.

I dont really "throw up" every day, but depending on what, how, much, etc I eat...(AND I NEVER KNOW THIS FROM DAY TO DAY), I will have that slime. If I give it time, it goes down, but its uncomfortable sitting there for sure, so I get it out. I did have some dry heaving in the middle of the night Wed and Thurs both, I attributed to that eatging out meal...so who knows? Who knows what our stomachs look and act like at this point?

Today I will try liquids and yes I will definitely call on Monday.

Thank you so much for sharing. You have to talk to like-minded people to get support, I think. No one else understands. Its awfully scary though!

Thanks again, jena

sorry i cant figure out how to reply to you email =( so i will write here.

Try to relax, of you are not in pain, everything is ok, yes they can take liquid out if it is a slip. Also maybe repair surgery, but if u are not in pain I doubt that. PLEASE call ur DR on Monday, we here are not Dr;s just give advice basd on our personal success and failers. Some people have a slip for months and do not even know it, My Dr says there should be not Daily stuff ( throw up, sliming, pain,pbing ect ect) a normal band life does not included things like that, BUT again my DR's opinion,

I have a slip, 3 months out to the day, i ate with my hand 9 not a small fork) and ate to big of a piece, and ate to fast. I was in severe pain for hours and throwing up for hours, and dry heaving that is what caused my slip.

but daily thowing up is not normal IMO.

try to stay on liquids untill u can talk to u dr, food may make it worse

Hi Jena, I am 3.5 years out. Hope you are feeling better. If you cannot get liquids down, call your doc. Even though it is the weekend, he'll have someone on call. You do NOT want to get dehydrated. It is just plain dangerous.

You can go without food, but not liquid. It appears you are getting liquids down now, but if that changes, give the office # a call. There should be an answering service to put you in touch with someone who can give you advice. Even if it is just to go to urgent care for some fluids until you can see your surgeon. I'd do this even if the cause is food poisoning. No fluids in is NOT a good thing.

Just something to consider, if you are having daily issues getting food down, you might think of a very slight unfill. Just a tad so that you aren't having daily trauma to your stomach and band. I get stuck about 1-2 times per month, and it is usually my fault. Taking too big of a bite or eating too fast.

call your doc asap

Denise, thank you so much for your reply. I tried to have some coffee and again, just a sip or two, so I called. He said it could be gastritis or lots of other things irritating it, making it tighter too...no matter the time out from surgery. He said if I cant get a few quarts down per day then this is where we should start. Whew. He's meeting me at ER to take Fluid out of the band, I feed relieved and I'm glad I called. And glad i posted to get some support and advice. Thank you again. Keep you posted!!

Jena

Hi Jena, I am 3.5 years out. Hope you are feeling better. If you cannot get liquids down, call your doc. Even though it is the weekend, he'll have someone on call. You do NOT want to get dehydrated. It is just plain dangerous.

You can go without food, but not liquid. It appears you are getting liquids down now, but if that changes, give the office # a call. There should be an answering service to put you in touch with someone who can give you advice. Even if it is just to go to urgent care for some fluids until you can see your surgeon. I'd do this even if the cause is food poisoning. No fluids in is NOT a good thing.

Just something to consider, if you are having daily issues getting food down, you might think of a very slight unfill. Just a tad so that you aren't having daily trauma to your stomach and band. I get stuck about 1-2 times per month, and it is usually my fault. Taking too big of a bite or eating too fast.

Denise, thank you so much for your reply. I tried to have some coffee and again, just a sip or two, so I called. He said it could be gastritis or lots of other things irritating it, making it tighter too...no matter the time out from surgery. He said if I cant get a few quarts down per day then this is where we should start. Whew. He's meeting me at ER to take Fluid out of the band, I feed relieved and I'm glad I called. And glad i posted to get some support and advice. Thank you again. Keep you posted!!

Jena

I am VERY glad you called! And glad he is meeting you to take the fluid out. ER docs are fantastic, but I don't think they have much experience with unfilling bands!

Hope you feel better as soon as the fluid is out. Then once the irritation is gone, you should be able to put it back. An Upper GI can pick up a slip, I think. But if he is unfilling you, he might just leave it that way for a bit and see how you do.

Feel better soon!!!

I am glad you called! I am going through the exact same thing! It sux! Im 2.5 years out and doc just took ALL my Fluid. He believes I have a slip. I will have an upper GI on Tuesday, to confirm (hopefully deny) this. You did the right thing by calling your doc... I waited for 2 months... I REFUSED to get an unfill, but then I passed out. Dehydration. I was stupid for not calling sooner! Lets us know what your doc says!